Home addition/remodel

Pike2350

So in the garage build I referenced a neighbors house that has the rear addition that we want to do.....the wife and I are looking to get this ball rolling this year.

If the garage build taught me anything, it's that contractors are some of the worst people to get to come out and bid a job...and if they do, they take forever to get back to you, if ever.

So far I've contacted around 10 companies to come give a bid.....letting them know work wouldnt be starting until the spring. 3 have gotten back to me. 1 called and basically directed me to a design firm and quoted a "base starting point" of $250/sf. WTF. Another came to the house but wanted me to sign a contract for facilitating the design work that IF we went with them would then be credited to the construction costs..but said it is usually $5-10k. Their reviews had lots of complaints about the process and how they pretty much take the $ and give you almost nothing in return. The 3rd one came and sounded and talked like they may work out. They understood what I wanted and the level we were looking to go with the remodel and said he'd get me a quote in a week. 2 weeks later I finally got a call back with a quote way higher then expected and didnt have any line item pricing so I couldn't even see where the costs were.

So I am curious if anyone has any recommendations?

What we are looking to do is to remove the back wall of the house (approx 18') install a metal beam and add on 10' in depth then put the kitchen in the new part. The basement below the kitchen is completely open so moving plumbing and appliances will be easy. The final kitchen will be approx 15x10 with an island. The other half of the addition/existing room will be dining. The kitchen will.be midgrade....nothing ultra high end....but not HD stock stuff either. I have estimated that just the kitchen will be $20-25k. It's the rest of the construction I can't quite get a price on. If the garage is amy indication I feel comfortable thinking that cost to build the addition (less then half the size) should be in line since ut will have a but more expense with the tyng into the existing house. The outside would moat likely be siding like the garage (minus the brick) so it's nothing major and doesn't really need architect involvement.

This addition has been done on numerous houses in our neighborhood...so I know it's nothing new. The neighbors that have them either it was done when they bought the house or was done 10+ years ago so they don't really have much input.

Pike2350

I have asked quite a few...but as said, either they bought the house that way or it was 10+ years ago and they don't remember, or the company is no longer around.

Pike2350

Another contractor that took the time to talk to me on the phone for a good 20 mins going over things has seemed very promising. He came over a few weeks ago to go over the project. He said he'd get me a bid in a week or so. Followed up with him and he said he'd have it to me that day. Poof, he disappeared for a few weeks. When I sent him a follow up text he claims it was sent on Monday of this week. I get a text later that night saying his email isn't sending/receiving emails for some reason....but he'll get it figured out and over to me. I get a text this morning that after reviewing his schedule and man power he won't be able to take on the project.....but would be happy to consult. When I asked UGH.

At this point I'm beyond frustrated with the contractor industry. I know they are all busy and that they can pretty much have any work they want....but man, I've never had a good experience with them. It seems getting them to even come bid, even before COVID and the building boom of the past 2 years has been near impossible.

I guess we will have to shelf the addition for awhile...but it's frustrating and feel I will be facing the same issues at that time. I know construction prices are high, but I for see inflation in the next few years, so I think I'll be in the same boat expensewise in a year or 2 anyway. If I hadn't just purchased a new rental that needs a little work, I'd consider doing this myself....but time is tough to come by and I am not confident I could even get subs to come bid the various stages. Hell, I could frame it, but getting a foundation poured could prove to be near impossible....let alone the time involved during business hours to get permitting and drawings dealt with.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Right now is the worst time to try and build anything in Utah in pretty much 100 years. Materials are 4 or 5x what they would normally be and labor rates due to the boom are at least 2x. I'd shelve the project for a year. There will be way more contractors looking for work in a year according to every person in real estate that I know.

Realtors are asking for an up front fee just to work with people right now. Then many seller aren't paying the full commission so buyers are having to pay part of the realtors commission. It's a crazy time.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I've got a neighbor down the street that is having an addition/covered porch on the back of their house in sugarhouse. Also had a small garage built all in the last 2 or 3 weeks. I'll try to get a picture of the truck

Corban_White

Realtors are asking for an up front fee just to work with people right now. Then many seller aren't paying the full commission so buyers are having to pay part of the realtors commission. It's a crazy time.

I hope this trend continues. I think buyers should always have to pay their own realtor. Paying the buyers agent's commission is like paying the mob for "protection" IMO.