How often do you wheel ?

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I get out to somewhere that 4WD is useful at least once a month, but I haven't done any proper wheeling in years. Somewhere down the road I'll have the time and space for a dedicated wheeling project again, but for now the mountain bike is scratching that itch and I don't see me putting that hobby down ever, so...

Pike2350

I've sucked at wheeling the last few years. I average about 2-3x a year is all. Between house projects, having no immediate friends that wheel it's just harder to get out. My 16 month old hasn't made it any easier either....nor has my broken axle shaft from my last trip to 5 mile....over a month ago

zukijames

I get out to somewhere that 4WD is useful at least once a month, but I haven't done any proper wheeling in years. Somewhere down the road I'll have the time and space for a dedicated wheeling project again, but for now the mountain bike is scratching that itch and I don't see me putting that hobby down ever, so...
My wheeling more often has resulted in only riding my dirt bike once this year. 2 days in Moab and the next day I wheeled Prichett in my geo.. last year I was in my dirtbike almost every weekend and hardly wheeled.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Lets see, there is another thread with wheeling goals that has better details.

UEA-Moab- Won't do that again...
Thanksgiving '18- Moab
Jan- Winter 4x4 Jamboree St. George
May-Moab
June-Price

2018 was better but 5-6 trips in 2019 make it seem like an expensive rarely used hobby...

DAA

I make 25-30 trips a year on dirt. But only wheel just to wheel a few times a year. In Moab now and have been wheeling for a couple days though. Headed home today.

A stock JL is a hoot to wheel in. Not going to run anything hard in it but even top of the world is a blast in a stock rig.

- DAA

Attachments

• FCD0013B-FAA0-4030-9315-2FF01CADA51D.jpeg
    FCD0013B-FAA0-4030-9315-2FF01CADA51D.jpeg
    468.9 KB · Views: 22

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
How often do I wheel? NOT NEARLY ENOUGH!!!!:D

Prior to 2016 we were out at least twice a month and attended 3-4 week long rallies a year, it was great. In 2016 we decided to move and turned my life upside down for 2016 and in 2017 I spent most of the year building my new shop and putting in my yard. Last year, 2018, it was nearly back to normal with wheeling at least once a month, sometimes twice and we attended three week long Jeep rallies with our RV club. This year has started out very slow with only one wheeling trip to Moab in April so far. Now that our son's wedding is over we have three week long rallies that we are looking forward to attending over the next several months.

Hopefully over the winter we can get my son's WJ completed so next year he and his wife can do more wheeling with my wife and I.

Mike

gatchmo5710

My cherokees in dirt and 4wd about every 3-5 days.... but actually a wheeling trip?? once a month.

The trick is to have Labradors that require extensive exercise. Virgin river during summer, Utah hill during winter.

RockChucker

Not often enough. Family priorities have limited getting out the last couple years. I haven't been out to 5 mile for at least 18 months and haven't (probably won't: too many booger eaters) go up AF canyon this year.

AaronPaige

My tj isn’t really highway worthy, so every time I drive it I feel like I’m wheeling... but I have only got the buggy out once this year and 2-3 times last year, same excuses as everyone else, to many other hobbies, new houses and young family make it tough. I hope to make Moab in October!!!

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Two rec-wheeling trips to Moab this spring and competitions in March, April, May, July, August and September.

While a part of me misses the days of rec wheeling super often, a bigger part of me LOVES competing more than rec wheeling... so there's that.

Medsker

2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I try to at least touch dirt every week (it helps when you're retired). Today I went on a run to the west of Utah lake to take pictures of the spiders (thousands of Orb weavers). I try to go on what I would call a planned outing once a month. Sometimes it is simple like Rattlesnake (this week) or last month it was the Pony Express Trail to Wendover and a day trip to Moab. I would probably do more long trips but gas is expensive.

Houndoc

I have really only had two good outings so far this year.

March in Moab with Hickey and company (Hell's Revenge and Top of the World) and some exploring in April west of St George. Only one random side road really even counted as off-roading, but it was a fun little road.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I don't wheel enough at all. Really rethinking selling the trail Jeep and getting an LJ or nicer built TJ? Then I can justify it as a daily driver type rig. I had this with the JKU and let it go after deciding to keep it. The past is the past and I don't really miss that rig but it's almost the same as having an LJ or built TJ. I feel like I'm going in circles if I snag one of those.

pkrfctr

lets see for the last two years I've been fighting a nail thats trying to kill me, so not nearly enough but managed a few trips between surgeries.
Vernal last weekend
Price in June -cut short due to a sidewall tear
Moab in May - scenic dirt roads- couldnt handle anything rough.
Massive surgery in Feb
Winter Jamboree in Jan
Christmas tree run in December

joez

Not nearly enough, but for me anything good is a 5+ hour drive. Generally get out for one 10 day trip per year, and 6 long weekends. Seems like a waste at times to have my built 80 series, but I do drive it to work periodically.