House Hunt/Future Projects Thread

Coco

Yes, this guy is hunting for a house in Lehi! Becoming a man, growing up, entering adulthood, and all that jazz.... This thread is kind of going to be to archive house stuff, ask questions, get thoughts, and just some good information on how to's, and what to expect, and good info from the community (and I am sick of hearing about Coronavirus, so something else to talk about and plan will be nice.)

So some may not know, but I proposed to my fiance back in February while we were in Sand Hollow (she said yes haha). We have been looking for a house together since then. We have found several we like, and started the wonderful war on trying to put in competitive offers without over spending. Boy isn't this a fun game for a first time home buyer!

All the houses we have been looking at that are in our budget, will need some loving touches and work, which we are both excited to do, and planning for.

Aside from that, we plan to do some tasteful upgrades like the barnyard/pallet walls in a room or two, new flooring/carpet, lights (where needed) and eventually other remodels. This will obviously come in time as we are not wealthy by any means.

Please feel free to post house projects you have done, any advise on projects, or just anything you think would be helpful to the ongoing project and hunt. I don't see an end to this thread, but just thought it would be fun to have.

Thanks for looking :D

Tonkaman

My only advise is don’t get bogged down in making a new home into a project. It’s funny how many things seem like a necessary fix at the beginning, but 5 years later they still aren’t done and not really a high priority.

overlook the simple things like paint/carpet colors, it’s pretty cheap to change up a room

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Good luck on the shopping. Now is a good time to buy.. if you can find what you want.
You will not find perfect, but make sure you get what you want most. Like Derek said, carpet and paint are easy, and will be changed many times over the life of a house. Even larger items like cabinets, counter tops, appliances aren't too bad. However garage count, usable lot space, non North facing driveway, etc are things that are very difficult to change.
Also, don't go over paying, but don't lose a great house over $5,000 or even $10,000. That amount will make little difference in your payment, and may be the difference in getting the right house, or being outbid.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Garage space and/or ability to expand it, single floor living, neighborhood have been our driving factors. You’re a wee bit younger but I’d try to find something that’s one level for when you’re older. We are just moving into our 5th house and I think it’s pretty stupid how much we’ve paid in realtor fees, appraisals, refinance charges and other moving expenses through the years. For a first house you might need to find something that will work and use it as the equity builder that it can be. Then you move on to a “final” home?

Coco

Ok, long overdue update on this. We put in an offer on a house in Lehi, and it was accepted!

After the inspection they found that the roof was at the end of its life, the plumbing was the PB stuff that was known to fail without warning, the AC unit was not functioning at 100%, and a couple other odds and ends that we did know about.

After talking with the seller, he agreed to take care of the roof, and plumbing, and we will take care of the AC unit ourselves (so we will be looking for anyone that may have an RME hookup if they do it, PM me! :D).

Obviously our due diligence has been extended a couple times now, but everything should be good to go, and we should be able to close on the 27th (originally 22nd).

I have been collecting some things for a couple future projects, and obviously have more in the works future plans. More details to come once everything is officially official.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Colton, congrats on the upcoming marriage, the new home and the new life together.

Buying a house is a big step in creating that life and I wish you and your future wife the very best.

You have already gotten some good advice. When we bought our first home in 1991 we went in with the attitude that this would be our ONLY home and we would die there. I think that was a bit naïve on my part. Keep an open mind for resale even if not in the immediate future. When you do upgrades or modification to the home don't do weird or off the wall alterations that may make it hard to sell later. Think about the future potential market. That may not be what you want to hear but it will save you headache and ease resale down the road. We saw so many homes that even in a sellers market sat on the market and sat on the market because of weird floor plans or designs that the owners built into the homes.

I would also echo the comment about keeping the note term short. We had originally went with a 30-year mortgage but we didn't know any better. We paid our first home off in exactly 15 years by making extra payments to the principal. When we bought our current home we were certain we wanted it paid off before retirement and went with a 15 year loan and are still making extra principal payments to get it paid down as quickly as possible. If you want to scare the hell out of yourself, run an amortization report some day on exactly how much interest and how much you will pay for the house IF you make the minimum payments and run the complete length of the loan.

My only advise is don’t get bogged down in making a new home into a project. It’s funny how many things seem like a necessary fix at the beginning, but 5 years later they still aren’t done and not really a high priority.

overlook the simple things like paint/carpet colors, it’s pretty cheap to change up a room

Tonkaman, I wish I could have done that but from day one when we took possession of our new home in Dec. of 2016 I could NOT relax or even focus on anything else until we had rid the home of anything the previous owners had touched and I had the house, yard, shop and everything else exactly to my liking. That was a long, long 8 months of work and relentless labor. By August 2017 I finally felt as though I had eradicated the original owner's half-assed work and had the home I had envisioned. That was 8-months of hell with no vacations or breaks until it was what I felt like, mine and done the way I wanted it.

Best of luck in the new adventure Colton.

Mike

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
......Tonkaman, I wish I could have done that but from day one when we took possession of our new home in Dec. of 2016 I could NOT relax or even focus on anything else until we had rid the home of anything the previous owners had touched and I had the house, yard, shop and everything else exactly to my liking. That was a long, long 8 months of work and relentless labor. By August 2017 I finally felt as though I had eradicated the original owner's half-assed work and had the home I had envisioned. That was 8-months of hell with no vacations or breaks until it was what I felt like, mine and done the way I wanted it.

Best of luck in the new adventure Colton.

Mike

I can see that. Looking at my project list on my recently complted house is pretty daunting. I only have myself to blame as the house we left was in pretty good shape and I liked the mortgage payment :D

Coco

Thank you everyone! We went with a 30 year conventional loan, but plan to pay extra here and there.

The plumbing is all done, and the roof should be done within the next couple of days. Our realtor is having the drywall repairs for us, then we will paint when we close. Still looks like the 27th (fingers crossed that this stays this way!)

Someone in the neighborhood or a company has been mowing the front yard, but the backyard was a foot tall in places. I couldn't stand the thought of it being even taller when we closed. I asked our realtor to see if we could get special permission to mow the grass. I had planned to mow the front yard too, but the backyard filled the entire waste can! So, that was neat. Took about 1-1/2 hours, and I put the new Toro Personal Pace at the very top setting. Also would have loved to lower the blade more, but I am just grateful I was able to mow it down! I also cleared a bunch of small twigs and branches from the yard. It was like having my own personal Easter egg hunt, but without the excitement of candy or money ... #adulting.

Attachments

• IMG-1768.JPG
    IMG-1768.JPG
    672.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG-1769.JPG
    IMG-1769.JPG
    716.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG-1770.JPG
    IMG-1770.JPG
    648 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG-1771.JPG
    IMG-1771.JPG
    623.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG-1772.JPG
    IMG-1772.JPG
    688.9 KB · Views: 45

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Thank you everyone! We went with a 30 year conventional loan, but plan to pay extra here and there.

The plumbing is all done, and the roof should be done within the next couple of days. Our realtor is having the drywall repairs for us, then we will paint when we close. Still looks like the 27th (fingers crossed that this stays this way!)

Someone in the neighborhood or a company has been mowing the front yard, but the backyard was a foot tall in places. I couldn't stand the thought of it being even taller when we closed. I asked our realtor to see if we could get special permission to mow the grass. I had planned to mow the front yard too, but the backyard filled the entire waste can! So, that was neat. Took about 1-1/2 hours, and I put the new Toro Personal Pace at the very top setting. Also would have loved to lower the blade more, but I am just grateful I was able to mow it down! I also cleared a bunch of small twigs and branches from the yard. It was like having my own personal Easter egg hunt, but without the excitement of candy or money ... #adulting.
So, which corner of the yard will the shop be in?:p

I'm still curious how they mitigate the lead plumbing...

Oh, and in that pic with your leg(?) showing... are you in pain? I honestly can't tell what's going on there.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I think you’re mistaken. Since they haven’t used lead (PB) in plumbing since the 40’s, and I’ve only seen it once on drain piping, I think he meant Polybutylene.

Oh, and in that pic with your leg(?) showing... are you in pain? I honestly can't tell what's going on there.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
You oriental types are always showing off your superior chemistry knowledge! 🙂 It’s almost always the clamps that fail on that type of system, I’m curious what Skippy has to say about the repairs as well. It would be awesome if they replaced all of the piping!

Ah. Still curious what they did though...

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
You oriental types are always showing off your superior chemistry knowledge! 🙂 It’s almost always the clamps that fail on that type of system, I’m curious what Skippy has to say about the repairs as well. It would be awesome if they replaced all of the piping!

Why would @skippy know anything about @Coco 's repairs?

Coco

Haha, in the garage! I was attempting to show the length of the grass, clearly it was a poor attempt.

I think you’re mistaken. Since they haven’t used lead (PB) in plumbing since the 40’s, and I’ve only seen it once on drain piping, I think he meant Polybutylene.

Yes, that stuff.
When you're @BCGPER 's age, all kids look the same...

But, it doesn't appear that @Coco plans on answering me anytime soon anyways... Maybe He and @skippy are the same person? They treat "build" threads about the same.:cody:

Answered haha

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Haha, in the garage! I was attempting to show the length of the grass, clearly it was a poor attempt.

Yes, that stuff.

Answered haha
Cool story bro, but you still didn't answer the question. :cody: What did they do about your plumbing? I get that it was the polybutylene stuff- did they yank it all out and replace it with pex or something?

And what's your garage/shop situation? From your reply, I assume there is a garage?

Coco

Cool story bro, but you still didn't answer the question. :cody: What did they do about your plumbing? I get that it was the polybutylene stuff- did they yank it all out and replace it with pex or something?

And what's your garage/shop situation? From your reply, I assume there is a garage?
Haha I suck. Yeah they yanked it all out and did pex, and patched the walls. Yes, it has a 2 car garage, its a bit deeper than normal, or at least seems like it to me, so it is nice.