High School TJ build

This little Tj is coming along, that big dent in the side is gone due to a friend in town, repainted the hood and part of side panel where the dent was, the paint didn't match to what I thought it would, but that's ok, it gives it character. Repainted the the fender flares black, looks so much better than it did. Put on some Rugged Ridge rockers on it, took the old front bumper off, working on building a new one. It has a cute 2" coil spacer lift, I swapped the tires I had on the XJ and put them on the TJ. I've put some quick disconnect sway bar links on her as well. The heater wasn't working very well, turns out the heater core was clogged inside the pipe and as well as the fins, cleaned it up just enough to get a welcome breeze of nice warm air. As of plans on this daily high school driver, the floppy mirrors need to go, every time I close the door they move out of position, I have a hp d30 and a Ford 8.8 that need a little work before I throw them under. I also plan on putting 4.10 gearing and a lunchbox locker in the front, the 8.8 came with a limited slip that I'm going to keep in there for "High School Budget" reasons. Hoping that I can get 35" tires on there after my axles. I want to do high-line fenders just to get me that extra tire clearance that I may or may not need. This little Tj has been a good little Jeep for me so far, has done what I've wanted it to do for me so far, haven't taken it wheeling yet, but I can tell you it climbs curbs no problem.
20171221_135451.jpg20171221_135612.jpg

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
No locker. It’s only doing Dome Plateau and maybe another trail on Easter morning. Should survive without a locker? I haven’t driven without a locker for quite a while. Be interesting for sure. Would like one but am kind of saving cash for fuel and lodging at this point

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
Kind of done with this thing? Still have a catalytic converter to install. It rattles. I think it may just rattle for a couple days? Not sure if I’ll get time to “fit” it to the exhaust? 92C1CE5B-1AA9-45C4-BAB8-93718A9BE472.jpegB8683628-693D-4783-8B9B-D65C8582D77A.jpeg

Nice CB mount? From what Eric said, he wants tube fenders so I just drilled a hole in the fender. Cheating but SWR is about as good as any CB I’ve ever had. It’ll do for two trail days this EJS

E736B30B-E0F6-477C-B109-30B6A09151D6.jpeg

mbryson

Supporting Member
More work on this today. Eric bought some rear springs from @DAA and never put them on. While cleaning up my garage I ran across those and a few other things that should just be put on the Jeeps. Had some shocks for a lifted TJ I bought for EJS this year.

494DB423-4904-4E04-8DF2-C3499F807CEA.jpeg38C4612C-3CCD-4089-895F-F207FAB0A4DF.jpeg34B9B673-F712-4B0B-8875-9589437EA552.jpeg1F8C1963-856A-4016-8A71-9D32405BFFE9.jpeg

Sits pretty level now. Looks good and now needs a tcase drop or an SYE. I’m not paying for his SYE but if I run across a tcase drop kit, I may put that on in case I need to drive it to work for a few days or something?

I think it looks damn good with the 33”, butchish paint and 3”ish lift. He can buy some real control arms and such when he gets home. Whatever route he’s going to go. The 4.10 gears with auto trans is pretty decent in the freeway. Has a few RPM but not to bad. Does really well as is off road. Kind of fun to drive without a locker and stuff.

Still haven’t installed the cat converter. Exhaust isn’t exactly in good shape. I’ll let him deal with that next summer when he gets home.

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
Time to dust this thing off I guess? Starts right up for me throughout the winter. Still needs a bit of work to be truly road worthy but we can get it there pretty quick once I get a garage/welder again. That could be 30-40 days from now?

Pile of parts

Time to dust this thing off I guess? Starts right up for me throughout the winter. Still needs a bit of work to be truly road worthy but we can get it there pretty quick once I get a garage/welder again. That could be 30-40 days from now?
So, reading between the lines... Is he headed home a little early due to the virus?

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread

ebryson

We are trying to smooth out the ride of this 'ole jeep so we found some Teraflex JK control arms (upper and lower, thanks to the anonymous donor) to make a mid-arm solution. The question is do we improve the break over angle by frenching in the frame side lower control arm mount or simply attaching the mount to the frame?

mbryson

Supporting Member
I’m thinking we could get away with just doing the lower arms? A5A9D9E5-A798-4CFA-A0B5-1F614E406E4B.jpeg

We would be very similar angles from top to bottom just having shorter arms as uppers. Like an old school short arm upper/long arm lower long arm system? I think we’d just have to check how that affects the way the pinion angle reacts as it cycles