How's an Atlas for long road miles?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'd love to have front hub lockouts. That would surely have helped your situation and a lot of other Rubicons. That pretty much requires new wheels though, no matter how you go about it.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
For anyone looking, my brother bought an Atlas last March for his TJ... then I sold him my entire drivetrain and he just used that Atlas rather than swapping inputs on the new one.... anyway, brand new atlas with shifters for sale, get it tomorrow instead of waiting umpteen weeks.

@DAA should have first dibs on that deal!

DAA

I need to figure out exactly what configuration options I need - like, I know I need the VSS, but I need to find out what else besides that and ratio needs specified. Then I'll be reaching out to @jeepin4x4james and @skippy. If the one James brother has ticks all the checkboxes that could be my best bet. I'll talk to Ryan about what ordering one would look like too.

Looking online at used 241OR's some more again this morning, prices on them have me leaning pretty heavy towards just getting an Atlas and crying myself to sleep for a few nights.

- DAA

DAA

Old one is out. I pulled the yokes off in case I can use them. Going to have to figure out which way I want to go with yokes and drive shafts - Atlas has 1350 yokes.

untitled-2W_1.jpg

untitled-5W.jpg

Atlas is on a jack under the Jeep. Ready for a first clocking test fit. Family has other plans for me though so I'm done for today.

- DAA

DAA

Okay, Atlas update... Some sunshine. Some clouds.

It's in. It drives. It shifts. It makes scary noises. But let's concentrate on the positive for a moment.

Where we left off.

untitled-2W_1.jpg

Talked to Advanced and Eric at Atlas. Clear that switching yokes on the Atlas and having my factory drive shafts lengthened/shortened and rebuilt was going to be hundreds cheaper than having either all new shafts built or my factory shafts modified to work with the 1350 yokes the Atlas came with. So new yokes from Advanced went on.

untitled-6W_1.jpg

Figured out where I needed to clock it. Trimmed a rib, and cut a new hole for the Atlas drain plug in the belly pan.

untitled-2-2W.jpg

Dimpled the tub a bit at the front corner of the Atlas. It wasn't touching, but it was real close. I bet it was going to knock like an annoying bitch once in awhile under drive train movement. BTW, if you need to have every bit of shit stuck to the bottom of your Jeep, rain down on you, laying underneath it and hammering clearance into the trans tunnel works really good.

But the transmission mount was making hard contact with the bottom of the Atlas, which was preventing the belly skid from being able to bolt back on.

untitled-37W.jpg

The transmission mount doesn't need four bolts. Three is plenty. Isn't it?

untitled-45W.jpg

untitled-50W.jpg

Well, maybe three is plenty. Maybe not. But that bolt head in the Atlas inspection plate, above, that is REAL close to contacting, does contact when I introduce the belly pan. Not to where I can't get the frame bolts started on the skid pate and suck it up, but to where I do need the bolts to suck it up, can't just jack it up flush like it likes to.

I'd really like to hear some ideas on the proper solution here. My idea, is to space down the mount from the bottom of the transmission, and then cut and sink the rest through the skid plate an equal amount. This part, sink it into the skid, so the drive train can rest in it's natural position and not have any contact between the Atlas and the mount.

untitled-34W.jpg

Thoughts and ideas on this are most welcome.

Shifters took me some time, but they weren't hard to get set up.

untitled-13W.jpg

untitled-8W.jpg

untitled-24W.jpg

untitled-54W.jpg

Had my drive shafts done at Axis and Eric turned them around fast. When I first started messing with this, I noticed one of my rear Falcon shocks had puked out all it's oil. So I sent that to Teraflex and they turned that around real fast too. Also, had been planning to do rear brake pads and parking brake shoes soon anyway, so did that as well.

Adjusted the rear pinion angle down - it was off by 4* now. Pinion nut was loose again, too, gave it many ugga duggas. Front pinion might be just a tad low and need raised, but I haven't messed with that one yet.

First test drive, it's making noise. Kind of scary sounding. Worse on acceleration, but there pretty much always, even at idle. Kind of thought maybe the front axle was unhappy. Disconnected the front drive shaft and went for another drive, it didn't help.

Don't really know what the noise is.

But I'm hoping, that maybe it's just the contact between the Atlas and the trans mount, sending sound and vibes through the whole rig. Even the starter motor sounds much louder and I can feel it a lot more now.

So, could that be it? Anyone with a plasma and a real welder want to help sink that mount in the skid some day fairly soon?

Getting there...

- DAA