How to: attach jeep to trailer?

LT.

I don't like the crossed chains, it can allow the vehicle to lean too much. I see it a lot though.

Agreed. The other thing that I really did not like was the chains just to the bumper. I guess we all have ideas and they are all worth listening to. What may work for one may not work for others.

LT.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
This is how to secure your rig, big or small it works for all:D. It is by far the best way to go. Chains are the key to having a safe trip. View attachment 70200View attachment 70201

I don't like the crossed chains, it can allow the vehicle to lean too much. I see it a lot though.

I'm not a fan of tieing down to the bumper. Get to much "bounce" on the highway letting the chains loosen/tighten a LOT of cycles. I like "splayed" chains rather than crossed.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I'm getting lazy in my old age, and just quit bothering to tie mine down at all. I must say, my trips are far more enjoyable now.

I still prefer chains over nylon though.. :D

(was that too sexy for RME?)

RubberNeckin

I get NO bounce or roll on the hwy or on dirt roads. It preloads the suspension and stops the side to side motion. It works on the crawler and it worked for the Silver Bullet. There are many way to tie down a load, but not all of them are correct. The way that I do it may not be the best, but it's safe for my loads and safe for others on the road.

RubberNeckin

I drove down very curvy mountain roads in Colorado, and had very little roll. My buddy had the problem of the roll on his load and almost lost it, he did not have it tightened down enough and the suspension was allowed to bounce and flex moving the rear end tire inches from coming off the trailer. Wish we had camera phones back then!!!!!! There are many good and safe ways to tie down a load, but if there not done correctly even they can fail. It's a crap shoot I guess.

RubberNeckin

I'm getting lazy in my old age, and just quit bothering to tie mine down at all. I must say, my trips are far more enjoyable now.

I still prefer chains over nylon though.. :D

(was that too sexy for RME?)

Thats funny $hit man, that would be something to see. HAHAHAHA:rofl:

pkrfctr

Those of you using chains to the axle how are you attaching them without taking the paint off the axles? I had just about decided to switch over to chain and then macs came out with lasso style straps that will work in superduty knuckles.......

mbryson

Supporting Member
Those of you using chains to the axle how are you attaching them without taking the paint off the axles? I had just about decided to switch over to chain and then macs came out with lasso style straps that will work in superduty knuckles.......

My axles get scratchedimage.jpg

This end doesn’t scratch much but I’d imagine it does scratch

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member

You could buy axle straps and use chains but honestly I freakin’ love my Mac’s setup and will never have anything else. The axles straps and direct hooks are two of MANY nice features they have.

Pile of parts

My axles get scratchedView attachment 119910

This end doesn’t scratch much but I’d imagine it does scratch
I like those. Where did you find them? My axles get scratched by rocks anyway so what's a few more?

I use chains around my axles (like axle straps) connected to 10,000/3,300 lb ratchet straps. I got tired of straps getting ruined by some sharp edge of whichever bracket they would find . Those hooks would make it that much easier.

mbryson

Supporting Member
They are used on car carrier type wreckers. It’s called a “J” hook

These chain bridles are WAY handy for recovery and/or hauling also