Help my computer not suck

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I'm lost and could use some tech support. :)

My PC regularly, and often, freezes up and restarts itself. Blue screen just before shutdown says it had a DPC_Watchdog_violation. My searches say it's some hardware conflict, and I need to update drivers--I've done that, haven't found anything in need of updating. Where do I go from here to figure out what is happening?

It doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing, it can/has done it. What I mean is, it doesn't seem to happen any more or less often with certain applications. It's annoying when I'm surfing, and really frustrating when I'm doing actual useful stuff. (CAD work or similar)

Halp?

BBbov_hCUAEMj2r.jpg

RockChucker

I'm no help. Did you come across this link?
Did you work through steps like outlined for scenario 1? Since that sounds like your issue. Have you tried unplugging USB drives, or other devices like that and seeing if it still happens?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Any patches you could apply from Lenovo? I'd imagine you've tried that already? I have to admit, I have not seen this error in Win 10. However, I've mostly run Dell units with specific corporate images that may or may not be susceptible to this error.

shortstraw8

I am not a windows guy so I say install linux:)

Did you upgrade to Win11 from 10?
I would grab a new driver pgk and try it just to be sure

I assume you are set to the correct ahci setting in bios and registry
My sisters HP laptop had an issue similar and the drive was going bad but it was old old, replaced it and issue was gone, can you run a chkdisk?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
How old is the computer and was win10 installed when you got it?

My guess is you just need to do a clean install but answering the questions above will help clarify a couple things. If you can do without it for a day or two I can probably help with the clean install.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins

My guess is you just need to do a clean install but answering the questions above will help clarify a couple things. If you can do without it for a day or two I can probably help with the clean install.
You are clearly a seasoned IT Professional, "F it. Blow it away and reinstall." :D

I'm lost and could use some tech support. :)

My PC regularly, and often, freezes up and restarts itself. Blue screen just before shutdown says it had a DPC_Watchdog_violation. My searches say it's some hardware conflict, and I need to update drivers--I've done that, haven't found anything in need of updating. Where do I go from here to figure out what is happening?

It doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing, it can/has done it. What I mean is, it doesn't seem to happen any more or less often with certain applications. It's annoying when I'm surfing, and really frustrating when I'm doing actual useful stuff. (CAD work or similar)

Halp?

BBbov_hCUAEMj2r.jpg

Here's a fairly detailed How To on ways to resolve it (even has pictures!):

As has been stated, get on Lenovo's website and download any hardware patches that might be available for your device. If you upgraded from Windows 10 to 11, there might be a driver that Windows Update is missing that you'll need to install manually.

And if none of that works, nuke it from space. Its the only way to be sure. I'm in sunny Southern Utah until Sunday, but next week I can give you a hand if you'd like. I have copies of every version of Windows in the history of Windows. So if you want Windows 3.11, we can make that happen.

61e366a8b7e6d03e1abb99efa7e76f22d4abaef33d903dbe56eb57771f7d1f3f.png

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I'm no help. Did you come across this link?
Did you work through steps like outlined for scenario 1? Since that sounds like your issue. Have you tried unplugging USB drives, or other devices like that and seeing if it still happens?
Yes I have, with no changes. Scenario 2 didn't apply (correct driver already installed, according to that thing), and #3 scared me. :)
Any patches you could apply from Lenovo? I'd imagine you've tried that already? I have to admit, I have not seen this error in Win 10. However, I've mostly run Dell units with specific corporate images that may or may not be susceptible to this error.
I just tried again and Lenovo updated something related to gaming that I don't do. So I'll go ahead and assume it also won't fix anything.
Have you tried turning it off and then turning it back on again?

🤣
I'll try doing that the next time it restarts itself. :rofl:
I am not a windows guy so I say install linux:)

Did you upgrade to Win11 from 10?
I would grab a new driver pgk and try it just to be sure

I assume you are set to the correct ahci setting in bios and registry
My sisters HP laptop had an issue similar and the drive was going bad but it was old old, replaced it and issue was gone, can you run a chkdisk?
I have wondered if Linux would solve everything. I've just never tried it so I'm afraid of the unknown. :)

I also assume I'm set to the correct ahci setting in bios and registry. But I can't say I know how to check those, nor how to tell if they're correct.

I will chkdisk now-ish

It's about 2 years old now. It did have Win10, I allowed the Win11 update hoping it would change this problem. I can certainly do without it if you want to play with it. :cool:
You are clearly a seasoned IT Professional, "F it. Blow it away and reinstall." :D

Here's a fairly detailed How To on ways to resolve it (even has pictures!):

As has been stated, get on Lenovo's website and download any hardware patches that might be available for your device. If you upgraded from Windows 10 to 11, there might be a driver that Windows Update is missing that you'll need to install manually.

And if none of that works, nuke it from space. Its the only way to be sure. I'm in sunny Southern Utah until Sunday, but next week I can give you a hand if you'd like. I have copies of every version of Windows in the history of Windows. So if you want Windows 3.11, we can make that happen.

61e366a8b7e6d03e1abb99efa7e76f22d4abaef33d903dbe56eb57771f7d1f3f.png
I went though that how-to as well with no luck. How would I know if I need to install a driver manually if Winders can't tell me I need it?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Hmm, chkdsk tells me I don't have sufficient privileges to run it. I'm not my own administrator? I wonder what that's about?

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I went though that how-to as well with no luck. How would I know if I need to install a driver manually if Winders can't tell me I need it?

Often times OEM's have a tool that will scan your device and tell you if there is anything that is out of date. Or you can check version numbers.

Hmm, chkdsk tells me I don't have sufficient privileges to run it. I'm not my own administrator? I wonder what that's about?

From the Windows menu, type in CMD. Then when you see the Command Prompt icon, right click on it and choose, "Run as Administrator". From the prompt, type "chkdsk", hit Enter and it should run.

shortstraw8

I don't have a windows in front of me and it has been some time, but I think you can right click the drive go to properties and find the tool to run it as admin. Or run cmd as admin. iirc I ran chkdsk C: /f and that did nothing then I tried /r and /b to find bad sectors, I also think you have to reboot in between since the drive can't be in use and they run on bootup and reports to event viewer.

Linux might work depending on what you use it for, ubuntu would probably be most user friendly distro for linux, but if you use proprietary software you probably are better off with windows.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
It's about 2 years old now. It did have Win10, I allowed the Win11 update hoping it would change this problem. I can certainly do without it if you want to play with it. :cool:
So you have had this issue even on Win10, before you upgraded? I would have guessed not but generally windows doesn't do upgrades to big releases very well. With that in mind and if it was something that was mine... I'd still nuke it and do a clean install. Maybe do a bios firmware update but a clean install for sure.

If you want to bring it over today I can do some fiddling. I'd suggest backing up any files you'd like to keep before you bring it over if thats feasible.

The only other question I'd have if you want to go this route is whether you want to go back to win10 or stay with win11.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
CHKDSK says:

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

So you have had this issue even on Win10, before you upgraded? I would have guessed not but generally windows doesn't do upgrades to big releases very well. With that in mind and if it was something that was mine... I'd still nuke it and do a clean install. Maybe do a bios firmware update but a clean install for sure.

If you want to bring it over today I can do some fiddling. I'd suggest backing up any files you'd like to keep before you bring it over if thats feasible.

The only other question I'd have if you want to go this route is whether you want to go back to win10 or stay with win11.
Correct, it did this prior to Win11.

I don't really care if 10 or 11....I honestly haven't noticed any functional differences between the two. Just appearance changes. Lemme wait until my son gets home, make sure he doesn't have any files on it he needs. I'll text ya. And thanks!

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I guess the only other thing I need now is a good wallpaper. Do any of you guys have suggestions?