Hemi programmer

1993yj

I am looking to get a programmer for my 03 Hemi 2500. Debating between the Hypertech and Superchip. Is there much of a difference between the two? And I know that they are supposed to really increase the power, but what about mpg?

1993yj

I run the mid grade, which in Utah is usually 87-89 I think. And I know that both of those programmers have a setting that you can set your truck up for 87.

TimB

Homesick
What transmission are you running? I'd like to find a programmer that would make the auto 5 speed a little more controllable - maybe add some way to keep it in third when you want to. Power and milage are OK to me - I just would like the transmission to behave a little better.

1993yj

I have the 5 speed, 5-45RFE auto tranny. I agree with making the tranny behave better, but mine seems to stay in the lower gears more than I would like. Getting to 5th is the hard point to hit on mine. Out of three trucks (Chevy, Ford, Dodge) I like the Dodge trannies the least, but the rest of the Dodge I like over the others.

TimB

Homesick
The constant shifting between 3rd and 4th is what bothers me when pulling a load - there is one position on the shifter for both gears so no way to make it stay in third when I want it to.
I'll check out the hypertech.

Maybe I could cut into the wiring harness and add a toggle switch..... ahh, better not. ;)

1993yj

I just ordered the Hypertech. I have been looking at them on eBay, and the used ones seem to go for at least $250. I found a site called TruckAddOns where they were on sale for $283, shipping and all. Site says its a one day sale but who knows.