History of the Constrictor trail

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
As Scoutabout suggested, it would be great to have a thread detailing the history and progression of the Constrictor trail. Anyone who has pics of the early days should post up. I'll post up what I know, please correct me if I am wrong and I will edit my post to show the correct data.

I know Shawn, Tracy, and Kurt were the main three leaders in getting this done. I know Shawn lost 4 tires in the early runs due to extrememly sharp rocks

The biggest reason that this trail was legitimized for rigs large than ATVs was the presence and needed removal of a stolen Isuzu Rodeo that had been rolled off the cliff above what is now 'Radiator Rapids'. We were given permisiion by the BLM to go in and recover this vehicle. It required at least 3 trips into this canyone before we could extract the Rodeo. The final extraction was done on Public Lands Day when a mass cleanup of the 5 mile pass area was held.

Right on. Please post up with info. How long ago was the trail "established"? Who originally found it and how? etc, etc.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I remember turning around before the Eagle's Nest because of how much debris still needed to be removed before we could get up the rest of the way. We had to walk the rest of the way to see where the Isuzu was.

Caleb

I'd highly recommend not posting this stuff up, as neat as it maybe to see the early days of Con, it's also giving the enviros TONS of ammo posting the before and after pics. We all know it's been "raped" but until they get the pics to prove it, it's nothing more than heresay to them.

Meat_

Banned
Supergper said:
I'd highly recommend not posting this stuff up, as neat as it maybe to see the early days of Con, it's also giving the enviros TONS of ammo posting the before and after pics. We all know it's been "raped" but until they get the pics to prove it, it's nothing more than heresay to them.

Exactly why I was on the side of a private forum. I'll gladly delete my attachments in the other thread.....

Crinco

I agree with Supergper. The origanal post on this thread is what we should talk about. I remember that Rodeo sitting just before Eagles Nest, and I wondered how it got there and more importantly, how someone managed to get it out without destroying the trail and trees and such. Someone deserves credit for the clean-up.

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
i dont want before and after pics. i have a lot of current pics, but dont know what to call the obstacle. i could post some of my own pics and you guys could name them for me. it would also be nice to know why each obstacle got the name it got. i believe that would be considered part of the history of the trail.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
RockMonkey said:
I remember turning around before the Eagle's Nest because of how much debris still needed to be removed before we could get up the rest of the way. We had to walk the rest of the way to see where the Isuzu was.

Yep, I was with you that time. I scratched up a right-side body panel sliding sideways into that rock just before that other rock. (sorry Shawn, I don't remember the names...)

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Supergper said:
agreed.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
The trails history dates back to the turn of the century and the mining operations in the surrounding area. The Sunshine mine was a top producer in the area and its fair to assume miners were scattered all over surrounding the hillsides (Constrictor area) looking for the next big score. A close eye on the canyon wall will yeild the remnants of the mining exploration in the canyon (small prospecting, no tunnels/shafts to my knowledge). At best guess the canyon last saw mining activity on an commercial scale in the 1920-1930's. Possibly some small prospecting into the 1970-1980's as some of the surrounding area saw...

The road was clear to full-size vehicles truly to about the Eagles nest, very little was needed to get a rig through (albeit risking some rock rash on obstacles like the Fang RIP!). In addition, the path above the Eagles nest was easily driveable in the same fashion, just leaving the task of conquering the "Eagles Nest" to complete the trail... Easier said than done.

Naming the trails...
On the first day vehicles made it through the canyon, we started attaching names to all the obstacles and the trail itself. I had always thought Constrictor would be an apporpriate name, sounded good along with Rattlesnake (Demon Jeeps baby), and seemed fitting for the area. I can't remmber how all the other names came to be, just that they did.. Wolverine (Shawn?), Brittney's Box, The Fang (obvious at site ;)), Radiator Rapids and the Eagles Nest (actually looked like a "nest" from all the crap piled into the bottom of it...

The Rodeo was stolen in SL County, brick pedaled and driven off the cliff edge above the canyon. The BLM law enforcment officer had been to the scene, recorded all the information, and left it at that. They didn't have means (nor money) to get it out of there. Its likely it would still be there today if left in their hands. Several recon trips were organized to see how feasably it could make it out of there in one peice... doable. I brought my torch set in my Tacoma from the top (down to the Eagles Nest), and many others came in from the bottom (Olly, Suka, etc). We "lightened" the thing up as much as possible using a torch, piling all the trash (and surrounding trash) into the back of the rigs. A week later came Pubic Lands Day 2003, the BLM had coordinated to have us get it out to the road where a wrecker would pick it up. Using several different rigs (gti? suka?) and ALOT of helping hands to push pull, etc... we were able to drag it to the end (the actual turnoff from the highway). The same day we (U4WDA & RME members) pulled to other cars out of the hills at the request of the BLM.

Last edited:

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Moon said:
Well he allways said he found and opened it. Not saying he did or diddn't.
And yes I was kinda trying to be funny:rolleyes:
Demon had nothing to do with Constrictor. In fact the only reason he found WW was because he strayed form the pack that was finding another trail.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Hickey said:
I know Shawn, Tracy, and Kurt were the main three leaders in getting this done. I know Shawn lost 4 tires in the early runs due to extrememly sharp rocks
And a broken 60 shaft, Detroit, Springs, and countless amounts of body damage. This trail come me a ton of money, but I have some sweet memories..:D

Houndoc

I am going to toss out a thought that is likely to rain lots of anger down. Please don't direct it at me. I am in no way defending the creating of bypasses or damaging an area. I agree with all that has been said about people needing to be prepared for the level of trail they are driving and staying on the trail.

However, to play the devils advocate, where is the line drawn between those who "created" the trail in the first place and those who "modify" it later with bypasses etc? When is a "new line" an "illegal bypass"?

Which started the damage? Was it done truly thinking that it would look the same 3 years later as when it was first driven?

Just a little food for thought.