Help with my yardscaping plans?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I think you'll be fine, grass swallows rocks pretty fast, they will help with drainage or something ;) The house next door to me put down sod about 3 owners ago, currently it looks like a neglected house with more weeds than grass. At this point I think the owner doesn't care any more until the city shows up and tells him the weeds are too long. It's really too bad, there was some serious $ put down 3 owners ago.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
View attachment 127618View attachment 127619View attachment 127620

Front sprinkler zone complete. Holy crap there’s a LOT of smaller rocks in that dirt....
We buried the rain gutter run offs and did a pop up valve thing into the grass. Not sure if that was in your plans but I love how it turned out on ours. Yea that's a lot of money for a lot of sod. Didn't realize you had that much to put down. Our front yard was already done we just needed to do the back.

kmboren

I need to do something with those stupid tubes. Not sure I could hate something in a yard more than those
This is how it looks in the grass. Dig a trench and then this pop up thing attachs to the end then when it rains it just waters the grass. This one is ran like 60 feet from the side of our house down 20200516_214122.jpg20200516_214131.jpgand I have another shorter one on the other corner of our grass.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
This is how it looks in the grass. Dig a trench and then this pop up thing attachs to the end then when it rains it just waters the grass. This one is ran like 60 feet from the side of our house down View attachment 127621View attachment 127622and I have another shorter one on the other corner of our grass.
I have a similar one in the front yard. I can't even find where it is now, but it's still working. I should have done that with all of my gutter drains.

Tonkaman

I’ve been using the Rachio controller for a couple years now. My favorite thing is being able to turn on and off the sprinklers with my phone. Adjusting and fixing sprinklers has never been easier! Letting the kids play in the sprinklers is pretty easy too

Bart

This is how it looks in the grass. Dig a trench and then this pop up thing attachs to the end then when it rains it just waters the grass. This one is ran like 60 feet from the side of our house down

How do those work in the winter, with snow on the ground? I've got a couple I would like to run from the gutter down spouts.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
How do those work in the winter, with snow on the ground? I've got a couple I would like to run from the gutter down spouts.

I went a step further when I put my yard in back in 2017 at our new home and went with dry wells rather than just doing pop-ups. Probably overkill in our sandy soil in West Haven but I did not want drainage issues like I had at my last home in West Point with more of a clay soil. My entire roof run off goes into dry wells on my property. I have four total for the house (2 downspouts drain into each dry well) and for the shop I have two double deep drywells for each half of the roof for a total of 6 dry wells on my property.

My dry wells consist of holes about 6' in diameter by 6' deep and lined the bottom 1' with 3/4" aggregate. I then placed the 35-gallon NDS dry wells into the hole with holes cut out all around the perimeter and some on the bottom. The dry wells were about 40" tall by 32" in diameter. After the dry wells were in place and the down spouts were cut into the side I poured 3/4" aggregate all around the outside of the dry wells which ended up being about 1' of rock around the outside edge. I then put an overflow or stub coming directly up out of the top of the dry well with the pop-up at ground level. I added aggregate until there was about a foot remaining below grade. I put heavy plastic sheeting down over the dry well and aggregate to keep the ground water from entering the actual dry well and immediate area. I added about 10" of top soil above that and then the sod. The shop roof feeds into two deep dry wells.

So far with 3 winters under my belt they have worked perfectly but I do keep the pop-ups cleared of snow when clearing my driveway to allow any/all roof water to properly drain into the dry wells.

I can't answer as to how well just a drain pipe with pop-ups would work.

Mike

kmboren

Not sure Bart as I just installed them but I think in my winter they will be just fine as I live in Southern Utah. 👍I imagine if they were buried deep enough you wouldn't have a problem until the actual pop up water came out. How much rain so we really get anyways here in Utah? I did them into my grass to spread the water out. During thunder storm with heavy rain in short periods it would erode my ground and the back yard would turn into a pond against the brick wall. I am hoping the grass can help with this problem.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Ok. Been busting ass a bit the past few days. F9C63BD7-B63E-4541-9356-C27226E0D528.jpeg
I really liked operating this dawg on Friday. Took a minute to get the machine figured out but it was easy enough to run. Should have done that three weeks ago.
C0646138-0BDD-4DE8-BD19-7D00356C93BC.jpeg8E34E685-98FC-49C6-89E2-1B2A823420D8.jpeg
Ran the rain gutter drainage all the way down the side of the house, connected it to its friend at the back of the house and now it will drain on the lawn in the back through some collected rocks.

if you look closely you can see the peat moss for sprinkler zone two above. Planted on 5/26/2020. I may have green stuff poking through in 7-10 days? (It’s supposed to be pretty warm this week so we’ll see how that goes.)

661A2790-8711-43F9-9455-4847FE88D44D.jpeg
Front yard update, has green peach fuzz now. That’s after 9 days of being on the surface. I’ve had two deer go through there and a golden retriever. The deer prints are deep but it is what it is.

4B4E79AC-96BA-437C-9698-E369B4A4B7E2.jpeg
We also had a little Lincoln mishap today. That was fixed before I got home

Last edited:

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Thoughts on a Kentucky coffee tree to be a friend with my London Plantree?
Not a huge fan. Have you considered a Northern Catalpa? I’m planting one this year. One of my personal favorites, if you can make peace with the pods that drop and become ammo for kid fights

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Yes, it gets large seed pods (that were historically boiled for a frontier coffee substitute) plus giant compound leaves that when they drop in the fall get pretty gnarly E4C01D8A-DE0F-4B73-8433-3BAE4D60BE39.jpeg