General Tech Honda 2.4L Engine Issue (Tensioner failed)

Brad J

Since I don't venture anywhere else I'll throw it out here since many of you are expert Mechanics or may have had the same issue. We inherited a 2005 Honda Accord 4 cylinder (167k) from my Parents 4 years ago. It was run low on oil and had a Rod knock noise after that. They were going to scrap/donate it so I asked them if we could have it and I'll get the engine rebuilt. It would then be our nicest/newest vehicle. As soon as I got it home I pulled and tore the engine apart. I didn't see anything obviously wrong with the bearings or anything else but I am no expert. I dropped it off at Metric Motors in Centerville for the rebuild. I picked up the Block a month later ($1,500 parts & labor). I installed the head, cams and everything else. Dropped it in and its been great. It's my wives car and she doesn't leave home much so we've only put 12k on it in 4 years.

Two weeks ago she started it next to me and I heard a bad rattling sound from the engine. She said "What noise" when asked how long has that been going on? It was immediately pulled from service. The rattle comes and goes but was constant at just above idle. It seemed like there was no sound heard with high RPM. I removed the Serpentine Belt to rule out Water pump or any other accessories but no change with the Sound. It sounded like it was coming from behind the timing cover. I started looking online and found Youtube videos of sounds from other 2.4's but none were identical. I found some forums about a VTC Actuator rattle on 2008 - 2012 2.4L's but it is only on startup but may cause Pistons and Valves to hit. I removed the Timing chain cover and found the gears stripped on my Tensioner.
IMG_2692.JPGIMG_2693.JPGIMG_2694.JPG
I got a replacement tensioner in and the engines all back together but have not added Oil since I am not sure that I have replaced the "real problem part". Since mine is a 2005 and not part of the recall I am not sure if I have the same VTC problem.

When I rebuilt the engine I planned to add 200k in the next 50 years and not have any issues. I am now nervous about making it to that point. Any idea what caused the failure? What would you do?

Thanks, Brad J

4x4_Welder

Did you replace the tensioner and chain when you rebuilt the engine? It looks like the tensioner is traveling a bit too far back, maybe not enough oil pressure or too much slack in the chain.

Brad J

Did you replace the tensioner and chain when you rebuilt the engine? It looks like the tensioner is traveling a bit too far back, maybe not enough oil pressure or too much slack in the chain.

Yes I ordered a new Timing set (DNJ TK227) and Oil Pump (DNJ OP228). Several of the threads mentioned that the VTC issue causes slack in the chain over time. This is the original Tensioner before the rebuild.
This is the new set that I put in during the rebuild 4 years ago
This is a couple weeks ago. I turned the engine backwards a little to take tension off of the tensioner for this pic. I then rolled it clockwise again to put tension on the chain, wrapped a wire around the chains before removing the tensioner so the chain wouldn't skip a tooth. I didn't see the teeth on the tensioner till it was removed.
I hope these help.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Sadly this is a common problem on the 2.4's. Our '14 CR-V had the VTC actuator and tensioner go bad just a few months out of the 5 year warranty. It hurt my feelings as I have owned a Honda since '05 and I hold the brand in high regard. Oh well...

Brad J

Sadly this is a common problem on the 2.4's. Our '14 CR-V had the VTC actuator and tensioner go bad just a few months out of the 5 year warranty. It hurt my feelings as I have owned a Honda since '05 and I hold the brand in high regard. Oh well...

Sorry to hear. Did you have it repaired or replace them yourself? I had the Dealer order the VTC Actuator for me but it is $281. Today I stopped by to talk with the Service Advisor at the Dealership but he said that he thinks that the timing chain is just stretched and wanted to give me a quotes on a "timing BELT replacement" so I don't have a lot of confidence in his opinion. I left the Dealership without the Actuator. I've looked at replacing the VTC Actuator and it doesn't look too bad. As long as I don't have to drop the pan again. I found some actuators on ebay for 1/2 the price for Honda brand that look like a cheaper option.

4x4_Welder

The VTC actuator is easy, I did one for a co worker last year. It took maybe an hour and a half. I did use the genuine Honda part, he was ok with the price.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I had the dealer do it cause we had already bought our Highlander and wanted to get the CR-V sold. I think it’s the first time I’ve paid to have work done on a vehicle that I realistically could’ve done myself. Oh well...