Hood vent

Omgbecki

Ok guys. Probably a dumb question. A local shop wants almost 600 for purchase and installation of a poison spider hood kit. I like reaching out to the home mechanics first because I like to help to little guy and they are usually willing to do the work without the shop premium. I know it is a VERY involved job and after watching hours of install videos I decided it is beyond my skill set and patience. 400 in labor is a big bite in my budget and I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to do the job for a little less. I'm not trying to get it done for a ridiculous cheap price but am wondering if anyone near ish the Ogden area would be willing to tackle the job. I know a lot of people are busy trying to get their rides ready for EJS. Am I asking too much??

str8axleguy

Lots of cuts and hole sawing. May actually look better with black primer underneath instead of seeing the hood color through the louvers

pkrfctr

I did one on my LJ, wasn't bad at all. Looked awesome from the top, mediocre from underneath but who looks at the bottom side of a hood? If I remember right it didn't take much time and wasn't bad to do. they send a template that you tape to the hood and then start cutting, paint the edge for rust control and throw the new piece on.

Moab mark

I did one on a scrambler a few years ago and as I recall it was a very simple process.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190114-185440_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190114-185440_Gallery.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 19

str8axleguy

I think after watching the install video again it looks pretty straight forward. Worst part is cutting up a good hood. If I still had a shop or even a garage I’d tackle it for ya, but in my current place I don’t even have a carport.

Omgbecki

Did you ever find anyone to help you out with this?
I'm in West Jordan so not very close.. but I'd be willing to help you out if we can figure out the logistics.

I did have a couple people reach out to me but had so other issues come up so kinda put this on the back burner while I figure out my next move. Thanks

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
I did one on my TJ a few years back, seems like a bigger job than it really is, get some good blades, double check everything before you start cutting and get after it :) I would definitely not pay someone $600 to do it, if you can run a jigsaw with a metal blade you can save yourself some cash.
Best of luck to you.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I have been eyeing one for my cj for years. Any thoughts about how much it helps with cooling? Worth doing?