Honda CR80 project!

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Do you want to follow along as I build this ol’ girl? Figured you might haha.

I picked up this 1998 Honda CR80R for my daughter who’s 14 years old. Yeah I know it’s probably too much bike for her BUT it’ll be a fun project for us. I think she can handle it as she has a 4 wheeler now that she is good at riding. The whole clutch thing on the other hand… better late than never I suppose.

Anyway the thing is the definition of a basket case. The crank mains spun and left it for dead. The po took it apart and scattered parts everywhere. I’m going to attemp to put it back together and let my daughter ride it somewhere cool—like the badlands 😎

So far I’ve spent the last few hours cleaning it up with the kids. This is top five dirtiest bikes I’ve ever owned! Holy cow it’s a grease fest. Nothing a little dawn dish soap can’t handle lol.

CA5941A2-3B46-47B0-A759-C5307C22A991.jpeg92F27A42-723B-4705-B471-5AF6B768B2DE.jpeg529A6D72-70D5-42D8-8B63-B89D8BA35F03.jpeg

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Love it. I'm doing a 1995 CR250r so I love that vintage. Especially the white frame.
I use some appliance epoxy to repaint the frame the 2x automotive clear for very very hard finish.
I don't get much of a deal on OEM, but happy to pass a deal on to you for other parts.
I used a Wrench Rabbit kit the other day on YZ125 and was impressed with the quality.

Last edited:

Tonkaman

Yes, I love a good rebuild project!

Don’t worry, that CR80 won’t be too much for a 14 year old. Id gear it down a bit to help make the bottom end a bit more forgiving.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Thanks Gravy I’ll let you know on parts I need to work on getting a list together but that sounds great 😎

Tonkman, I need new chain and sprockets anyway probably be a good idea to gear it down a bit…. Maybe four more on the rear or something?

I’ve just been cleaning it up holy cow it was covered in grease! So it came with a nib wiseco crank but I’ve heard horror stories about them. The stock crank appears to be in good shape I might just reuse it instead of gambling with the wiseco. I’ll be sure to use Japanese main bearings regardless. Thoughts?

Also the top end has been sleeved. Not sure how I feel about it as I like a good plating from millennium. It needs a bore and piston kit. Thinking I’ll just have it bored to the next size and call it good…

I tried to put the transmission in it last night. Just going off memory I think I got it but I’ll probably buy a service manual just to make sure I didn’t misplace any thrust washers and such. Probably a good idea 😎

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Was finally able to get some work done on the Honda! Pressed in new main bearings they are Koyo so good stuff. Transmission is in just trying to decide on what to do with the crank.. do I reuse the used Honda crank that appears to be in good shape, do I gamble and run the new Wiseco crank or do I spend $160ish dollars and buy a new Honda crank? Hmm..

C16D3E83-7E3E-401A-958C-259DCBC93D03.jpeg63E20D23-506E-4D8B-8371-416B09E95E09.jpeg

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I've ran several Wiseco cranks in several 80cc and 125cc bikes from the 90's but that was 10+ years ago, maybe the quality was better then. I love the pinkish plastic from the mid 90's CR's. I had a 95' CR125 in 97' that was rad.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Thanks guys I think I’m gonna run the stock crank and hope for the best.

Part of me wanted to just put it back together and ride it but a friend came over and helped talk me into doing something about the frame. The paint is trashed…. Gonna do something about it 😎

Down to the bones—

FD097935-508A-4B9C-9F5E-70FE1CC8CFB0.jpeg39BFC524-B1E0-45F6-8F74-D4285BCB355C.jpeg

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Got the cases back together! I forgot the breather tube holder so I’m really hoping it can squeeze it in there and not have to split the cases again—doh!

For some reason the po took all the shifter components out and I have NO idea how it goes back together 😂 Either way it’s been fun to tinker with.

0E1C1451-9BB0-40BF-B01B-F06A28819C3C.jpegE7264DCB-4F3B-4022-8F57-F3282E62CC47.jpeg

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
So long story short I went to register the bike in my name today and the name on the title is not the same as the current owner 😭

I swear I have the worst luck with titles! Luckily I saved the contact info for the guy I bought the bike from and he was more than apologetic and gave me a bill of sale. I just had the vin verification form filled out by a police officer and he confirmed the bike is not stolen so that’s good. I need to fill out some more papers to apply for a new title but it’s anyones guess as to how well this will turn out.

I didn’t ask the guy for my money back not sure if I should or not. Either way I’m not going to sink a dime or time into it until I get the title in my name. Anyway poor me huh 😂

1969honda

Supporting Member
Nice work so far! Hopefully my rm60 cylinder shows up from plating today or tomorrow so I can get a similar project running before the holiday weekend.

I wouldn't stress to much if the vin check came back good and you have the bill of sale from the PO. Frustrating but should be good.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I don't know if the Idaho process is quite the same but vin inspection, 3 b&w photos from 3 angles, insufficient evidence of ownership form, bill of sale, explaination of ownership form, old title and gtg.

Orrrrrr a "new" bill of sale with the titled owner's name on it definitely made out by that owner and no one else.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I don't know if the Idaho process is quite the same but vin inspection, 3 b&w photos from 3 angles, insufficient evidence of ownership form, bill of sale, explaination of ownership form, old title and gtg.

Orrrrrr a "new" bill of sale with the titled owner's name on it definitely made out by that owner and no one else.

Oh I’m in Utah! Sounds like you’ve been through this before so thanks for the help!

If I knew who the current owner was I would definitely have him/her fill one out—and no one else haha. The DMV would not tell me who the current owner is—and the current owner is not the one who’s name is on the title which is weird. Oye headache I don’t need.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
If you have the title the bike a bill of sale and confirmed with the state that it's not stolen you should be fine. I've never once ran up against a situation where there's a lien or loan against the title if you have physical title possession