How does your off-road trailer tow? Affect power/mileage? Specifically 3.8L JKU....

pELYgroso

'Merica
Hey all, quick question for those of you who have pulled an off-road trailer. I have an '09 JKU on 37's w/ 5.38's. It actually does great on the freeway. I can cruise between 65 and 80 from here to St. George or Moab and get 16-17.5 mpg's.

My question is how much would an 800-900 lb. off-road trailer affect power. I don't expect the same performance, but will it be hell to pull it anywhere? I've gone back and forth between this and an RTT and I like the ability to unhook and leave camp at camp.

Another question for those who have used both....Obviously you're dragging an anchor around if taking the trailer through a trail, but would you prefer it to a top-heavy RTT in off-camber trail situations? Does a trailer severely limit wheeling abilities more than an RTT would?

I'm thinking of selling our 28' camper and SXS this year to get a boat but I'd like to have a decent camping option, thus the thought of the trailer. It would allow for more gear and potentially a better sleeping arrangement. Also easier to hook-up and go with either the truck or jeep instead of having to switch over an RTT from one to the other.

Thanks in advance!

dutchman

KI7KSV
I don't have any experience with the JKU, so take my comments with that in mind.

I've got a little "tear-drop" style trailer (seen my avatar) and it had more of an affect on my Tacoma that I thought it would. It's about 4.5 ft wide and probably 11ish ft long including the tongue and probably weights 750ish pounds. I've made the trip from Boise to SLC a couple of times with and w/o the trailer. I could set cruise at 72-75 mph w/o the trailer and get 16-17 mpgs. With the trailer at the same speed it'd be 13.5-15 mpg and the trans would downshift quite a bit more.

I've considered, but never used a RTT and can't answer how it would perform in tight, off-camber trails. I really enjoy camping with the trailer, especially if my wife or daughter are with me. It's like taking a bedroom with you, easy to set up, store gear and disconnect to go exploring for the day. For solo trips I don't take it along as often and just throw a tent in the back of the truck.

If you do plan on taking it on trails, make sure you get a max coupler hitch. It's worth it.

Tonkaman

I don't have any experience with the JKU, so take my comments with that in mind.

I've got a little "tear-drop" style trailer (seen my avatar) and it had more of an affect on my Tacoma that I thought it would. It's about 4.5 ft wide and probably 11ish ft long including the tongue and probably weights 750ish pounds. I've made the trip from Boise to SLC a couple of times with and w/o the trailer. I could set cruise at 72-75 mph w/o the trailer and get 16-17 mpgs. With the trailer at the same speed it'd be 13.5-15 mpg and the trans would downshift quite a bit more.

I've considered, but never used a RTT and can't answer how it would perform in tight, off-camber trails. I really enjoy camping with the trailer, especially if my wife or daughter are with me. It's like taking a bedroom with you, easy to set up, store gear and disconnect to go exploring for the day. For solo trips I don't take it along as often and just throw a tent in the back of the truck.

If you do plan on taking it on trails, make sure you get a max coupler hitch. It's worth it.

I have a Tacoma as well and it absolutely sucks to tow anything with. I would doubt its comparable to the Jeep.

I have had my RTT on two different Tacoma’s and you can definitely feel it up there rocking the truck around. I’d put it on a trailer if I was considering that option.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I don't really feel my little trailer that Carl built when I've pulled it behind my JK. I had it loaded up with a bunch of tools, a generator, and a 200lbs length of pipe.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I pulled a little off-road trailer around behind my 3.8 liter JKU with 37” tires and 5.38s. It was great and didn’t bother me much. Come check out my trailer and give it a tow, that will tell you what you need to know.

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor
I have a 3.6 JKU but I can tell you that I still cruise at 75mph on the highway and only drop about 1mpg with the trailer. On very rugged trails the hardest part is remembering its back there when you make climbs and drops. Mentally Im so used to easing down the front, then the rear and moving on from the obstacle...sometimes launching the trailer off a big drop. OOPS.

Trailer vs RTT... I generally dont have to take the trailer on difficult trails since I can drop it and all that extra weight before hand. I helped spot a JKU with a big rack and RTT through Metal Masher over the weekend and I can say it made some of the side hills quite interesting. I was very happy to not have a jeep loaded with camping gear.

pELYgroso

'Merica
I have a 3.6 JKU but I can tell you that I still cruise at 75mph on the highway and only drop about 1mpg with the trailer. On very rugged trails the hardest part is remembering its back there when you make climbs and drops. Mentally Im so used to easing down the front, then the rear and moving on from the obstacle...sometimes launching the trailer off a big drop. OOPS.

Trailer vs RTT... I generally dont have to take the trailer on difficult trails since I can drop it and all that extra weight before hand. I helped spot a JKU with a big rack and RTT through Metal Masher over the weekend and I can say it made some of the side hills quite interesting. I was very happy to not have a jeep loaded with camping gear.
Awesome, good to know! How much does your trailer weight when it's loaded down? Any idea?

I did just pick up a little trailer but I'll start a "build thread" tonight when I've taken some pics of the trailer. :cool:

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor
Awesome, good to know! How much does your trailer weight when it's loaded down? Any idea?

I did just pick up a little trailer but I'll start a "build thread" tonight when I've taken some pics of the trailer. :cool:

I've run trailers from about 700lbs to 1800lbs. Usually wind resistance is the biggest killer. The jeeps are bricks anyway so towing a brick doesnt help matters.