Hickey's 2015 JK Rubicon "Build" thread

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
A couple weeks ago, I mounted my garage door opener in the A pillar. It sure is more convenient to reach here, versus when it was in the roll bar padding.

I filed the ridges of the remote flat, then epoxied it to the A pillar trim.

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
It looks like my rear bumper kit isn't gonna happen in time for my upcoming Rubicon trip. Now I need to find a full width, non-tire carrier rear bumper.

This sucks!

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I wanted some protection for the trail, so I built some diff covers with the help of Carl. I originally ordered Kryptonite diff kits from BTF, but they are severely backlogged.

Here is the full DIY kit.

I bolted the 3/8" ring to an old Dana 44 housing to use as a jig. I'm hoping this will help keep it from warping.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I solved my rear bumper issue. I was able to swing in to Teraflex last week and pick up a damaged bumper for a reduced price. They had an Outback rear bumper w/out fog lights with some good scratches in the coating. I'm fine with a few scratches, cuz I know I'll add more, and I promptly did just that when I got home and dropped it on my concrete driveway!

WOOHOO! New bumper is mounted, after my professional break-in process. Thanks to Teraflex for finding me a scratch N dent on short notice.

I also added a Smittybilt tailgate organizer yesterday.

I also installed a rear 12 volt receptacle, as mine Jeep didn't come with one in the back. The wiring and plug is already in place, I just had to buy a receptacle and drill the hole. Don't mind that practice hole to the right. I did that on purpose :ugh: It will probably be an interior light some day.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Looks great! I love that bumper, someone at Teraflex needs to scratch up another for me!

The Outback bumper is a really well designed piece. I like how it mounts to the frame, and that it has provisions for removable mud flaps. It also gives me a ton more clearance in the rear when coming down off rocks or shelves.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I finished and cleaned up both diff covers today after welding in the fill plug bungs.

I think I'll be pretty happy with these covers, as long as they don't leak.

They just need paint and they're ready to install.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I finished and cleaned up both diff covers today after welding in the fill plug bungs.

I think I'll be pretty happy with these covers, as long as they don't leak.

They just need paint and they're ready to install.

I like 'em! Looks to me like you're fairly proficient at filling bung holes now.:p Are the fill holes just pipe thread, or something fancy?

gcb17

I also installed a rear 12 volt receptacle, as mine Jeep didn't come with one in the back. The wiring and plug is already in place, I just had to buy a receptacle and drill the hole. Don't mind that practice hole to the right. I did that on purpose :ugh: It will probably be an interior light some day.

Did you just rip out the interior plastic panel and happen to see the wiring/plug? I want a 12V receptacle in the back of mine; it'll be nice if the wiring is there on my 2015 Sport.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The wiring for the subwoofer and the 12 volt receptacle are both present on all wranglers. I just ordered a Dodge receptacle and plugged it in. Some guys report that there isn't any power to the wiring, because the fuse is missing. Mine had the fuse in place.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I went to bolt my new covers on the Jeep and discovered a problem with the bungs.

That's right, the bung is fine, but the stupid welder (me) installed it backwards. The plug will only thread from the inside of the cover. Duh!

Went to 2 hardware stores, and neither had a 1/2" npt tap, so a hole saw is used.

I had to make a little spacer to fill the gap, but it welded back in there nicely.

Pro tip: make sure your bung is right side up before you Weld it into those nice covers you've been building.