Home built trailer

ID Bronco

With a diesel tow vehicle, I wouldn't bother with the weight as much. I think anything I can do to make it easier on the gas motor the better it will perform with better mpg?

Re: how it might tow better? Hard to say. I used to tow my 29' camp trailer and my '26 Jeep hauler bumper pull trailer. The difference in towing was AMAZING just due to what I attribute to the wind signature of the travel trailer. Travel trailer about 5500-6000 lbs. I scaled the Jeep hauler with two rigs on it once at 12,800. It truly was just as easy for my 7.3L or 5.9L trucks to pull either trailer (both are obviously diesel but torque is torque, right?).

Keeping the rig on the trailer in the draft of the truck might prove to be quite a good idea if you're towing one rig on a single axle or two rigs on a three axle?

Marc, Brent used to have a light bumper pull trailer that would hold 2 rigs comfortably and 3 in a pinch. We took it to the Rubicon years ago and it was awesome. Rails only, no middle decking. I hope i'm remembering correctly. I'll look for a photo.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
That trailer looks to be a great example of what I’m looking for, just a little longer than I want. I really think I can get away with 24’ if I plan it right.

Fully agree. That's why I posted it....you know where there's an example, if you want to build a similar one. Or buy one like it and shorten?

I really like that setup. For a third rig, I think I'd want a third axle on the trailer and an F550? (all trailer axles with brakes)

I agree with that too--and I know Bob would as well. (since he's mentioned adding a 3rd axle before...it gets pretty overload-y with 3 rigs)

Kirk

Joining this late..... I am currently squeezing a tracker and a stretched CJ on a 22 ft deck. (bubba's trailer 7K axles) You can see I had to build ramps for the front. I've had a hard time getting comfortable with the hitch weight - I had to go from a 12K equalizer to a 14K with over 1,200 lbs of tongue weight to get it to pull ok (I've probably weighed this 10 times) I feel like I'm right on the edge with it moving me around. I make sure nothing is in the jeep and load the tracker with tools, etc. Granted my ramps on the back of the trailer are adding weight - but I can sure tell there is a lot of weight on the back of the trailer when both are loaded (tail wagging the dog) - I still haven't let wife or kids drive with both vehicles on the trailer. I think my total weight is about 11K. The rear of the jeep is about even with the rear of the trailer.
I pulled a 30 ft deck gooseneck with two jeeps before this, and it was way better to pull - no stress at all.

Picture was before I was converted to equalizer hitches.....

Jeeps on trailer.jpg

ID Bronco

Joining this late..... I am currently squeezing a tracker and a stretched CJ on a 22 ft deck. (bubba's trailer 7K axles) You can see I had to build ramps for the front. I've had a hard time getting comfortable with the hitch weight - I had to go from a 12K equalizer to a 14K with over 1,200 lbs of tongue weight to get it to pull ok (I've probably weighed this 10 times) I feel like I'm right on the edge with it moving me around. I make sure nothing is in the jeep and load the tracker with tools, etc. Granted my ramps on the back of the trailer are adding weight - but I can sure tell there is a lot of weight on the back of the trailer when both are loaded (tail wagging the dog) - I still haven't let wife or kids drive with both vehicles on the trailer. I think my total weight is about 11K. The rear of the jeep is about even with the rear of the trailer.
I pulled a 30 ft deck gooseneck with two jeeps before this, and it was way better to pull - no stress at all.

Picture was before I was converted to equalizer hitches.....

View attachment 123752

Would your tongue weight be better if you turned the Tracker around?

Kirk

I've been slowly adding tongue weight, not less - I started with about 1,050 - and it wasn't enough - I wouldn't be surprised if I'm pushing 1,250-1,300 lbs. toungue weight. I haven't weighed it for a few months. Since the picture, I've added a front bumper/winch to the tracker and two spare tires on the front of the trailer - all in an effort to get more weight on the front of the trailer - i could move the jeep back 6" if I wanted less.....

Last moab trip I pulled the jeep forward about 1 more inch in Wellington and it made a difference - I think its just a lot of weight on the back of the trailer.....

ID Bronco

I've been slowly adding tongue weight, not less - I started with about 1,050 - and it wasn't enough - I wouldn't be surprised if I'm pushing 1,250-1,300 lbs. toungue weight. I haven't weighed it for a few months. Since the picture, I've added a front bumper/winch to the tracker and two spare tires on the front of the trailer - all in an effort to get more weight on the front of the trailer - i could move the jeep back 6" if I wanted less.....

Last moab trip I pulled the jeep forward about 1 more inch in Wellington and it made a difference - I think its just a lot of weight on the back of the trailer.....

I misunderstood

Pike2350

Would you get more weight on the tongue pulling the Jeep on first?