Here we go again...

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
rotozuk said:
...What progress if any is there on the group purchase. Can I help in any way? ...

Yes, you can help...

We need someone to make contact with a lawyer and a real estate agent, both of whom must be familiar with this type of purchase and the legalities/liabilites associated with such a purchase...

Forward any info you have to landuse@cruiseroutfitters.com

allterrain

AllTerrain
I recieved a message from a long time landuse activist who recently attended the State Parks and Rec OHV Council meeting and has been following this thread.

I have quoted a portion of his email to me:
-------------

"I view any private buyer as being pretty risky for securing
lasting rights to use. You need something that probably hasn't
existed in this state before. I think the best thing you could do is to not
screw around and set up a meeting with Governor Walker, explain the
problem and ask her to put a hold on the sale for at least a year. I
went to the OHV Council meeting last Thursday. Fred Hayes said that partly
due to the bill that just passed giving SITLA funds from OHV
registrations that he wanted to add a governmental slot on the
Council for a SITLA Rep.. With or without the Rep. slot, it looks like
SITLA will be paying more attention to motorized trail users.
Fred said they will be needing to inventory use on all the State School
Sections. Hopefully, users will get more leverage out of this for
keeping access open. In that context it seems pretty short sighted
for SITLA to be selling off sections in a proven interest area.
(friggin bureaucrats anyhe they're all in la la land..)"
-----------------
So, what do you think? Should we try to step in and put the sale on hold?
If SITLA is going to be getting money from regisrations, they ought to keep the trails open.

Alan

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
allterrain said:
...So, what do you think? Should we try to step in and put the sale on hold?
If SITLA is going to be getting money from regisrations, they ought to keep the trails open.

Alan

Yes we should!

Marsha Terry mentioned the same thing concerning the registration fees going to SITLA...

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
allterrain said:
I recieved a message from a long time landuse activist who recently attended the State Parks and Rec OHV Council meeting and has been following this thread.

I have quoted a portion of his email to me:
-------------

"I view any private buyer as being pretty risky for securing
lasting rights to use. You need something that probably hasn't
existed in this state before. I think the best thing you could do is to not
screw around and set up a meeting with Governor Walker, explain the
problem and ask her to put a hold on the sale for at least a year. I
went to the OHV Council meeting last Thursday. Fred Hayes said that partly
due to the bill that just passed giving SITLA funds from OHV
registrations that he wanted to add a governmental slot on the
Council for a SITLA Rep.. With or without the Rep. slot, it looks like
SITLA will be paying more attention to motorized trail users.
Fred said they will be needing to inventory use on all the State School
Sections. Hopefully, users will get more leverage out of this for
keeping access open. In that context it seems pretty short sighted
for SITLA to be selling off sections in a proven interest area.
(friggin bureaucrats anyhe they're all in la la land..)"
-----------------
So, what do you think? Should we try to step in and put the sale on hold?

Alan

Alan - Thanks for that info. Our Land Use Officer (Marty) has been talking to SITLA regarding right-of-way issues, and this is information that he should know about. Would your activist friend be willing to talk to him? If he would, PM me and I'll get you Marty's email.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Okay, we ran Strike Ravine and the Helldorados today, and here's the latest. Almost all of Upper Helldorado, and the powerline trail between the end of Lower Hell and the start of Upper Hell, is contained within the East 1/2 Section that is being auctioned in May. The wash bottom between the entrance to Lower Hell and the entrance to Upper Hell is contained partly within the SW 1/4, and partly within the East 1/2. The previously sold portion (NW 1/4) contains most of Lower Helldorado, and a good part of Strike Ravine. There are portions of Strike Ravine running through all sections.

The fences across Strike Ravine and both ends of Lower Helldorado have been removed. Per the San Juan County Sherriff, they are to remain open untill such a time that they are officially closed as part of the legal process initiated by the land owner, which she has not done. I still believe that there is little chance of the County keeping Lower Helldorado open, but untill it is officially closed by the County, it is open.

I hope all of this is clear... let me know if anyone has any questions.

By the way, my wife and I both ran Upper in our Sami's this afternoon... what a blast!

Jeff

SuperRanger

Well I have been watching this thread because I am VERY concerned about our future in Moab.

Everybody seems to care about this land on this board, CO4x4, Pirate, anywhere you go. The problem is, we lack a defined plan and leadership. I do not have the answer but we need leadership in this issue and many others. I think this land will be lost because as a community, we can not get anything moving, we have had our warning.

An individual could buy this land and I (like many others) have considered this. The problem is that as soon as I do, I am going to be freaking out thinking about people out there wheeling, possibly damaging my land, possibly hurting themselves, etc. If this land is sold to an individual regardless of whether they are on "our team" or not, the cause is lost. The trails days would be numbered. We need to protect this trail and others in PERPETUITY!

The best way I see to do this is for a large organization (club, U4WDwhetever, BRC) to buy it. Where is our leadership? Am I missing something? I am a "somewhat involved" wheeler that follows what is posted on the internet. Is there defined leadership that I am missing?

SuperRanger said:
Well I have been watching this thread because I am VERY concerned about our future in Moab.

Everybody seems to care about this land on this board, CO4x4, Pirate, anywhere you go. The problem is, we lack a defined plan and leadership. I do not have the answer but we need leadership in this issue and many others. I think this land will be lost because as a community, we can not get anything moving, we have had our warning.

An individual could buy this land and I (like many others) have considered this. The problem is that as soon as I do, I am going to be freaking out thinking about people out there wheeling, possibly damaging my land, possibly hurting themselves, etc. If this land is sold to an individual regardless of whether they are on "our team" or not, the cause is lost. The trails days would be numbered. We need to protect this trail and others in PERPETUITY!

The best way I see to do this is for a large organization (club, U4WDwhetever, BRC) to buy it. Where is our leadership? Am I missing something? I am a "somewhat involved" wheeler that follows what is posted on the internet. Is there defined leadership that I am missing?

Yes, there is. U4. The people posting on this board are part of U4 (Kurt, Alan, Jeff, myself). Holding off the sale is the best idea yet, because we are still looking at our exposure if we do a trust. Making some calls regarding a meeting with the Gov.

Brett

allterrain

AllTerrain
I have contacted the 4x4 rep on the Utah OHV Council and had our concerns forwarded on to Fred Hayes- State Director for Parks and Rec and Head of the Trails Commitee. I am waiting on a contact from now and will keep that fire hot. I believe the best course of action is to see if we can put this sale on hold until we can get organized and come up with a plan of action with the backing of the State. The news about OHV registration money going to SITLA and the council starting a trail inventory on thier lands is very encouraging for us. Sadly, the damage with the first sale seems to be done. We got blindsided on that one.

SuperRanger

Great! Thanks for your guys efforts!

I am trying to put togethere a contact list could Jeff, Alan, and Brett (I can get Kurt's) please PM me e-mail addresses. I am trying to put together a contact list. I have visited U4WDA and USA-All and plan to send in membership applications.

Mcstiff

FWIW, if U4 is a NPO then donations can be refunded in full by the government. This is something they started doing after 9-11 to encourage donating money. I am not sure exactly how one applies for this but I am sure you can do it (unless they change the policy over the next year).

I am not a CPA, just read about this somewhere a month ago so I may be incorrect ;)