High School TJ build

This little Tj is coming along, that big dent in the side is gone due to a friend in town, repainted the hood and part of side panel where the dent was, the paint didn't match to what I thought it would, but that's ok, it gives it character. Repainted the the fender flares black, looks so much better than it did. Put on some Rugged Ridge rockers on it, took the old front bumper off, working on building a new one. It has a cute 2" coil spacer lift, I swapped the tires I had on the XJ and put them on the TJ. I've put some quick disconnect sway bar links on her as well. The heater wasn't working very well, turns out the heater core was clogged inside the pipe and as well as the fins, cleaned it up just enough to get a welcome breeze of nice warm air. As of plans on this daily high school driver, the floppy mirrors need to go, every time I close the door they move out of position, I have a hp d30 and a Ford 8.8 that need a little work before I throw them under. I also plan on putting 4.10 gearing and a lunchbox locker in the front, the 8.8 came with a limited slip that I'm going to keep in there for "High School Budget" reasons. Hoping that I can get 35" tires on there after my axles. I want to do high-line fenders just to get me that extra tire clearance that I may or may not need. This little Tj has been a good little Jeep for me so far, has done what I've wanted it to do for me so far, haven't taken it wheeling yet, but I can tell you it climbs curbs no problem.
20171221_135451.jpg20171221_135612.jpg

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
All I can say is don't overtighten the fitting inside the bulkhead... I pulled my ARB out to change my leaking axle seals and noticed how close I was to completely crushing the copper line inside the bulkhead. And I know I didn't tighten it "too much". Also, leave extra copper line inside routed out of the way in case you need to trim some later.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I think they all might have that spring, since it's just a strain relief thing.

But for blue line, you'll want part number 170111. I'm sure Cruiser Outfitters will have them....and I stole this pic from Northridge 4x4, so they probably have it too. :)

arb170111_1

I think I have one of each of those in my "differential drawer" in my old tool box. Is that all he needs along with the brass tube from the air collar on the locker?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I think I have one of each of those in my "differential drawer" in my old tool box. Is that all he needs along with the brass tube from the air collar on the locker?
Yep, that's the complete kit. Copper line from air collar gets pinched into the O-ring by the nippular fitting, and the blue line just pokes onto the nipple on top, held by the nut. (and strain relief)

ebryson

It has certainly been a minute since I've updated this. What I've done to it recently is put 35" KM3's on it, added a winch and finally put a SYE in it. In the process of doing the SYE I learned how much I hate snap rings. Just needs some drivelines that are getting redone at Axis Drivelines here in Bountiful. Should be back and operational by Saturday.

Plans from here is finally put that ARB locker in and figure out some sort of tire carrier that can accommodate a 35" spare. I'm contemplating doing highline hood/fenders to keep the center of gravity low and keep my up-travel decent. Has anyone done a DIY version? Was the extra 2 inches of height worth it? If I do a the highline hood/fender I plan on just getting or making tube fenders.

Sorry for the lack of pictures, I'm sure @mbryson has a picture of me looking like a mess with the t-case out.

Attachments

• 20220103_105547.jpg
    20220103_105547.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 267

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
It has certainly been a minute since I've updated this. What I've done to it recently is put 35" KM3's on it, added a winch and finally put a SYE in it. In the process of doing the SYE I learned how much I hate snap rings. Just needs some drivelines that are getting redone at Axis Drivelines here in Bountiful. Should be back and operational by Saturday.

Plans from here is finally put that ARB locker in and figure out some sort of tire carrier that can accommodate a 35" spare. I'm contemplating doing highline hood/fenders to keep the center of gravity low and keep my up-travel decent. Has anyone done a DIY version? Was the extra 2 inches of height worth it? If I do a the highline hood/fender I plan on just getting or making tube fenders.

Sorry for the lack of pictures, I'm sure @mbryson has a picture of me looking like a mess with the t-case out.
I support the highline fender mods. @SoopaHick needs to do the same thing.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Does anyone have a good way to cut a stock TJ frame side track bar mount off?
Unstuck had a pretty good idea in his LJ build thread this week. Start with post #25:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I have most of a SHK003, assuming that's the correct one--but no master shim, since that one always gets used.

I'll let him know in an hour or so (he gets home at 3 in the morning). Any chance you're home this morning and he could pick that up? He can make a master shim at work/school. He was just concerned about machining .002-.008 shims. Not sure of what machining equipment mfgs those?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I'll let him know in an hour or so (he gets home at 3 in the morning). Any chance you're home this morning and he could pick that up? He can make a master shim at work/school. He was just concerned about machining .002-.008 shims. Not sure of what machining equipment mfgs those?
Yep, I'm home today.