Here we go... 1969/70 Chevy C10/K20 projects

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Spent the last 2 days working on the C10, put 5 gallons of 91 octane in the cleaned and sealed tank finally, finished up the exhaust, flushed the cooling system, changed the oil again (after a cleaning flush), bolted on the radiator fan, connected the alternator, etc, etc.

Fired up the truck today with the exhaust and it sounds great, not too loud, not too quiet. Compared to how it sounded with open headers, it's so much more mild. X-D I dumped the mufflers right before the rear axle, it sounds streetable for sure.

I let the truck idle in the shop after installing the flex fan, it pulls a LOT of air. The temp gauge stayed at a steady 180* over a good half hour of idling with no additional air flow. I'm good with that, 180* is nice and cool and gives plenty of room if it does get warm.

20220529_185442-X2.jpg

I did pick up a TH350 auto with a convertor today, the trans was supposedly rebuilt awhile ago. I'll hang on to it, it may go in in the future or just go with the truck when it sells.

20220530_152605-X2.jpg

Greg

Admin
I wanted to make more progress this weekend, but it just didn't happen.... that said, I did remove the rear bumper and replace it with a roll pan, painted in Red Oxide primer. It looks so much cleaner and really matches the truck. We will see if I decide to try to match the blue that is prevalent on the rear of the truck. I used the plasma cutter to remove the bumper, since it was welded on... took all of 3 minutes to blow it right off!

20220604_133116-X2.jpg

20220604_142224-X2.jpg

I started on the brakes, ordered new shoes all the way around, new wheel cylinders, new master cyl, etc. I pulled all 4 corners apart and went to pick up my parts after making my first online order from O'Rileys.... and they effed it up! My brake shoes are the same part # front & back, so I ordered 2 sets of the same part#. Well, some smart fella at the local O'Rileys assumed I screwed up and meant to only ordered one, so I'm waiting for another set of shoes. Last time I'll order online from them! One of the shoe linings fell right out, when I pulled the drum off! :grimacing:

20220604_154452-X2.jpg

20220604_185654-X2.jpg

Greg

Admin
I've been working on wrapping up the brakes and a lot of little things, but made some big progress today!

Brakes first; New master cyl, new wheel cyls and all new shoes.

Once the brakes were functional, it was time for a drive! I double checked the brakes, they seems quite good. Had to adjust the idle in the street, then went for a cruise around the neighborhood!

i-PSKJL8w-X2.jpg

i-xDVCMF7-X2.jpg

i-jKMsVvH-X2.jpg

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Looking good. Hopefully you make a quick sale and good profit on it. Looks like the toy market is quickly drying up from buyers though. Economic pressures from inflation, gas, food, etc. are going to do that. I watch the antique car market, and there has been a surge of new listings over the last couple of weeks.

Greg

Admin
Looking good. Hopefully you make a quick sale and good profit on it. Looks like the toy market is quickly drying up from buyers though. Economic pressures from inflation, gas, food, etc. are going to do that. I watch the antique car market, and there has been a surge of new listings over the last couple of weeks.

I'm not surprised, things are changing a little too quickly. At this point I'm into it a decent amount, I may not make as much as I had initially hoped, but a little would be better than nothing.

Greg

Admin
I've been driving the C10 around the neighborhood, getting to know the truck and realized I was pretty low on gas. It's still not registered, brake lights and blinkers aren't functional but I needed to fill the tank.

I decided to run to the local gas station less than a 1/2 mile away, which is on a 45 MPH road. My seat still isn't bolted down (working on finding the right bench seat), but this was a good opportunity to get it into 4th gear and up to speed. I filled the tank with 91 octane for the compression bump, then hit the road headed home. I opened the truck up to 3/4 throttle in 2nd gear and 3rd gear... and it SCOOTS!! The engine mods really help the 350 breathe, it's not *fast* but it's not slow either... and it sounds awesome. Probably got it up to 55 MPH and it's sporty, fun to drive and turns heads. I got a wave from another older Chevy truck driver!

Still working on some small things, but it's coming along and very fun to drive. I still super impressed with how well it drives and rides with 22's and lowered suspension. It's going to be a great sport truck for someone.

Need to work on that hood gap, too.... X-D

i-7Hvk9L9-X2.jpg

Greg

Admin
I haven't had much time to work on the C10, but I have made a little progress. I really wanted to have it listed by now, but finding the right seat has slowed down putting the interior together.

I did pick up a pretty used 2nd row bench out of a 2002 Tahoe, but the mounting brackets aren't close at all and ended up being a massive PITA to work around. I got the seat in place without being bolted down and it looks OK, but I don't think it'll stay. I need something better. I did pick up a neat Mexican blanket to toss over it, to give it some more character.

i-THm5CRj-X2.jpg

i-jB4XFpm-X2.jpg

Last time I drove it, I noticed how terrible the resonating was at most cruising speeds. Now, I don't mind loud vehicles and this truck sounds great, but the resonation in the cab was overbearing. I picked up a couple 2 1/2" Vibrant Performance resonators and added them after the crossover and before the mufflers, where I had plenty of room. They had great reviews and the price was decent. After firing it up in the shop, the difference is noticeable. Should really help when driving, we will see next time I get it out again.

i-pdzpNzp-X2.jpg

i-LdmDT8F-X2.jpg

I did pick up some needed interior parts, a new carpet kit which came with some some pretty thick insulation for the floor. I added some carpeting over the gas tank and added a bit more carpet and insulation behind the tank, against the cab. I'm hoping that will also help with the resonating and noise in the cab. Picked up new interior door handles and window cranks and new door sill plates to bring it all together.

i-B2G86zp-X2.jpg

i-bq7LnfC-X2.jpg

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I really like the blanket, but agree that the seat shouldn't stay.

I'm thinking tailpipes that exit the body (rather than the pre-axle dump) would make way more difference in the drone than anything else.

I just put (well, not quite finished yet) an ACC carpet kit in my Olds - good bang for the buck IMO. It's amazing how much difference a couple hundred bucks worth of carpet can make.