Hydro assist on a Dana 30

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
Hey muddyjeep....do you have any more pictures of the way you mounted it?? The ones you posted helped a lot but I would like one or 2 more from the side angle if possible.

Which hose goes to the upper port, and which one goes to the lower port on the box.

M

muddyjeep

Hey muddyjeep....do you have any more pictures of the way you mounted it?? The ones you posted helped a lot but I would like one or 2 more from the side angle if possible.

Which hose goes to the upper port, and which one goes to the lower port on the box.

The hose on to the right of the Jeep goes to the top of the box,
and the other one to the bottom of the box.

This is how my box is set up.
100_1859 (Small).jpg

Hydro Assist Ram mount 005 (Small).jpg

Hydro Assist Ram mount 006 (Small).jpg

X1994J

XJ's Bring the Uni-Suck
muddyjeep's setup works well and isn't twitchy. I'll bet Cory's is better without the smaller pulley.

QUOTE]

Probably, but whats the point of running it if you're not going to use it to it's full advantage? If I put the large pulley back on, and it's less twitchy, all that tells me is i'm not using the hydro to its full advantage in my eyes.

I guess I should have stated that YES, it's twitchy on the street right now, but I do not plan on taking it off. If I can alter the pressure to make it more streetable, yes, I'll try it. But you dont do hydro assist for street driving. The main reason's I did the hydro was to take stress off the unibody (i've already had to plate it inner, outer, and bottom) and for the off road turning capability.

Here is where I mounted mine...
1230102230.jpg

Needle valves I plan putting inline to turn down the pressure..

mms_picture.jpg

Last edited:

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
Ok found an old pic of the standard hydro assist setup.

The hose connection that is further back goes to the connection to the left on the ram and vice versa
Power steering box 004 (Small).jpg

Thanks for running out and grabbing all those pictures. It helped me out a quite a bit to decide how I am going to mount it. I don't feel like there is much room under there and I'm afraid the trackbar is going to hit the cylinder at full compression (will have to cycle the suspension) I hate how the track bar is mounted in front of the axle instead of on top.

I'm going to take some pictures of where I drilled and tapped my box and hopefully I can get a little better explination of which hose goes to which side of the ram. I will post it up after work.

thats the way i reccomend to tap a box, i have never truster drilling the caps. tend to break from what i have seen.

Thats the way I did it :)

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Do you like it better?? Is your box tapped like mine? If it is I would really like to know which hose goes to which end of the ram.

it depends which way your ram is mounted...

Hook up the ram
bolt one side of the ram on, leave the otherside unbolted.
Have someone cycle the steering.
If it's correct, hook it up.
If it's wrong, switch the hoses

_Auzzy_

Current Rig: 12W Boots
Do you like it better?? Is your box tapped like mine? If it is I would really like to know which hose goes to which end of the ram.

I'm running full hyrdo, but according to Matt at Western Texas Offroad, the stock jeep pump kicks out round 900-1000, after mods it can kick up to 1400! i don't know what I'm kicking now, but it works hella better.

M

muddyjeep

it depends which way your ram is mounted...

Hook up the ram
bolt one side of the ram on, leave the otherside unbolted.
Have someone cycle the steering.
If it's correct, hook it up.
If it's wrong, switch the hoses

X2 This is what I did. And ya I had to switch the hoses.

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
Sorry been in Cali for KOH the last few days. Now it's back to school and work. I will be placing my order for all the hydro set up on March 4th. Then will get it going shortly after that. First I need to find someone who will let me use there 220 welder for an hour or so to button it all up.

M

muddyjeep

On mine I installed quick release fittings at the box that dont leak when you unhook them. I put 1 male and 1 female fitting on the box so you dont screw up putting the hoses on right
Before I unhook them I turn my steering wheel all the way to the lock so that the ram in compressed all the way. then I just unhook my lines and plug the two hoses together. This way the fluid in the ram passes from one side to the other and acts like a steering stabilizer. It seems to work good for me on the road.
If you don't turn your steering wheel before unhooking the hoses you will only be able to steer one direction because the fluid capacity of the ram is different for each side

Not to high jack the thread, but I have decided to get some quick disconnects for mine. So if I have a hose blow out or bend the ram, I can unbolt the ram and disconnect the hoses and still get home! __________________

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
Alrighty folks....sorry this is taking so long I've been extremely busy with school projects and other things going on...as well as work. The Hydro products took almost a week and a half to ship (FTW??) but they should be here by Tuesday or Wed next week. I have to put a new seal in the steering gear and I hope that will seal it up. Then I plan on actually installing everything by the 3rd week in April due to time constraints with other things. But it will be ready for OSRC and I will keep this up to date on any progress.

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
Alrighty!! Finally have all the parts (ram, hoses, fittings, cooler, synthetic fluid, tabs) to get this thing done. Should be doing it Sunday sometime if everything works out as planned. I will keep you posted.