Hoosier's Jeep XJ (Yes another XJ build)

hoosier

mtn yot
Ok so I am going to go ahead and do a build thread. If you don't know this kinda started under the thread Cherokee help. http://www.rme4x4.com/forumdisplay.php?13-General-4x4-Discussion Yes I know ANOTHER XJ build. Well this is my first Jeep. I picked up this XJ in a trade for my suburban that I could not just keep chasing issues. So after I got it home it had 4 spares on it. So with some help from another RMEer I picked up a set of old school bias ply mudders and a nice set of rims. I am a machinist for a living and I have built my sub frame connectors, integrated rock sliders and I will be doing a simi-boat side once I get the rock sliders and sub frame connectors. I am also designing a set of bumpers that I build at work. So I quickly started beating it just to see what I could get to break. It came with a long arm 5" kit (found out it is an older one that I have to redesign to work right). I quickly found out that this thing had NO flex. I am going to disconnect the sway bars to see if it helps. I have decided to purchase a set of newer XJ axle and build them up and swap them out to keep down time at a minimum. Gears front and rear, selectable locker front lunch box locker rear, upgraded shafts and joints with cross over steering. So like I said this is my first jeep and I know NOTHING about jeeps. So any sugestions or comments are welcomed and encouraged.

When I got it home

CAM00257_zps3e648b9d.jpg

after I got the wheels and tires on it

CAM00279_zps3059d18f.jpgCAM00278_zpscc356061.jpg

received a little help from my little buddy

CAM00280_zpsc68aa203.jpg

When I found out it had NO flex

CAM00300_zpsed994ef2.jpgCAM00301_zps8394d976.jpg

After beating the Holly H311 out of it and jumping it with no breakage.

CAM00312_zps0b70d899.jpg

Things to do:

-) redo the upper suspention to get rid of the stock upper links.

-) Install frame stiffners

-) install intergrsted rock sliders

-) design, build and install mini boat sides

-) decide what to do with the axles
-) stay with stock axles and build them with lockers and gears, gussets, upgraded breaks
-) get a set of waggy axles and build them
-) sell the 44 rear to help offset this cost
-) run it till it blows and start over

-) install bump stops

-) new tires 33/35

-) ect...

Attachments

• CAM00313_zps9fea55d5.jpg
    CAM00313_zps9fea55d5.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

hoosier

mtn yot
First off I want to thank all that have helped me on the research. I am going to be going to pull apart next Wednesday (assuming I have money) to pick up a stock set of axles. this weekend I will be installing the integrated sliders and sub-frame connectors. (pics to come) I am in the process of building a box in the rear. I am also looking at picking up some front seats and a new seat belt from one of the amazing RMEers. hoping to get this thing out soon.

hoosier

mtn yot
So thanks to phatfoto I picked up a stock 30 housing.
CAM00363_zps5f5973b4.jpgCAM00364_zps826e00b5.jpg

As you can see it spent so time in the blast cabinet today, cleaned up nice. So the plan for now is gussets, selectable locker (unknown what one yet), 4.88 gears (I think with 33s), and 03/04 GC spindles with upgraded breaks.

CAM00365_zps3914515d.jpg
It has hit some stuff a few times but I will be building a home made diff cover.

CAM00366_zps0f12d1ac.jpgCAM00367_zpsf7c70858.jpgCAM00368_zps0912836d.jpg

I don't know if this is how all stock brackets look but I think I am going to rebuild the mounts is 1/4 plate. Is there any reason I should change the mounts or should I just redo them stock but with 1/4" plate. ( I am going to build my own Y-links)

CAM00369_zps23c7d9f7.jpgCAM00370_zpsf428c600.jpgCAM00371_zps13a4063a.jpgCAM00372_zps6b1abf96.jpg

I was able to get the front sway bar disconnected. the flex is better but the rear is still connected so I will try to get that off tomorrow. Also I found out that my rear axle is a 44. So I will be looking into getting gears and a lunch box locker for the rear. What if anything am I missing as far as the axles go? Also what steering should I be looking at? I have seen a few different styles and every style has people saying they are the best.