How do you vacation...

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Thanks for all the feedback and information, everyone! Lots of great suggestions and ideas... I'll try to respond to individual comments in a bit.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I enjoy seeing the places off of the beaten path...which usually means driving. We drove from Split, Croatia up the cost of Croatia all the way to Venice, then over the Dolomites into Munich. It was awesome. Renting a motorcycle to do that croatian drive would be AMAZING. If you took like 10-14 days, you could drive all the way around to Rome, which was a place I'd really like to spend more time.

I like relaxing beach vacations sometimes, but my limit to sitting around doing nothing is really about 1.5 days. Then I get stir crazy and need to do something. I think at this point me and my prettier half will alternate vacations...one year on some sort of beach and one year on some sort of non beach (I'm really into european history and continental beers).

I did a cruise once...it was like $350 for the week and it was as good deal but it's definitely a racket. They get you for everything and it just wasn't for me. I'd like to do one of those Alaskan cruises one day...and maybe the Panama canal, but other than that I just can't stay cooped op for that long with a couple thousand other people.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So we ended up booking our Summer vacation, to Tulum! We're going to explore the Yucatan Peninsula, Chichén Itzá and the Mayan ruins!

We went thru Orbitz, booked the room and flights together... their website had plenty of reviews of the hotels and we choose a great one, small but on the coast and in a quiet location out of town, Adults only, very well rated with an excellent restaurant. We're incredibly excited, have been wanting to get to the Yucatan Peninsula for a long time!

Caleb

Nice! Should be a fun trip. We’ve actually been in Maui since last week and we head home on Thursday of this week.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
How was it? Do you want to go back?

It was great, definitely needed the time to relax, and saw a lot of beautiful views. I love the ocean and I keep falling more and more in love with it. I really feel like the 2nd half of my life is going to be spent living in an ocean-town.

As far as Jamaica, and this trip, goes.. I didn't feel like I got to feel the real soul of Jamaica.. we stayed in a massive resort (Bahia Principe) and it literally felt like being on a cruise ship but on land... the resort was basically like it's own little city and other than a few scheduled excursions we didn't really leave the resort. I'd like to go back to Jamaica again sometime but I'd do it differently.

I know for a lot of people that the resort life is for them, but personally I would have liked to see more of what makes Jamaica, Jamaica, and not the dolled up fairytale land for tourists.

GPTempDownload.jpg

^ This was our resort, its all one interconnected building... it keeps extending past the right of the picture. This was on a little boat we chartered to take us to a "good local snorkeling spot" and they definitely delivered! I'll have to pull the videos off my GoPro and post up some still shots.

*during our snorkeling I saw a few firsts-in-the-wild for me, including a manta ray, a few pufferfish, a few eels, about 4 different lionfish, and some trumpetfish. We also did an excursion where we interacted with de-barbed stingrays, and nurse sharks. I'll never forget those memories.

Last edited:

Caleb

I know for a lot of people that the resort life is for them, but personally I would have liked to see more of what makes Jamaica, Jamaica, and not the dolled up fairytale land for tourists.

I get what you’re saying on the resort life. This a big reason we don’t usually stay at a resort but instead rent a house or condo where ever we go. We’ve done the resort thing many times but always have a better time not staying at a resort.

A small one like Greg is planning probably won’t be bad and should still give a feeling of being there instead of a disconnected resort. We stayed at a small resort (probably 10-12 rooms total) in the jungles of Costa Rica when we went there and really enjoyed that.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I like airbnb's and minimalist packing.
Last year we spent 16 days with our 2 kids and just two backpacks and a stroller in Denmark and Germany.
We stayed at 14 different locations and mostly used public transportation; we only rented cars for 2 days. They have a great train system there.
Airbnb's made it affordable for us and we got to see lots of the cities we stayed in instead of checking in and out at hotels.
Many of our stays even have a washer (dryers were uncommon in most of Germany).
The German side of the Alps were my favorite!

Last year we spent something like 50+ days away from home and minimalist packing made most of it enjoyable.