How big is your onboard air tank?

Kevin B.

Big hippy
20210613_125609.jpg

I've had this thing kicking around for I don't know how long. Might be 4 or 5 gallons? Would mounting this make any appreciable difference in air-up times?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
For as long as the additional pressure @ volume lasts, yes it will help. (like, the first tire probably...) Once you're down to where the compressor is filling (as opposed to stored pressure), no real difference at that point.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Once you're down to where the compressor is filling (as opposed to stored pressure), no real difference at that point.
Which is probably not going to take long, is it? I dunno the volume of a 35x12.5r17, but even at just 50 PSI vs 150 that's gotta be so much more air than that little tank can hold that I can't imagine it doing more than taking a couple seconds off the fill time of the first tire.

Already stated, but not going to help that needs lots of air over time, like filling tires or using a die grinder. It would help out with bursts of air, like air hammer, impact wrench, etc.

DAA

The LJ has a small tank, can't remember, 1 or maybe 1-1/2 gallon? Something like that.

Doesn't make any difference in tire fill times. Does let the compressor just run while moving between tires, or whatever, without tripping the pressure switch or dead heading. Does give a one time whoosh, which has been useful only a couple of times. Once for an air hammer to knock a busted TRE stud out, once seating a bead with a ratchet strap.

Over all, I'm glad the tank is there though. It doesn't eat anything. And provides some benefit.

- DAA

XJEEPER

I've run a Viair 450C (150psi/100% duty cycle) compressor with a 2.5gal tank for 13yrs and it's served me well, but the tank capacity only shaves time off of the first tire top-off. The remaining 3 tires rely solely on the compressor. Nice to have air stored so that the activation of my ARB's don't require the compressor to run.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
That's awesome output. However my experience with Smuttybilt- it'll work right until it breaks on the anniversary of the warranty LoL

I think mine is rated at 6 or 7 at 1800 rpm.
Bump the throttle and you get a few more.

Last edited:

Trate D

I have a York setup in my Jeep with a 5 gallon tank and love it. I also have the smittybilt 5.65 cfm 12 volt unit for the wife’s rig. The smittybilt is super fast. I am very impressed with it.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I have a York setup in my Jeep with a 5 gallon tank and love it. I also have the smittybilt 5.65 cfm 12 volt unit for the wife’s rig. The smittybilt is super fast. I am very impressed with it.
Has it lasted past the warranty?