Hitch Fuel Carrier- questions on modding

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I bought this fuel carrier from Moody a little bit ago to augment my measly 18.5 gallon fuel tank. Its all stainless steel.

deheTc6l.jpg

Its awesome but because of my spare tire it won't insert into the hitch far enough for a pin, I'm 3" short. Because the receiver is only 6" I'm not able to drill another hole further back. I knew all of this before I bought it and picked up a 12" hitch extender from Harbor Freight. This works great for getting everything to fit but now the whole setup wobbles pretty good.

These are a few options I'm considering:

- weld the extender to the fuel carrier
- buy some stainless square tube and extend the receiver with that
- add 3" + to vehicle side of the receiver

What makes the most sense to do to firm up this carrier? I'm headed on a trip in a week and a half and will need this done by then.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
How quick can you remove the hitch with one of those rattle reducers installed? I'll need to be able to get it off easy enough since I have to remove the fuel carrier to get in the back of the Jeep.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
How quick can you remove the hitch with one of those rattle reducers installed? I'll need to be able to get it off easy enough since I have to remove the fuel carrier to get in the back of the Jeep.

Unlock it, unscrew it, yank it out. It's a hitch pin.