HP Tuners?

1tonblazer

Big Ugly Blazer Pilot
My son and I just ordered an HP Tuner MPVI2 with the pro features and several extra credits.... email says we should have it tomorrow at the shop... anybody else on this forum have one or experience with one? We currently own 4 LS based vehicles and are working on more, so we figured it was time to learn how to do our own tuning....

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I just bought the MPVI2 Pro as well. I've played around with the program and adjusting a tune I downloaded, but have yet to actually tune my vehicle.

I will say, the ability to adjust certain things like transmission shift tables is awesome!

Far as engine tuning, it sounds like adding a wideband O2 sensor is very wise.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I got pretty dang good with it tuning my 1.4 ecotec. What would you like to know? there are alot of good tutorials on youtube.

OCNORB

Supporting Member
I've done security system removal and a bit of tuning on my 8.1L.

I was amazed at how locked down the enrichment was from the factory - it had a long delay built in. Just taking that out made it quite a bit peppier. I'm sure it is a EPA compliance feature.

1tonblazer

Big Ugly Blazer Pilot
We received our new tuner today, I even bought a new laptop today to use for tuning purposes. I down loaded the latest VCM Suite software no problem, but for some reason our interface won't "unlock". We can't get it to give us a verification code for some reason. I will call them tomorrow, from everything I've heard they have a great support team. I watched a few videos from HP on YouTube today and they are very detailed and thorough. When we placed our order we bought the MPVI2 with the pro upgrade, and several extra credits, they contacted us the next day to verify our shipping and order. The lady on the phone made a commit about how it was unusual for a first time purchaser to buy extra credits...? they actually required us to start an account for the order to go through. So we did and it showed up exactly on time. They were super friendly and professional. I'm wondering if they needed a serial number to add the extra credits to and maybe that's part of the issue. It shows up in our devices tab and even shows our credits and the serial number but no verification code so it won't let use it yet.... and we did try on my 93 Blazer with a 5.3 in it still....

As far as what questions I have, I was putting out some feelers to see if anybody on here has experience with them if I ever have a need for assistance arises.

1tonblazer

Big Ugly Blazer Pilot
I've played with it a little bit with HP Tuners pertaining to the LS in my Jeep but I haven't gotten too deep as the OE tune is damn near perfect in my Jeep.

Mike
I've been really happy with my "factory" tuned ecms from Howell FI in my 87K5 and my Toylet, but I had a friend in Heber send the one for the 93 Blazer to "his guy" for tuning and it keeps throwing about a dozen codes, like fuel composition sensor faults, B1 and B2 S2 codes, evap codes up the ying yang, even brake light open circuit and steering angle faults and so on... I don't think it was tuned at all honestly. Also since I lowered this one and switched the tires down to 28" tall fattys the speedo is off about 12%, so going around 70 on I80 pegs the factory speedo gauge at at least 85....
I did buy the engine harnesses all from Howell so they are great, only problem with Howell has been terrible support. Getting them on the phone or email is tough and when you do they're very short with you and come across like your bothering them... at least that's what my experience has been.

Last edited:

1969honda

Supporting Member
Search the HPTuners forums, really good help and feedback there. If doing a transmission tune look into the Bluecat tunning tool. Between the two you can set up any shift points, speedometer calibrations, etc. I'm not an expert in any of it by a long shot but that's how I started tuning the wife's rebuilt L92 with a 6l80 last summer.

Last edited: