Hobart welder?

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
sears $229

See if this link works

Sears Link

But I think for $200 you are better off to find a used AC/DC welder. You can do a lot with an AC only welder, but I found that the DC side opened lots of doors for me. I was able to find rods that started easier, and left better welds. It took a lot of practice with AC to get similar welds as to what I was doing in a few nights with DC

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
From memory I paid $125 for my old Lincoln AC/DC stick welder. The guy gave me some gloves, a old helmet, and some old rods to weld with too, so I was welding the first night.

I also have a new craftsmam AC/DC welder that I am storing for a cousin. Side by side I will tell you that the old Lincoln welds much better than the new craftsman does. It takes lots of practice to start the craftsman without sticking to the steel, but for some reason the old Lincoln strikes up much easier. I understand it has part inside of if that help it get a larger spark for for the initial weld to help it start, where the craftsman does not have that built into it.

Caleb

something to look into, call the local welding hsops and see what they have used. At my old shop we got a "used" (it wasn't really ever used, they guy traded it in on something larger) MM251 for $600, it was the most current model out. I bet you can find a really nice AC/DC stick in your price range. A lot of the used units are repairs that are never picked-up.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
I second on the used welder. Like I said before my old second hand lincoln welder that looks like the one below welds much nicer than the newer craftsman welders. I think that the AC/DC that you selected would be nicer than the craftsman as well, but my point is that for $200 I bet you can find a very nice used AC/DC welder, that will probably weld as nice as the one you have picked out.
But I also think that the AC/DC you have selected is well worth the price over the AC only from before

Lincoln-Welder.jpg

Caleb

US Welding in Salt Lake, Air Gas, Praxair, RJB (or something like that) Welding...pretty much look in the yellow pages and call them all. These are the shops I have personally dealt with and have always been treated good.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
Well US welding called back. They called tehre SLC store and they don't have any used welders.

The new welders they have are the Lincoln for $439.00 and a miller for $442.00.

I'll call the other places Super gave me.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
check KSL, there is an ad for two welders on there now without good enough descriptions to tell what they really are. It would be worth a call to ask more questions.

chadr

Welder

Southern Utah's Pioneer shopper has one for sale in Cedar City. Might be worth a trip down.

2006-03-30 07:00 Cedar City Misc

WELDER FOR SALE... Lincoln 225 AC/DC, good condition, $150. (435)531-9522

Tjjeepjunkie

J.A.M. Off-Road Racing
Kris K said:
Thanks.

Most likley i'll be getting the Miller Thunderbolt XL from US welding. Atleast thats the plan for now.
I can sell a brand new Thunderbolt AC only for $286.32 and AC DC for $446.84

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
It's been just over a year and, I'm on the hunt for a used AC/DC arc welder. I almost had one last week but it sold before the boss (wife) gave the ok. I have $200-$250 to spend.