High School TJ build

This little Tj is coming along, that big dent in the side is gone due to a friend in town, repainted the hood and part of side panel where the dent was, the paint didn't match to what I thought it would, but that's ok, it gives it character. Repainted the the fender flares black, looks so much better than it did. Put on some Rugged Ridge rockers on it, took the old front bumper off, working on building a new one. It has a cute 2" coil spacer lift, I swapped the tires I had on the XJ and put them on the TJ. I've put some quick disconnect sway bar links on her as well. The heater wasn't working very well, turns out the heater core was clogged inside the pipe and as well as the fins, cleaned it up just enough to get a welcome breeze of nice warm air. As of plans on this daily high school driver, the floppy mirrors need to go, every time I close the door they move out of position, I have a hp d30 and a Ford 8.8 that need a little work before I throw them under. I also plan on putting 4.10 gearing and a lunchbox locker in the front, the 8.8 came with a limited slip that I'm going to keep in there for "High School Budget" reasons. Hoping that I can get 35" tires on there after my axles. I want to do high-line fenders just to get me that extra tire clearance that I may or may not need. This little Tj has been a good little Jeep for me so far, has done what I've wanted it to do for me so far, haven't taken it wheeling yet, but I can tell you it climbs curbs no problem.
20171221_135451.jpg20171221_135612.jpg

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Is it too soon to start calling you Grandpa?

It went up about 1-1.5" from the spacer lift. We'll see how it runs out? I do have some older Teraflex lower control arms kicking around but am not really a fan of those. I've spent PLENTY of $ on my mission son's Jeep this year (still an exhaust to go). I'd like to stop the bleeding. All for a couple days with the new daughter-in-law to experience a couple mild trails. I'll be driving this and my son/daughter-in-law that just got married will be in my "big" Jeep

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Am I stupid to be considering using the stock JK lower arms I have kicking around? Seems like an “ok” piece (better than the flex arms?). I’d have adjustable stock TJ uppers. I’m sure there would be differing arcs with the different length control arms but at 3” lift, how much will that affect on road handling?

JK arms are 5” longer

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Put on the adjustables, get the alignment set where you want it. Then remove them, shorten the JK arms to whatever length the adjustables end up, and have nice non-adjustable, but still caster-correcting, lower arms.

Edit: As I recall, those JK rear arms are a nice "normal" size tube--meaning you can easily sleeve them for easy lengthening/shortening/beefening.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I agree that the stock JK arms will be much better than the old $hit Tera arms, but they certainly need to be shortened before you use them. I'd probably just shorten them to stock TJ length (or 1/2"ish longer maybe?) and adjust/align using your adjustable uppers.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Edit: As I recall, those JK rear arms are a nice "normal" size tube--meaning you can easily sleeve them for easy lengthening/shortening/beefening.

1.5” .125 (? -chunk I have is .130”) wall is a perfect size to sleeve that. Think I can press the rubber stock JK bushings our without destroying them? Or just cut and sleeve 4-5” either way of the cut?

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
1.5” .125 (? -chunk I have is .130”) wall is a perfect size to sleeve that. Think I can press the rubber stock JK bushings our without destroying them? Nope. I don't think the bushings are serviceable. Or just cut and sleeve 4-5” either way of the cut? Do this.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
x2 what Bryson said.
Cut them in the middle and sleeve. Make them 1/2" longer than stock. I had a buddy break one of those old Tera lowers on the trail. It was not neat.

mbryson

Supporting Member
So here’s what we have. I have three control arms. Notice my commitment by creating one of these beasts. I’m shooting for 16 3/8”. Adding about 1/2” to the control arm.

The DOM is 1.5 .125 wall and will need to be “press” fit. image.jpg

mbryson

Supporting Member
Completed and painted. I think I’ll make another ? Seems uber sturdy with the press fit. Had a hell of a time centering the sleeve on the cut. Exactly what you’d want for something like this. Plug welded both sides with a 1/2” hole and fully welded (not awesome bead I admit by plenty warm)119318

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
Got the arms on. Significantly better driving experience but still had the wobble of death. Came home and checked the alignment..... incredible toe in. No wonder his tires only lasted 15k miles. Set that and did a little test run. Success

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Do you have a front locker in there? I’m just about to post a new in box Aussie locker and a ruffstuff diff cover if you’re interested.