Home built trailer

toys4rocks

I didn't mean to do that!
How many of you have built your own trailer for your crawler? Any thing you would add or remove knowing what you now know? Anything to watch out for. I have built a few trailers, but nothing totally customized.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
To haul the crawler, or to pull behind it?

Here's my little offroad trailer, it may not apply to what you're asking though. :)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I've built two car/Jeep haulers. The first one I started with the frame and axles of a rolled travel trailer. It was okay, but the axles were really the only thing worth using. The frame is very thin wall tube and covered in some nasty coating.

The second trailer I built from scratch. 14'X 82" wide deck over axle. I wish I would have held on to this one, but I would not make it deck over the next time as it added some weight. It weighed 1850 lbs.

D9872038-CEFA-4563-B6A3-F3FB618A1FDE.jpeg261634F4-928F-4674-8F2C-345D12046F91.jpeg26AEF356-6EFC-4A35-90A7-7469DC55422C.jpeg80919E04-812A-4625-B011-A7C95BB0AFED.jpeg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
For the next trailer it will be pretty similar to the pics above, just not deck over. Probably a wood deck, just because I think it would be easier to paint all sides of the steel without the deck installed.

I've considered building one like this pic below, but I'm not sure I would love a dedicated trailer to store that can only haul the Jeep. Using it as a utility trailer would fit better in my fleet.

ED390CB5-AB6D-42B7-9661-9413D96CAB8C.jpeg67E0E7C9-D843-4979-9641-D37A79DD5A3C.jpeg

toys4rocks

I didn't mean to do that!
I think that's the problem I am having, I would like a dedicated trailer, but I know better. Also, the single axle is intriguing to say the least, but my new to me crawler is going to be pretty heavy.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member

I'd kind of like to apply that same deck concept to my deckover gooseneck. See if could lose about 1500 lbs. Probably put back in about as much as I'd take off? (the deck wood is HEAVY though--might just pull out the center strips and lose 400-500 lbs over 28'? ) Can I convert the deck over to a car hauler type? I think I'd like the Jeeps more in the aerodynamic hole that the Stuper Duty created already rather than having a full grille/windshield sitting just at the top of the goose neck part.

Last edited: