Husqvarna husky boy 50

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Just looking for opinions. I picked my boy up a Husqvarna husky boy 50 yesterday for a decent price. Seems to fit him good he’s 8 and never been on a bike before. Po said it just needed the carb cleaned and I figured two strokes are simple enough even if that wasn’t the problem I could probably figure it out. So against my better judgment I bought it non running. It’s a single speed auto with a 50cc air cooled two stroke.

It has spark. Good compression through the kicker (haven’t tested with gauge), and a fresh cleaned carb that looked brand new inside. Can’t for the life of me get it to fire. It spits through the exhaust like it want to light off but no luck so far.

Parts for these aren’t easy to find but they are out there. Ignitions and clutches aren’t known to be reliable but there are upgrades.. Do I put money into it or should I bail? At this point I’m thinking a chinesium pit bike might be a better choice? I thought I knew my way around bikes pretty good but this one has me stumped! 🤔

If I do bail what’s a good bike for an 8 year old? I’m clueless when it comes to finding the right bike for a kid haha. Thanks,

Andrew 40E5D5A1-373B-4117-9CB0-53183B32C5AE.jpeg

Tonkaman

Well that was an easy fix! Nice!

Be cautious while tuning for that bog. Those auto clutches are notoriously hard to tune and will cause the engine to bog if not setup right. I’ve seen guys drive themselves mad trying to fix a boggy carb that isn’t actually the problem.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Thanks you guys. The more I read about these the more I think I made the wrong choice seems they are super needy when it comes to tuning and clutching... kinda want a just hop on and go type of bike.

It runs great with the choke on but with it off I get a bog that is so bad it’ll kill the engine. I ordered up some jets and am looking for a few other odds and ends. I’ll give it a shot but if it’s too needy I think I’ll bail.

Tonkaman

I get the impression that you are a pretty sharp mechanic, so you should get a handle on it. Read up on tuning the clutch before you dive in too deep on anything else.

If your looking for absolute reliability I’d say a CRF OR TTR 50 would be a better fit.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I've got 2 low hour TTr110's for sale. One is a 2018, the other 2019. Both in great shape. Due to the market though, I am asking top dollar at $2,500. They are EXCELLENT for all around use. Bought one for my 7 yr old son and it was a little big then, he's 9 now and fits great. He went to a yz65 and I don't think his spoiled butt needs multiple bikes. Bought the other for daughter who wont ride anymore.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Thanks the offers @jeeper and @Tonkaman ! I think I’m going to hold off for now and fiddle with this 50 a bit more.

You’re right Jeeper just looking around I think you’ll have no problem getting that for your bikes. Kids bikes demand a premium right now for some reason.