HITR trail

cackalak

I’ve been through this trail twice now. Both times in a side x side.

This year, I’m thinking of taking a JL Unlimited Rubicon. 100% stock. (ie 33’s).

Any thoughts? I know I’ll be fine through Marble Canyon. Getting up and down Grey Mesa, up and down the chute, I’m not sure.

I’d also like to head down to the Rincon as I’ve never been before.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I think you'll be fine, Did it in my Tacoma with 31's and open diffs. Might have to be a little selective on the line you take but I don't think you'll have an issue.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Rincon is closed to vehicle traffic per the National Park Service. I am not interested in an argument about folks continuing to drive it, just stating the fact that the NPS considers it closed.

As for a stock Jeep on HITR, it'll likely be fine , but the last time I went through (2020) there were several sketchy and dug out spots on the climb to Grey Mesa. The climb after the "Chute" has some tough spots too. A good driver with an appropriate line goes a long way.

cackalak

Thanks for the info. I did not realize Rincon was closed. A fellow that I know told me 3 years ago that it’s a must do.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Thanks for the info. I did not realize Rincon was closed. A fellow that I know told me 3 years ago that it’s a must do.
Lots of people run it, as you’ll see when you reach the intersection how well-traveled the route is. There was zero signage for it the last two times I ran it (2021 and 2022).

cackalak

Lots of people run it, as you’ll see when you reach the intersection how well-traveled the route is. There was zero signage for it the last two times I ran it (2021 and 2022).

Funny, I ran it those same two years. I did see the turn off and it’s definitely well-traveled. I didn’t see any trail closure signs either. But now that I know, I’ll stay off of it. Going to the lookout and back is fun enough.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Funny, I ran it those same two years. I did see the turn off and it’s definitely well-traveled. I didn’t see any trail closure signs either. But now that I know, I’ll stay off of it. Going to the lookout and back is fun enough.
They don’t sign it as closed. Their method is to publish a map with all of the approved routes. Anything that isn’t on their map, is a closed route. Seems kinda backwards, but that’s how they do it. Some maps like Nat Geo will show it as closed, but the official Glen Canyon Rec area map just omits the entire trail.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Garfield County considers it open under RS2477, but NPS says it is closed.

Fwiw, Garfield County commissioner also told me they don't condone running it and won't/don't provide legal defense. The other 50% shareholder on that RS2477 claim is the State of Utah, they have this to say:

"The appearance of a road on Access Map does not guarantee that the road is presently open to vehicular use. Until a road is adjudicated in court as qualifying as an R. S. 2477 road, federal government agencies may close these roads or place limitations upon who may use the road or what types of vehicles may be used on the road."

As @DAA pointed out, it has been signed in the past. Carsonite doesn't always last long in some places.