High winds in SLC valley tomorrow

Jesser04

I was brushing my teeth at 5:30 this morning when the power went out. My work van was inside the garage with no man door or windows. Took our extra car to work and got a little risky tonight when I got home and backfed the garage through and outlet to free our cars. Other than that no damage but still not power...

Felt it here in Dry Canyon starting around 2 am. It was overcast for sometime, but then around 2 am it started sprinkling. The rain started about 3 am, and the wind hit around 5 and went off and on until 6 pm. This morning though, it wasn't raining, it was snowing. Visibility was bad, couldn't see the main gate from my place. Saw the rain start high in the afternoon when things calmed for a short bit. Up by Big Baldy you could see the rain and the you couldn't see Big Baldy, then you couldn't see the Upper Ridge, hen it hit, nice and steady. For a while there I was wondering if I should expect to see another flashflood because it was replicating that storm so much. The wind was out of the north, and was rocking my trailer pretty good. I'll have to re-level it I think. When I went to town this evening I could see the snow on the Wasatch Plateau. Unlike at my place, that snow stuck. In the end no puddles, just a trace of mud, and no power (my solar panels need sunlight).

I have you guys in my prayers that everything gets fixed soon. Glad no one's hurt.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I was brushing my teeth at 5:30 this morning when the power went out. My work van was inside the garage with no man door or windows. Took our extra car to work and got a little risky tonight when I got home and backfed the garage through and outlet to free our cars. Other than that no damage but still not power...
Any reason you didn't just pull the release on the door opener and manually open the thing?

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I was talking to Justin Jpest last night and he had to go unlock peoples garages that need power to unlock apparently, I asked the same thing. I got power back at about 145 am, but I have a leg out still, so the house has half power. At least my fridge is plugged in and the furnace worked this morning. Lost 2 sides of my fence.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I was talking to Justin Jpest last night and he had to go unlock peoples garages that need power to unlock apparently, I asked the same thing. I got power back at about 145 am, but I have a leg out still, so the house has half power. At least my fridge is plugged in and the furnace worked this morning. Lost 2 sides of my fence.

We struggled with this the whole time we were building our house. Electrical stuff that didn't have a manual mode..... Seemed pretty odd to me. It's out there and kind of dumb in my eyes. I think the only thing I failed on was the "on demand" water heater being electrical. (strangely, it's attached to the generator along with the fridge)

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
We struggled with this the whole time we were building our house. Electrical stuff that didn't have a manual mode..... Seemed pretty odd to me.

What kindof stuff are we talking about? All of my electronic door locks are battery powered??

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
What kindof stuff are we talking about? All of my electronic door locks are battery powered??

Just during our house build they asked about electronic locks and similar. Some of them didn't have a manual bypass and our contractor was a little shocked I just went "old school" with keys and deadbolts and similar. "...but you're an IT guy" is what I heard more than once. My reply to that was "I am an IT guy.... I want the manual stuff for a reason." They were surprised I didn't want automated, "smart house" stuff in the house as well.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Tree took out power to my garage yesterday among other damages. Fixed that pretty quick though.
IMG_20200908_082349.jpg

I spent from 8am to about 6:30 running a chainsaw all around the neighborhood. Very grateful for the opportunity to take a day off to help others. I am consistently and overwhelmingly impressed by the kindness of my neighbors who banded together to help me and the other folks in the neighborhood. Especially the young people who jumped at the idea of running a chainsaw and loppers lifting huge logs and loading trailers. I imagine today will be more of the same.

People are good. Sometimes God reminds us how good we can be to each other.

Took two truck and trailer loads to the dump yesterday.

One more loaded but ran out of time last night. (These are 18" diameter slices).
IMG_20200908_185256.jpg

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Just during our house build they asked about electronic locks and similar. Some of them didn't have a manual bypass and our contractor was a little shocked I just went "old school" with keys and deadbolts and similar. "...but you're an IT guy" is what I heard more than once. My reply to that was "I am an IT guy.... I want the manual stuff for a reason. They were surprised I didn't want automated, "smart house" stuff in the house as well.

I think most "IT guys" know that technology fails. That's what keeps us employed!

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Tree took out power to my garage yesterday among other damages. Fixed that pretty quick though.
View attachment 130753

I spent from 8am to about 6:30 running a chainsaw all around the neighborhood. Very grateful for the opportunity to take a day off to help others. I am consistently and overwhelmingly impressed by the kindness of my neighbors who banded together to help me and the other folks in the neighborhood. Especially the young people who jumped at the idea of running a chainsaw and loppers lifting huge logs and loading trailers. I imagine today will be more of the same.

People are good. Sometimes God reminds us how good we can be to each other.

Took two truck and trailer loads to the dump yesterday.

One more loaded but ran out of time last night. (These are 18" diameter slices).
View attachment 130752

Who wants to have an RME BBQ / tree removal party at my house without me 🤣