Jeep Help trying to find 79 CJ7 Frame blueprint

badger3445

Badger3445
Does anyone know where I might be able to find or buy a detailed frame blueprint or 3D CAD drawing. I'm wanting to build a cage for my 1979 JEEP CJ-7 and want to design it in a 3D CAD software first, and I want to be lazy and not have to spend hours measuring my own frame to put it in the software. I attempted to contact an aftermarket frame building manufacturer, but they wouldn't release their drawings for any reason. I know this is a wild request, but I thought I would put it out there before I start the tedious process.

Thanks Y'all!!

-Badger3445

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I would be seriously impressed if you can find better measurements than this. This should get you in the right direction. Having said that, I would print this picture and then promptly wad it up and throw it away. This is Jeep we're talking about. And 1979. No two jeeps ever came off the line with the same measurements. And even if they did, who's to say your Jeep still retains these measurements after 40 years? You still need to spend some time with a tape measure figuring out your frame measurements, and more importantly how your frame and your tub fit together. I promise you will end up disappointed in your cage fitment if you go off the numbers listed below.

And while we are on the subject, I assume you are using Bend Tech software for the CAD. It's a great system. The problem with these, and any CAD system is that they are too perfect. This means that if you don't cut, notch and bend each tube exactly perfect, your cage wont fit together the way you wanted it to. I have a ton of hours behind Bend Tech and CJ (and Jeeps in general) roll cages. I like to draw up each tube one at a time, then fab it and install it. You'll find there is only a couple tubes that really benefit from drawing in CAD first anyways. Don't waste time on all the straight tubes, and there should be more of them than anything else. The best is if you have the program on a laptop and out in the shop with you. Just draw up the tube and then look at it specs and fab it right off the computer screen. Being able to print the notch templates is great though on those crazy angle notches.

badger3445

Badger3445
Thanks Unstuck,
I have this print as well, but I was looking for more dimensions and detail. I'm also aware of the imperfections off the line but wanted a solid starting point then I would modify it to my own CJ. I agree in most cases the CAD software will make it too perfect, which is why flexibility is important. I want to design the actual cage before I build, mostly so I can see it and make changes to the design before jumping in and making mistakes and changing my mind mid build. My tub is rusted completely out and there isn't much left to even use, so I want to design and build a full cage and body, and the engineer in me wants it documented so that I can duplicate it or make mods if so desired.
I do appreciate your help though

Happy Crawlin'!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
....My tub is rusted completely out and there isn't much left to even use, so I want to design and build a full cage and body....

I've always wanted to take something like that and just build a streetable buggy using the exterior body panels and VIN numbers. I'm not sure if I have the talent to pull something like that off, but it's one of those things rattling around in my head.

RockChucker

I've always wanted to take something like that and just build a streetable buggy using the exterior body panels and VIN numbers. I'm not sure if I have the talent to pull something like that off, but it's one of those things rattling around in my head.

Yeah...the new goatbuilt lj build really has my wheels turning....