Hole in the rock to the rincon trail and the chute

yotis 4x4

wheelin=church:)
Has anyone done this within the last year? Does anyone have a detailed map of
This area? Difficulty rating? Would love general info. Would really like to do this in the spring. Thanks for any info

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Lots of info here. Rincon is closed to vehicle travel.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Has anyone done this within the last year? Does anyone have a detailed map of
This area? Difficulty rating? Would love general info. Would really like to do this in the spring. Thanks for any info
I ran it last March, not including the Rincon (as it isn’t legal for vehicle travel).

The best mapping and routing I’ve found is using GAIA and the tracks from their website. Difficulty is probably a 4 out of 10.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Last time I was on the trail in SXS's it showed signs of traffic. Not a lot, but enough that you can tell it is being used.

No doubt it's being used. Hell, Rocky Mountain ATV featured driving it on their YouTube channel. There was discussion about the backlash of that here on RME? or it might have been another forum/FB. RMATV wouldn't ever respond to questions about it. Episode is still up.

1678158731474.png

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
No doubt it's being used. Hell, Rocky Mountain ATV featured driving it on their YouTube channel. There was discussion about the backlash of that here on RME? or it might have been another forum/FB. RMATV wouldn't ever respond to questions about it. Episode is still up.

View attachment 157620
Interesting. What year was this video? Last I was on it, was about 2 years go, and a RMATV manager was with me.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Seems the whole "police your own" for trail closures is really backfiring on all of us. It's a tool in their kit to keep closing more and more routes with no restitution for our side in sight and we keep infighting because "if we travel it they will close more!"... but we already know they are going to close more.

Reminds me of the type of people who get angry about others who have figured out how to pay little to no taxes. It's appearing ridiculous at this point.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Seems the whole "police your own" for trail closures is really backfiring on all of us. It's a tool in their kit to keep closing more and more routes with no restitution for our side in sight and we keep infighting because "if we travel it they will close more!"... but we already know they are going to close more.

Reminds me of the type of people who get angry about others who have figured out how to pay little to no taxes. It's appearing ridiculous at this point.

I guess I’m missing your point. Are you saying you advocate driving a road that has been closed for 40 years? Driving closed roads does lead to dismissive favor from land managers, public perception and I can readily cite situations where illegal route use does/did lead to additional closures in an area (Forest Lake is a great example).

Can you share a situation where rogue use did the motorized community any favors? If someone wants to do a protest ride and invite the media and state/county officials as a way to bring awareness to the feds strangle on RS2477 and Class D routes… I’m 1000% behind that.

I don’t think we are going to lose more… if people get involved. If 1/10 motorized users in Utah spent time engaging the processes let alone donating money to groups working to resolve these issues, we could add routes, particularly if RS2477 claims can be adjudicated. So now we have a collision of ethics and apathy.

Don‘t get me wrong, I want this road re-opened as much as anyone and can comfortable say I’ve spent more time tying to make that actually happen than most. Discussed at length with the NPS rec planner, in person at meetings, participated in public comment periods, discussed and supplied supporting information to the County. I don’t care about tax loopholes or fraud, but I do care when the actions of others impact the trails I can still enjoy or may be able to enjoy in the future.

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I guess I’m missing your point. Are you saying you advocate driving a road that has been closed for 40 years? Driving closed roads does lead to dismissive favor from land managers, public perception and I can readily cite situations where illegal route use does/did lead to additional closures in an area (Forest Lake is a great example).

Can you share a situation where rogue use did the motorized community any favors? If someone wants to do a protest ride and invite the media and state/county officials as a way to bring awareness to the feds strangle on RS2477 and Class D routes… I’m 1000% behind that.

Don‘t get me wrong, I want this road re-opened as much as anyone and can comfortable way I’ve spent more time tying to make that actually happen than most. Discussed at length with the NPS rec planner, in person at meetings, participated in public comment periods, discussed and supplied supporting information to the County. I don’t care about tax loopholes or fraud, but I do care when the actions of others impact the trails I can still enjoy or may be able to enjoy in the future.
I agree with you, I'm just tired of the closures. Seems no matter how much work goes it, it's usually fruitless. But I'm at a point where I'm not going to balk online at people traveling responsibly on existing routes that have been deemed closed by the supposed crown. It all seems really ridiculous.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I agree with you, I'm just tired of the closures. Seems no matter how much work goes it, it's usually fruitless. But I'm at a point where I'm not going to balk online at people traveling responsibly on existing routes that have been deemed closed by the supposed crown. It all seems really ridiculous.

I look forward to the state and county being ready to help defend these roads, ie asking people to go and enjoy them to help them validate their claims.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I look forward to the state and county being ready to help defend these roads, ie asking people to go and enjoy them to help them validate their claims.
You're way more informed and involved than I am so I apologize if my comments seem backwoods, but just purely from my own logical standpoint we are fighting in a sandbox that seems designed to keep us at a loss.

I really do hope the county and state steps up more and more for all the closures.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
You're way more informed and involved than I am so I apologize if my comments seem backwoods, but just purely from my own logical standpoint we are fighting in a sandbox that seems designed to keep us at a loss.

I really do hope the county and state steps up more and more for all the closures.

I think the in-fighting particularly between user groups (4x4 vs. SxS vs. moto) is absolutely counter productive and harmful. We spend as much or more time defending against other motorized users as we do actually working as a joint front. Fortunately there is good happening. We have a group on FB that has active reps from OHV, SxS, moto, sled, 4x4 and others and some great things have come out of it. Would you be shocked to hear there may be a new route in AFC that makes a loop of some other trails.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The two times I’ve done it, I camped at the Marina campground the night before starting the trail, then near the middle of the trail, then woke up and finished the trail.