General Tech Honcho Build, "Desert Edition"

ChrisO

Jeepin' since 1975
To hide the factory ugly, I made sheet metal covers then applied carbon fiber looking vinyl.

CO-83J10-314.JPG

I hired a friend who is a fantastic upholstering artist, and he did the padded headliner and covered the steel dash. Cant hardly see it, but he used the same color thread as the paint!

CO-83J10-311.JPG

CO-83J10-294.JPG

Time to jump into electrical. For starters, I'm a fabricator, not an electrical engineer! I "tried" to adapt the stock J-10 harness into the Autometer dash, but it just didn't work right. Lucky for me, another friend jumped in to help out. A Painless harness was acquired and we started from scratch. The gauge panels were wired with their own pig tails so access would be easy. Then, it was just one wire at a time!

CO-83J10-298.JPG

CO-83J10-358.JPG

More later...

ChrisO

Jeepin' since 1975
I ran some temporary wires to test drive it, and to see if the truck was playing friendly before I got too far.

CO-83J10-316.JPG

CO-83J10-325.JPG

I got pulled over by a local cop, and as he came walking up to me, I asked him, "gee officer, what could possibly be wrong?" He promptly told me to get it back to the garage or he'd have it impounded! No more test drives, till it's done!

It is time to pull the bed off and get it ready for paint.

CO-83J10-329.JPG

CO-83J10-330.JPG

I sprayed the underside, and inside with paintable undercoating, then painted the whole thing to match the truck.

CO-83J10-332.JPG

CO-83J10-350.JPG

When the bed was off, I mounted the battery, fuel tank and finished the 3" single exhaust system.

CO-83J10-340.JPG

CO-83J10-336.JPG

CO-83J10-442.JPG

Woops, wrong picture above, that's the front bumper getting built!

Back to the fuel tank... !

CO-83J10-342.JPG

More later...

ChrisO

Jeepin' since 1975
LOVE IT! Where did you find a wrapped steering wheel, or did you spend 10 hours doing it yourself?

Actually, it came from the factory that way!. I don't know what year or any other details. I found it on E-bay. I did clean it and painted it black with vinyl dye.

CO-83J10-361.JPG

ChrisO

Jeepin' since 1975
The doors got completely disassembled, cleaned, undercoated (inside) and painted inside and out. I then glued sound deadening foam inside the outer shell.

CO-83J10-397.JPG

I built aluminum panels for the doors, then covered them with vinyl that look like carbon fiber.

CO-83J10-458.JPG

CO-83J10-457.JPG
Yes, I did paint the white speaker covers black!

Finished off the dash and center console with carbon fiber vinyl too.

CO-83J10-404.JPG

Getting closer......

ChrisO

Jeepin' since 1975
Here is pics of the bed back on, bed cage powder coated and installed, rear shocks installed (2.5 FOX, IBP, piggyback remotes).

CO-83J10-385.JPG

The light cage houses five LightForce 170's. I was going for the old-school look, and decided to not install a LED bar on top. The light cage can be raised and lowered with a 12V actuator.

CO-83J10-354.JPG

it was time to build a bracket for the tool box. I didn't want to bolt it to the floor, so I could stuff long objects under it if needed, and to be able to power wash the bed. I build a frame that hung from the cage.

CO-83J10-426.JPG

CO-83J10-421.JPG

ChrisO

Jeepin' since 1975
I didn't like the stock inner fenders, or the battery under the hood.

CO-83J10-225.JPG

so, I decided to locate the battery under the bed, and build new inner fenders.

CO-83J10-340.JPG
The exhaust ran close, so I built a heat shield. Also, installed a short cable connector for jump-starts or (?). Note the 00 welding cable for leads (BIG orange cable)!

The fiberglass fenders needed support, so here is the under structure for them. Also the attachment for the inner fenders.

CO-83J10-379.JPG

Here is the start for the inner fenders. Cardboard templates were mocked up, then transferred to .050 sheet metal.

CO-83J10-420.JPG

CO-83J10-437.JPG

After the fab was done, several coats of Evercoat brand spray undercoating were applied.

CO-83J10-435.JPG

CO-83J10-440.JPG

BTW, thanks for all the complements!
Keep on Jeepin'

Last edited:

_Auzzy_

Current Rig: 12W Boots
I always wanted to slam a 12v Cummins in one of these with newer one ton ford axles and use I to tow my jeep. Still want to. This is an awesome build!

ChrisO

Jeepin' since 1975
I always wanted to slam a 12v Cummins in one of these with newer one ton ford axles and use I to tow my jeep. Still want to. This is an awesome build!
If you do that, consider making it a "extra cab" like this one I found on a Jeep Truck forum:

Ext.Cab-J10.jpg
Is that way-cool, or what!!!

ChrisO

Jeepin' since 1975
Time to start on bumpers. I wanted a tube bumper with a retro-80's look. Old school pre-runner.

CO-83J10-445.JPG

CO-83J10-449.JPG

However, I just had to have high-tech LED's !

CO-83J10-446.JPG

The rear bumper needed to be more functional, in that I needed to have a step in the center, and some protection for the glass fear fenders. Plus, I'm going to build a swing-out tire rack. So, 2" x 4" box tubing is the material used. Below are the mounting plates that bolt to the frame.

CO-83J10-454.JPG

CO-83J10-453.JPG

More to come soon...

D

Deleted member 12904

I really love this build! Please don't stop sharing progress.

ChrisO

Jeepin' since 1975
I didn't want the stock J-truck mirrors that hang way out (and are chrome, yuk!), so I got some XJ side mirrors and had to build mounts to install them on the doors.

CO-83J10-466.JPG

CO-83J10-471.JPG

CO-83J10-473.JPG

I used DayStar JK hood louvers to let some of the heat escape.

CO-83J10-480.JPG

And here is the "almost" finished project.

CO-83J10-491.jpg

I'm still working on the rear bumper/tire rack, side bars, and misc. stuff. I'll keep posting as it progresses.

CO-83J10-484.JPG

CO-83J10-490.jpg

And to think, three and a half years ago, it looked like this:

CO-83J10-03.JPG

Thanks for all the kind words, Keep on Jeepin'
Chris

Bart

Amazing build and really has me thinking about a build I shouldn't be thinking about. Thanks for sharing this.

ChrisO

Jeepin' since 1975
I have the rear bumper finished, and had been thinking about a swing-out tire rack for a while. I wanted the look of a race-truck / pre-runner with the tire hanging out the back, but needed bed access too. Here is what I came up with:

CO-83J10-500.JPG

CO-83J10-499.JPG

CO-83J10-497.JPG

Works great and no rattles! Now it goes to powder coating.