Help with my yardscaping plans?

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I forgot to mention, be sure you lay down a heavy mil layer of plastic under the gravel. That will force the water away from the gravel and onto the grass area. I just happened to be at the landscape supply house today. Mine is actually 1/2” gravel. I looked at their 3/4”, I thing that would do you a great job.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
The construction sites I work at often use crushed asphalt if they want it to last longer or if they are worried about sinking into the gravel. Personally I love it when they spring for the crushed asphalt, but I have no idea what the cost difference is.

Speak to me more about this crushed asphalt.. I need something for my trailer parking. I was thinking I was going to do road base.. but I was in daybreak a couple days ago and there were a few trails and parking spots that has something similar to road base but was darker and very firm.. is that crushed asphalt??

Tonkaman

Speak to me more about this crushed asphalt.. I need something for my trailer parking. I was thinking I was going to do road base.. but I was in daybreak a couple days ago and there were a few trails and parking spots that has something similar to road base but was darker and very firm.. is that crushed asphalt??
Yeah it probably was, although I’m not sure what the mentioned slag is.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I forgot to mention, be sure you lay down a heavy mil layer of plastic under the gravel. That will force the water away from the gravel and onto the grass area. I just happened to be at the landscape supply house today. Mine is actually 1/2” gravel. I looked at their 3/4”, I thing that would do you a great job.

I conveniently have quite a few very large pieces left over from the build when they were trying to protect our slab during the winter. I think that stuff will go pretty far to be honest

mbryson

Supporting Member
So, here's the gravel we got completed last week. Went with 2"- and I really like it.
y4p46ZWf6SedGspU4zIG3DVAKaTuSi1dYX1ldI40lYZPTluoGcmltrDg56pcDiPIaJLvq_Cd0gMtPG8EpdaxqRDbkpEr8Q6dd3L4UYipUcM2ft8MiuXFAf-H-8Yzaf8GTVctc-UmlbwiIIEN2LU7HUz9j3n-QujUZqhnAk8gsZzjRaqnn2OqMFK3Jnm_-hoCVwcsbarzNAGxNuPsne7_rnvV6DoRkLuyX-eDt6BCTqVQuE
5B335150-D2B1-455F-A975-874FE5BA371C.jpeg
F5DBF589-934E-41DD-A8A9-F55E2F7A8096.jpeg
24D3BEA0-8548-4777-A808-4FE5196610C5.jpeg
89432E24-C746-41A3-A01B-06FB7F2C5D83.jpeg

y4p72xuEu-ClnLouEgwLTBLMB_SKdomnhcUigiYQyKT0u0_Ay5cd2hX1hC0sPE7_zxwlMmNrjFt5kfulYquwvUbSZzrhCaOKP1t3JdRe8K8ECWDSTzbWn3OJKts531PQamPfgm5ddqKH7Rv-iqM_-ggFZ5fQBmSseQii45a9e2V_BkCH4TpwyD1sFdXg2DACUqvhU99LLJ0a67DV5jTC0HDHpv26JXM9ocotn7GNRjHN1M

I still need to do a little cleanup around the edges. I'll be doing more and more of the gravel. It really turned out well.

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
Just an update after the winter and as things start growing again. I took a whole workday putting in that lamp out front. More time than I’d like to spend but I like it a lot more than I thought I would

53F2F22B-F8CC-4538-AA79-C58068352613.jpeg
AEE8B2C4-4CA4-4338-824F-8E0C2BC088D5.jpeg

Next focal point will be this area. I want a NO maintenance space over here

FC9BD1E4-1E16-490C-AED9-7B245AD4DA5C.jpeg
My wife thought an old style gas pump over here would be cool? Looking at prices for those, I think I’ll figure something else out. We’ve talked about a well and/or windmill over there. I have lighting available and I think I’ll move our mailbox over there on the property border to share with our east neighbors.

Definitely open to ideas for that space. I do think I’ll continue the gravel at least out to the fire hydrant. Last summer there was some vines that invaded that space and I may just run with those until I come up with something else?

Last edited:

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Next focal point will be this area. I want a NO maintenance space over here

View attachment 137110
My wife thought an old style gas pump over here would be cool? Looking at prices for those, I think I’ll figure something else out. We’ve talked about a well and/or windmill over there. I have lighting available and I think I’ll move our mailbox over there on the property border to share with our east neighbors.

Definitely open to ideas for that space. I do think I’ll continue the gravel at least out to the fire hydrant. Last summer there was some vines that invaded that space and I may just run with those until I come up with something else?
I would consider a tree where you have that kinetic art - maybe a columnar norway maple (or better, a group of 3), then plant some gro low sumac in that whole area. Hardy, spreading, low water, nice fall color, quick growing. No maintenance required, just run a little drip irrigation to the plants.

mbryson

Supporting Member
I would consider a tree where you have that kinetic art - maybe a columnar norway maple (or better, a group of 3), then plant some gro low sumac in that whole area. Hardy, spreading, low water, nice fall color, quick growing. No maintenance required, just run a little drip irrigation to the plants.

just checked out the sumac and like it. What are your thoughts on lavender?

Bart

The light looks amazing, as does your house and landscaping. Well done. Our neighbor had a lavender plant and after it matured they found out that some of their grandkids were allergic to it. Ended up pulling it back out.