How do I start?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I would like to jump right in to this hobby. Mostly it would be just around the house kind of stuff, but I think it would be fun to do these comps I see posted up on here. So give me the basic run down of what I need. Do you have a set up that ready to play with that you want to sale me? I want a Jeep bodied rig, that's number one.

Let me know what you have, or any advise on how to get started. I could dump $3-400 into it if need be.

DerekM

formerly dirk124
I would say get the axial wraith either in a kit or used on KSL. Everyone that I have talked to that doesn't have a wraith, wishes they had one. There is a Jeep body available, but its kind of a tube buggy type thing. There are tons of aftermarket parts for it too.

sixstringsteve

you're going to find that $3-400 if the bare minimum to even get a running car. I started this hobby, then I ended up spending more money on my RC crawler than on my actual rig. Watch out, it's addictive!

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
It depends on what you want. I think most the fun is in building the kits. You should head over to rccrawler.com and do some research.

Caleb

If you're serious, I've been thinking about selling my crawler. I never use. I bought it, dumped a ton of money in to it and have hardly played with it. I have an Axial AX10, I've dumped probably $700 (probably more) in to it. I'd have to dig everything out, but IIRC, I have three sets of beadlocks, one being the Titans with wheel weights, a castle programmer, several LiPo batteries (most have never even been charged or used), a LiPo charger, upgraded links, upgraded shocks, etc (I know there's more, cant think of what right now). If you're interested, I'd let it all go for $400. It's super fun, but I've found I don't have the motivation to get out and use it. I thought I would use it when I went camping, but then proceeded to forget to grab it every time we went. I'll post a couple pics that I took a while back.

Caleb

Here's a few I took when I changed out the tires, it's now on a different set, It's currently running the Proline Titan wheels (with wheel weights) and Hotbodies Sedona Tires. These pictures are comparing the stock tires to the tires that come stock on the Wraith. (All three sets of tires and wheels are included) I also forgot to mention I've upgraded the steering servo, knuckles, etc so it can now steer no problem.

DSC_3840.jpgDSC_3836.jpgDSC_3832.jpg

The next upgrade I'll do if I keep it is upgrade the electronics. Right now it has the stock stuff, which is fine but upgrading (IMO) is the natural progression of RC upgrades :D

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Caleb, that one looks real nice. Would this one be competitive in a comp the way it sits? Or is it more of a living room toy?

Caleb

Not sure if it would be competitive, I've never seen a competition but it's much more than just a living room toy. It would be more competitive than a stock Wraith I would imagine. This is more of a crawler than the Wraith is.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Sounds good. Let me sleep on it tonight, but I think I'll take it off your hands. Thanks.

Caleb

I just pulled it out to get better pictures and to figure out what parts I have and for some reason, the throttle is intermittent. No clue what it is at this point (it worked perfectly last time I used it), but I'll knock the price down to $350 as-is.

Here's what's included:
3 sets of tires and beadlocks.
- 1 set of hot bodies white dot Sedonas on a set of Proline Titans (with wheel weights)
- 1 set of Ripsaw tires (these are what come on the Wraith) on a set of Axial beadlocks (similar to stock, but different design and grey rings)
- 1 set of stock tires on stock beadlocks
2 sets of shocks (4 per set)
- 1 set of "air" shocks
- 1 set of stock shocks that use oil
4 LiPo batteries
1 Onyx 235 LiPo charge (pretty nice charger)
2 steering boxes
- 1 stock steering box
- 1 Savox SC-1256TG (great box, no problems turning the wheels now)
Upgraded Bent Aluminum Links and ends (nothing plastic is left)
In-boarded the links and shocks for better turning and nothing to snag on the rocks
Upgraded steering arm (Racer's Edge Aluminum Pro adjustable Servo horn)
Upgraded knuckles (ST Racing Precision aluminum knuckles)
Upgraded Hub Carriers (ST Racing Precision CNC Hub Carriers)
Castle BEC
Castle Field Programmer
TONS of misc nuts, bolts, screws, spacers, etc.

I'll included everything in the below pictures except for my tools (tool box is included)

IMG_0253.jpgIMG_0260.jpgIMG_0259.jpgIMG_0258.jpgIMG_0257.jpgIMG_0251.jpgIMG_0256.jpgIMG_0255.jpgIMG_0252.jpgIMG_0261.jpg

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I have a built AX10 I'd be willing to sell too if your interested.

IMG_1186.jpg

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
The Mrs put a halt on this until after we get back from Hawaii in a few weeks. She needs to make sure she has plenty of play money.