Trip Report Hole in the Rock 4/24/21

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
One day in, one day out. I had plenty of fuel in my JK with a 16 gallon tank. I carried 3 more gallons and dumped them in after the first day, and that left me with just over a half tank when we got back to the tow rigs.

A lot of people just stay in low range for the whole trail. I think that consumes more fuel.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
It will probably be a long time before I subject myself to that many bumps in a trail but it was really worth it. Bucket list trail for sure. I'm also super glad my daughter decided to come with me the night before I was leaving. As much as she hated the bumpy-ness I think she had a really good experience and she really was a good trooper. As long as I kept her fed she wasn't too grumpy :)

On the road
IMG_4958.jpeg

Hite somewhere across the way
IMG_4964.jpeg

It was nice taking our time down on Friday, being tourists.
IMG_4967.jpeg

Hite ramp. G said we should go look for Hite's gold cache since the water was so low.
IMG_4968.jpeg

View from camp near Halls Crossing
IMG_4974.jpeg

Camp Frens
IMG_4978.jpeg

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Next morningIMG_4984.jpeg

Unload and air down
IMG_4986.jpeg

The famous half track. A lot of it was covered in AR-ish plate
IMG_4988.jpeg

The whole time was just awesome 360 deg of beautiful slick rock landscape and canyons that rip open in the distance.
IMG_4997.jpeg

IMG_5001.jpeg

IMG_5004.jpeg

This was cool. I guess the original path diverged around here and wagons came down this area... which is nuts because it's seriously really narrow and steep. I could envision some kind of pully system helping out though.
IMG_5008.jpeg

IMG_5009.jpeg

Every once in a while there were these fun technical features that would break the trail up.
IMG_5011.jpeg

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Backtracked in to find a non-windy camp

View from above our camp where I was able to get a good signal and notify the wife that we were doing great.
IMG_5043.jpeg

IMG_5045.jpeg

IMG_5054.jpeg

Next morning we headed back out:
IMG_5055.jpeg

IMG_5062.jpeg

Back up the Chute:
IMG_5068.jpeg
IMG_5073.jpeg

Another shot from Grey Mesa at a different time of day:

IMG_5074.jpeg

Cool outcrop in the wash just before getting back out of the trail: