Holy cow talk about some BIG TIRES

Caleb

I've really thought about going to the XMLs but the cost of moving over is too much at this point...I would have to sell my new TR beadlocks and tires and then buy them with some other 20" rims and I wont go without beadlocks since I already have them and 20" locks are $$$...plus I have heard that you have to groove big time to get ok flex outta these tires:D

Caleb

Isn't just about everything in this sport nothing more than a "fad"??? I mean come on, who actually uses anything original nowadays?? 1 ton gear-been done, rockwells-been done, mogs-been done, volvos-been done, remember when 44s used to be the ultimate swap??? back when I decided to use a 4.3L in my project it wasn't trendy...no one was really using them back then...I have always said that you dont need the power of a big v-8 when we are geared as low as we are...remember when 33s were big...how bout 35s...well whats big now...52s??? Its just progression in our sport ...IMO:D

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Saw some on a SuperDuty in the parking lot of Home Depot a week ago. 20" rims w/ flat plate centers. Massachussetts plates. $$$

Brdpraey

:rolleyes: wow! but:( could you imagine the body fab you would have to go thru.
there would be no body left:p

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
avalanche engineering has been up this creek for a long time. their buggy is ultra light like we all want ours to be. is there any kind of contact patch whatsoever on those tires designed for thousands of pounds.....imagine how hard that tread compound must be...and the fact that this was basically an engineering excercise on their behalf to see if it would work.

bigass1.jpg

bigass2.jpg

bigass3.jpg

it "LOOKS" cool but how functional can it be on such a light rig. these tires installed on those big 8X8 osh kosh things take the entire equivelent of this buggy on each tire every day!! you would probably never wear out a set but they don't look like they would do that hot on a steep slick rock climb I.E. caddilac hill or launchpad. arguing clearence is hard because you can get the same clearence and track width with MOG axles and 44's, maybe even more.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by Vonski
Saw some on a SuperDuty in the parking lot of Home Depot a week ago. 20" rims w/ flat plate centers. Massachussetts plates. $$$

There was a Superduty in one of the mags a month or two ago that was running these tires (I don't think they were 52's) The thing is from Utha I think...it was huge...they ran upper Hells in it, I guess it did ok but trashed the truck...waste IMHO...

xjc

I give up :(
Originally posted by spencurai
avalanche engineering has been up this creek for a long time. their buggy is ultra light like we all want ours to be. is there any kind of contact patch whatsoever on those tires designed for thousands of pounds.....imagine how hard that tread compound must be...and the fact that this was basically an engineering excercise on their behalf to see if it would work.

it "LOOKS" cool but how functional can it be on such a light rig. these tires installed on those big 8X8 osh kosh things take the entire equivelent of this buggy on each tire every day!! you would probably never wear out a set but they don't look like they would do that hot on a steep slick rock climb I.E. caddilac hill or launchpad. arguing clearence is hard because you can get the same clearence and track width with MOG axles and 44's, maybe even more.

Good point, there is allot more to a tire than height and width. Having a super stiff tire with hard compound is just gona kill ya on the rocks. Hard Rubber is good when slogging through mud or sand with an open throttle but not for rock traction. In my humble oppinion I think the best moab tire would be a big fat tall drag slick that's so soft that rocks stick to it. give em 5psi and bead locks. Thats the kind of tire that would hold slickrock like spiderman!:eek:

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
my point is that these tires are designed to support the weight of a 40,000lb vehicle. I dont know the load rating bt it is high!! we are talking about putting them on a vehicle that has a weight of around 3-5000 pounds....no comparo!!

xjc

I give up :(
I would bet that the capacity of one of those tires is more than the GVW of a superduty!!!!!! Thats nuts

(I could be wrong, there's a first time for everything;)

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Originally posted by xjc
I would bet that the capacity of one of those tires is more than the GVW of a superduty!!!!!! Thats nuts

(I could be wrong, there's a first time for everything;)

You're not too far off. I looked on Ford's website, but the best I could do was to find the GAWR for the snowplow package of 5200#. This makes me believe that the GVWR of the standard F250 superduty is in the neighborhood of 9500# (or more).

This guy doesn't say exactly which XML this is, but there are 3 sizes available for the 20" wheel. Of those, the one I think he is selling (based on overall diameter) is the 14.00R20. This tire has a max load of 8040# at 95psi.

There is actually another dimension available for the 20" wheel that has a max load of 9645# @ 95psi.

so, I'd say you're pretty close with your statement of the Superduty GVWR vs the XML Max Load