Home tire machine

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
As my shop is getting built I've been looking at tire machines - changer and balancer. Might not get in the budget for a while, but its been a chance to look. Over the years being active duty military, I used a few different machines in the base auto hobby shops.

It always makes me mad when I buy tires and the tire shop scratches the wheel, over-tighten the lug nuts, and generally do a crappy job. The satisfaction of doing it myself is enough for me to want my own machine.

Does anyone have their own machine? I think that the Ranger brand might be top of the market, but the price reflects that as well. Is there something more budget friendly for home use?

1969honda

Supporting Member
Coates are a decent brand, that's what the couple shops I worked for over the years have all been using?

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Glad you are doing it for personal quality. It's not worth if you are trying to save money

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I think you are going to use it less in your lifetime than a tire shop would use it in a month. Obviously don't buy garbage.. but no need to buy the 'best' when 'good enough' will last until you die, IMO.

I have the old center hub screw type machine (coates 4040 maybe?). It was made a looooong time ago before people worried about scratched wheels. It was old when I used it in high school (1999-2001 ish) at Big-O.. and I bought it from them in 2006ish when they replaced it.. It has been used and abused for decades and still runs fine.
It wont hold tires larger than a bald 35, and cant do wheels larger than 18".

The newer style 'rim clamp machines are far superior with the claws that come from the back of the wheel.
Something like this use machine would get you in the game for cheap.