How to use & contribute to the Trail Maps Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Welcome to the RME Trail Maps Forum!

Our goal for this forum is simple; that is to provide detailed maps, information and pictures of our many local and surrounding trails. The Trail Map Forum is intended for use by all registered RME user, and we want you to help contribute!

There is a lot of cool new technology out there, so why not start using to our benefit? We have chosen Google Earth to be our mapping format.
  • What does this Mean? It means that we can offer aerial maps of our trails with the ability to zoom in / out, scroll around to view the surrounding area, and even digitally view the topographical features of the area. This means you can find the proper routes to get to and from the trail.
  • What is Google Earth? Google Earth is a FREE satellite image viewer. From the Google Earth Website: "Google Earth combines the power of Google Search with satellite imagery, maps, terrain and 3D buildings to put the world's geographic information at your fingertips."
  • Where do I get Google Earth? Follow this link to download the latest version for free: http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html

• How do I use the Maps Section? Following a specific format, we hope to keep this section as easy to use as possible. In the initial post there will be details of the trails name and location. Below that will be GPS points of interest that will be within or around the range of the trail. Attached to the initial post will be an aerial screen shot of the trail as well as a .KMZ file which is a Google Earth place mapping file. This allows you to download and run which will automatically open Google Earth and take you to the mapped trail.
  • Can I submit my own Trail Maps? Yes! In fact, we encourage that you create and submit your own maps. If you are fluent with Google Earth you can easily learn how to create the maps and way points to follow our current format. Try to follow the format as closely as possible, create a new thread with the information, attach the .KMZ file and submit! The new map thread will then go into the moderation queue where we can check for accuracy and formatting. We will even create the screen shot and attach it to the thread after approval.

Note*
    After you submit a new map, it could take a few days for it to be approved.
  • Can I reply to a Map Thread? Yes! We encourage discussion and pictures to be posted. Please keep everything relevant to the specific Trail in that thread. If you have pictures, gps coordinates, naming fixes, or other information please post up! Any off-topic or trip planning posts will be moved or deleted.
  • Why Can't I See or Download the Attached Map Files? You need to be a registered user to download and use the map files here on RME. Click here to Register, it's free! - If you are already a member, please log in at the top of the page.

We will be constantly editing this post to bring more answers and information. If you have any problems or questions please ask in the Issues, Problems and Feedback Forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.