Hows eagle canyon these days?

sixstringsteve

Im thinking about a trip in the swell lster this month, and id like to run esgle canyon. Its been 10-15 years since i last drove that yrail, and i remember a washed out section climbing back up out of the wash. Has anyone driven it lately? Do you think a fill size (tundra) could make it?

I suppose i could always drvie it as far as i could then turn around.

iceaxe

Backroad Adventurer
It's been a couple years now via shotgun in an 09 Tacoma, N to S so maybe we went down that section your talking about going up? But my previous experience was like yours 12 or so years before that, in the XJ.
Two things -
#1 the sxs woop-de-doo's, don't know what it is about those that makes the most annoying frequency of ups and downs along what I remember years ago being mostly smooth sandy two track or wash bottom sailing. It was slower going when it seemed it should have been easier going.
#2 A lot rockier and tighter trail than I remembered? Generally just tighter cornering to get around rocks or avoid pin-striping etc.

Maybe I just remembered it with rose colored lenses, couldn't be the XJ was that much better than the Taco right? [it was of coarse] ; )

The Tacoma did fine with OME suspension, did not touch his rock rails. I only spotted him down one or two spots on the shelf road going down from I-70 and maybe one other tight spot along the canyon. Don't recall any real concerns. It would be a bit tighter for a Tundra in spots.

Can Do
by Jared Payne, on Flickr

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
We were down at the Swell last weekend and it was clear that they got a lot of water in the last storms. We ran the behind the reef trail and the fun section that starts at Choke Canyon had been washed out but the BLM guys fixing it were leaving just as we got there and I made it all the way to Bell Canyon where the trail turns to ATV only.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
We were down at the Swell last weekend and it was clear that they got a lot of water in the last storms. We ran the behind the reef trail and the fun section that starts at Choke Canyon had been washed out but the BLM guys fixing it were leaving just as we got there and I made it all the way to Bell Canyon where the trail turns to ATV only.

Chute Canyon you mean? 38.6286, -110.7642?