Here we go again...

kruzr69

supergper said:
you mean costwise or??? I dont think we are gonna be able to claim an acre or two...basically you put in $500 or $1000 or whatever and then it goes in one persons or one organizations name.
Yes, I meant costwise. I would be willing to pitch in what ever I could.
Tony

XJEEPER

supergper said:
you mean costwise or??? I dont think we are gonna be able to claim an acre or two...basically you put in $500 or $1000 or whatever and then it goes in one persons or one organizations name.

We need a front man/women with the $$$ flow.........then sell off shares/acres to those intrested in using it as an offroad park to pay off the initial investor......then run it like Avalanche Ranch or just an RME, U4 or whoever LLC, private OHV area. Users help maintain and develop trails and campsites and it could even be used to host events or fundraisers for the 4x4 community.
Just tossing ideas out...........

Last edited:

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
Although that sounds good in principle, I don't think it would would actually work. That area is a major winter wildlife feeding ground, I'm sure there would be considerable opposition to anything that might cause an issue with that. There isn't really any water supply, and how do you propose to dispose of human waste for a large number of people? The sandstone formation is likely too shallow to put in much of a septic system, if the county would even allow it. There are a lot of obsticles that would have to be overcome, most of which we probably can't forsee.

XJEEPER

Rick B said:
Although that sounds good in principle, I don't think it would would actually work. That area is a major winter wildlife feeding ground, I'm sure there would be considerable opposition to anything that might cause an issue with that. There isn't really any water supply, and how do you propose to dispose of human waste for a large number of people? The sandstone formation is likely too shallow to put in much of a septic system, if the county would even allow it. There are a lot of obsticles that would have to be overcome, most of which we probably can't forsee.

I see your point Rick, but I was merely trying to light the fire......not address the logistics of every scenario. Folks carry water with then now, why would that change? Porta-john's for a larger event could be rented.......if needed. By calling it an ATV park, I wasn't thinking an ATV racetrack, campground and carwash............just a place that was out of the Green's controlling influence.
Let's just focus on procurring the land first.

Last edited:

Cj7

I know ppl up here in Wyoming and Montana would pitch in to help buy the Upper Helderado and we only go there once a year!

Bleeding_raptor

Bloody Mess
Land

Hopefully as a group we can be able to get something done on this. Some other things to look at also is to mabey buying land privately and opening it up just like Avalanche Ranch. Buying this way will also keep other forces (ie. greenies) from being able to touch it. The bonus to buying in an auction is keeping the area open to the general public. However the down side to doing it is mabey having to do some sort of enviromental impact studies and the like. Having 300 acres would be great all in all no doubt about it. But what could be done with opening a ranch for the masses having between 5 and 10 acres and being able to properly teaching people to tread lightly, be safe and above all else have fun. there are so many things to think about when it comes down to it, it will take alot to look at all angles.
Raptor

PS. All land should be free to the public, it is up to us to teach people how to use it.

BLH

Yea keep us posted, all get on here more to check, I know someone looking to buy land down there from Idaho, his looking at my cousin land but could be better deal for this land.

tsm1mt

What we need to do is organize a cooperative. File for incorporation, and then file to sell shares.

Set the share price at ~$50. File to sell 10,000 shares. For the math challenged, that's a half million dollars. We don't HAVE to sell all 10k up front. Set a minimum number to be sold before starting the business.

The Coop then buys the land. Every person that buys a share has part ownership - we can't *subdivide* but we can all be joint owners, so to speak, through the coop that owns it.

Just buy the thing first, then we'll figure out what to do with it.

Set up a "fee booth" at the entrance/exit to the trails with "on your honor" fee stuff. $5 each? Whatever.. make sure you make enough to at least pay the taxes every year.

Or better yet, roll the money back into the coop and buy the next lot that comes up for sale.

Oh yeah.. we'd need a catchy name for the Coop.. something like..

Environmentalists for Access

:D

Oh.. and let's not forget the big signs all around the property "PRIVATE PROPERTY - NO TRESPASSING - UNLESS YOU'RE MOTORIZED"

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
tsm1mt said:
What we need to do is organize a cooperative. File for incorporation, and then file to sell shares....

Lets do it...

I have little to no clue how all the real estate laws work, we reailly need a realitor and lawyer to help us hammer out the details...

Who can help?

Shall we organize a "group" of interested parties?

Caleb

cruiseroutfit said:
Lets do it...

I have little to no clue how all the real estate laws work, we reailly need a realitor and lawyer to help us hammer out the details...

Who can help?

I'd be intersted in helping but I know nothing about this type of stuff...

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
supergper said:
I'd be intersted in helping but I know nothing about this type of stuff...

Thats the problem.... I really don't thing $$$ will be the issue, rather getting all the paperwork in check...

My aunt is a realitor, I am going to drop her an email and see what she know about public land auctions...

Charge $3 like Pritchett, etc... to fund the betterment of our sport...

I am going to run it passed the U4WDA board some more too!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
tsm1mt said:
...Set the share price at ~$50. File to sell 10,000 shares. For the math challenged, that's a half million dollars. We don't HAVE to sell all 10k up front. Set a minimum number to be sold before starting the business....

Even 1000 shares @ $50/ea. could secure the property! Then like you said, we could move forward from there...

The best way to maintain acess to these trails is to own the property they exist on...

Bleeding_raptor

Bloody Mess
Info

cruiseroutfit said:
Lets do it...

Who can help?

My Mother is a Buisness Broker I can ask her what she knows about setting up a coop and mabey even see if she can help us out.
Raptor

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
I have a buddy in Texas that has wheeled with me for years!! He is willing to help out however he can, and he is a LAWYER! He should be able set up a corp and let us know what we need to do. He specializes in business and tax law, should be up his alley.

Let's get a new thread, have a meeting, hammer out what we need to do, and I'll get the info to him.

Marc

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I'd hate to see all the money going to getting the thing set up, instead of going directly to the purchase of the land.

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
The co-op idea might be possible, I really don't know much about it. But if you've read the info on the SITLA website you'll know that it is an auction, and a 10% of your bid payment is required with the bid. So my guess is that it's very unlikely that a coop could be set up & enough money raised before the deadline in May to be able to palce the bid. The other key point is that full payment is required at closing unless it is financed through SITLA in which case all closing costs and interest at 6.5% up to November 1 is required at closing. There are a lot of other things that need to be known & dealt with at various times throughout the process, but those are the ones I see being the most major impediments to throwing together a co-op or something similar to attempt to buy the property.

Also, it appears there is a misconception in the fee you pay to run Pritchett Canyon. It is a trespass fee being charged by the landowner at the mouth of the canyon to use a few hundred feet of road across his property. I don't understand how he can get away with it myself, but as far as I know no one has ever legally challenged it either. But the fee has nothing to do with the trail itself.

Providing a group could be assembled & was able to win the auction, it would still be necessary to know what can legally be done as far as charging a fee to access the trails. San Juan County is claiming roads in the two parcels that are currently up for sale, it would be very important to know exactly what the county is claiming. I'm pretty sure you couldn't charge people a fee to access a road that the county claims, but I could be mistaken.

The auction is a little more than 60 days away. Right now is the time to begin putting together a co-op if that is what everyone wants to try. In order to secure both parcels I'm guessing it is going to take about $200 - 250K. So that means probably $25K is necessary by May 1 and the remainder by June 1. If you're going to do it then it needs to be today.