Help with my yardscaping plans?

Bart

Yep, looked incredibly cross windy on take off. I thought it was pretty cool that he admittedly took the blame. Honestly I didn't think anything could hinder that plane. It was amazing.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Well, my trailer looks pretty small behind my dirt. Probably won’t have a path to the cul de sac for a month or two? Same for my Jeeps.
Deer are still in the ‘hood. Not sure when (if) they’ll bail?

C3A89F3C-CF99-4A90-9666-A427F4790AFA.jpeg

DD0DAC51-FD36-430D-A6EF-F2089E418F00.jpeg

mbryson

Supporting Member
y4mauo7NmZa7Y_L-XbEsU5jwBNvMZLmwHiHbSQsPFVvmcRMNjSZMljLbydCLInGRvQ4Noygq48SVsLlGSdUkOpJxCiSBfrz6SPGdoqpOwNgIH5cRr-T8d1b5SA2EDgTrnyH_ajo-BYMUuzu_mpZzrJZkq3sUk4NWBm-sF9L7JngeBP0OTBRcn9zQfSd2dgTreefEp5gZyxFpE7c1YYkUnss6w

Here's the "alley" I'll be backing my trailers down in a few months. If you squint just right with the opening in the rebar, you'll notice the 22' garage door entry. The 10' door is harder to see behind the pile of dirt but it's there as well. We had our first major construction hiccup when we went to drag the water and sewer line into the house. We had to pull the house up 2' to get correct slope on the sewer line to the street. This makes for some good developments near the fire hydrant area I was concerned about. I won't need an 18-24" retaining wall over there any longer as the driveway had to be pulled up a wee bit to match the raising of the house. We'll get a couple more stairs to the house entry out of it. Maybe one more from the garage floor to the house threshold? I don't understand that one but we'll see how it goes.

y4mQVu17e7rdRzaJyFCZ6rGSoJirwWVBB6H2_3EBy1cRlLoRmofNomnOKj6YE9Ek5g0yvhHDcX5nehHb8a-HoLcWeVJDs6Muqv9R79or8KaLj_dPPAKC169R95GCfA9hkS7gufQQimkQG3mDHtNEP4x4VRUWkLXFhkOcvowdIgtJouo7seUaWuUbEBqP1R9zm4qBg9gtHvVVw5KrAL05CFN4g

Here's where the challenge will come from raising the house 2'. The rear garage door threshold will need to get 2' more of dirt (actually we are going to slope the garage 6" from the midpoint to the threshold so it'll be 18"). We'll also need a retaining wall to secure the material for the garage exit. It should add some nice character to the stairway down from our house patio.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Have a foundation now. I’m interested to see how this turns out.B05F460C-28DB-4B30-8337-4FABA42C35D6.jpeg
the spot in center frame with the form racks behind it is the single car opening for the garage. 21’ deep for the wife’s car. The threshold for that is about 4-6” under ground level and that makes sense to me once you get a driveway/garage floor slab there, it should be ground level? The bigger opening for the 22’ door is At least 1’ taller? I’m curious if that is a mistake and they’ll have to cut it lower or what’s going on there. I’m paying these folks plenty of cash, I’m sure they’ll get it figured out and fixed up.

AA145645-28FD-4062-BEF6-59A8E0B06DDC.jpeg
you can see the wall height difference a little better here. My trailer is hidden behind that dirt pile somewhere

F03DE636-C859-49EE-AE23-4AB930AA01FB.jpeg

that‘s our daughter in our entertainment room about where my pool table will sit. I’m about where the stairs are. This will be a beeeeg room. That window opening will look out into the backyard.

pretty cool to see this start to take shape

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
324D9466-1A3E-4DF6-93E8-B01B7EEF93E7.jpeg
This lot still needs someone to purchase it. It’s .4344 acres and ready to go. If interested, I can get you in touch with sellers. I think they are asking $270k which is pretty competitive for land in this area. You don’t even have to raze a house to build. Just get going on your build.
We are between highway 89 and Orchard Drive at about 3300 s in Bountiful. You’re immediately across the street from us and you‘d be one of 5 homes on a dead end street. Good access to the freeway but a quiet little spot just north of the NSL/Bountiful border

Last edited:

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Not near enough concrete!!! We just picked up 11 lots in Springville and I’m keeping one for me thought about keeping 2 But I think one works.

lots of fun Marc, keep posting what you do so I can copy your ideas!

image.jpg

mbryson

Supporting Member
Since you asked.....

8DC5F20E-8AF5-4283-A254-17EDB122AF2B.jpeg
These look fun? They are to hold up our covered deck4C397E03-5255-446B-98F3-E4460B8E743C.jpeg
Walk out basement area of the backyard

80D1B909-ACFF-4971-B020-5E9328727576.jpegNot sure I’m in love with this. Don’t think I need it and I don’t think I want it. D42E4629-CA68-4708-8EA1-A66F261E4313.jpeg

rear garage door showing the window well that I “love”F22F7537-D3DF-49AD-8D4D-905B2B2347BB.jpeg

trailer alley
25FCB92B-D6BA-472B-BF68-276ABA7181A0.jpeg

garage door

3265EE3F-5DC0-433A-9D2B-59685FF0BBD6.jpegFront porch

So rough plumbing done. Gravel filled the basement and it’s ready for concrete floor? I half expect to come home tomorrow to the big piles of dirt back filled around the foundation? We’ll see what the weather does tomorrow. I think it’s pretty wet for the next few days?

f03de636-c859-49ee-ae23-4ab930aa01fb-jpeg.124017

I am curious about this weird dig out just in front of my daughter. Not sure what it's for but we'll see what it turns into? Ultimately, that floor will be flat with the basement door cutout just barely visible in the far right of the frame. That's about 2.5-3' of fill of some kind to get the floor to where it needs to be. Will this be some kind of under foundation drain or water control or something? I'm SURE they didn't dig this to deep without purpose.

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
You might need that window well for fire code--basement egress in case the stairs are impassable or something.

mbryson

Supporting Member
You might need that window well for fire code--basement egress in case the stairs are impassable or something.

I'm sure there's some reason for it. We'll see what it is and evaluate it? Our contractor was talking with us on a site visit the other day about us being able to see out the window onto the lawn. Might be a surprise to him? We do have an exit door out the basement as well as this window. Maybe by the time there's a floor in there you will be able to see out of it as it'll only be 4' tall?

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I wish you were closer and I would come walk the site, it’s hard to tell the grades from the pictures but seeing that they DampProofed as high as they did there im guessing that’s where the grade will be. It looks as if that window is partially in the concrete and stick framed and that’s something I haven’t seen before

mbryson

Supporting Member
y4mE0sKRIs6FgoKSOGu7gvtkzAlykY75Dztj9g0jW3c10SXvAnksGb0eypt6GNtMVhiyaZCT1YvjKU9JIto_JSwVk3LLQS-P9WnAAs5n4K1cDS5CZD0ADwmmmzlkC_fTypIyuKPGvnKwIA_Bq1DsNG51fI7zWNLb8YcHuWn2RdnqMDnKNsL4j18LrvICKE6hIyJejcRXsMgJMyfOwaTOYu5lw

We bought a Volvo! It's in my garage bay.

y4mAt3wvKdDr4wz5_rOx9fxPREgbjJRHk1JDusHaEeRcb6WiT9ARx1q21oh6BeCbhfF37jZLuusjaJzKgeaq4wzGDUSJoM7jwCE-mwDVE4q2EJAsatTbmjwpixnHY0f0KZlsocEeo0rK_Bbz1iweJ2qimG9smKxOQznQVJ_X6Qsj68tclvJCJma2lnWERdUWgg7nRSc-sZmiH7RNpQ2JCK9fA

Backyard access. I'm liking the height of the driveway in relation to that weird spot by the fire hydrant. Should be about a 1' or so of drop at the fenceline? Should turn out pretty good?

y4msZJf0-ZHIC1OuDf8ThJsoN6atUHnPZs8ftBEAOMRQ2yrCwb1BMUdUp06fjGd99xgLvEKh68mfvcl2O0lDkofhwwZK7xsjSUFB5HG7BT5K53GJDPkxfbwwi2eCBnkJ9BO602WRJ71nmUB9Yv6t_TC57h1I-gO6BwFwSP2cUcmNSSrIt4n0Zp72sulewdzFcWn4g1b96_TNQmgq_askFu-3g

Walk-out basement area.

y4mS0Pk4P9KTW91ge1L26bbb3sGCsu2uQa0H0ic54yKHCGhxLh_Fs-EkQ08XtJ3gjInuUKSPxJCl9bl9lpz-J69VIofNeteIgD1VUdQjrOuXcQkrd8ljPEcyvqYgGatQPuvSywjbCTMnS6TxudQWfoKnx_n3WhGpUeHJAF7gLSh5Mq8FNsBRZmOuj-MdAsmCSrF5gfkC2uU1Mt9jlRoKS0UOA

Rear garage entry/exit. Taking picture from my trailer deck.

y4mSboymuObZ9jTpHSQrWCqK70jxihBxeBlt8Z0KDob309ltXnvBuFYSwxubULiVOZE-ZBIyFZpJ6bcznB6OSozj5zIk4q0MzgGGUfiVfUkKeZDxEy8tsmlIz9ZJ6_vIayr_WY6eGCgxlcCvLU7yz5ZWpjyiCUbMbpdHpdkpYhmkpNaS2gqZvrTYbrLqZhw_HjkWj9HTRS8l-jNPAVgz9wcPw

You can kind of see how much dirt we'll have to bring in

Last edited:

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Before you get too far along you should remove that window well and put one in half the size. No need for it to be so tall and block light in and views out. If needed you could throw a couple of boulders to retain between the window and the garage entry. I deal with this issue all the time, don’t know why contractors put in more window wells than is required by the grade.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Before you get too far along you should remove that window well and put one in half the size. No need for it to be so tall and block light in and views out. If needed you could throw a couple of boulders to retain between the window and the garage entry. I deal with this issue all the time, don’t know why contractors put in more window wells than is required by the grade.

I was willing to give it a chance but am not real fond of how that’s starting to shape up. I’ll have to have a conversation with GC tomorrow about it

Last edited: