Hydro assist questions

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
How many are running hydro assist on their rigs? My stock steering box has developed quite a bit of sector shaft deflection, so in the next couple weeks I'm planning to buy the PSC Big Bore XD2 with the hydro capability. I want to source my own ram and possibly hydro lines.

Which ram are you running, and is it one you would recommend for a JK platform?

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Dont waste your money on the PSC box.......

I would however buy the PSC ram 1.75"x6.75" I can hook you up with all of that stuff.

The PSC box gives the steering a very very light feel and I dont personally like it. I like drilling and tapping the factory box with the PSC 3.6" pump kit and there ram. Seems to be a great running budget friendly setup.

xjtony

I ran a trail gear ram with a stock drilled and tapped box on my XJ. Just a few things i learned:

1. Don't go too big on the bore of the ram. I went with a 2 inch (sourced for cheap used) and the steering was really slow at idle. Normal driving was ok, just slow at lower RMPs

2. Make double sure that the box and the ram are clocked properly. When I set mine up I was not careful enough and had half an inch more travel in my ram than the box. I found out at the very beginning of HTT when I ripped the passenger side knuckle clean off the upper ball joint!

RockChucker

I have hydro assist on my rig. 1.75" x 8" ram. This is really a 1.5" piston. Not sure why they "size" a ram on the OD rather than the functional ID of the bore. Whatever. It works pretty good, couple things to note.

1. In response to @skippy, if the PSC box is too light feeling, see if you can order it with a larger diameter torsion bar controlling the spool valve. Don't know what options they have available, but a quick(?) phone call should answer that. Bigger bar will = crisper, "sportier" feeling steering. The power assist won't change but your perceived effort at the steering wheel will be higher to fully open the spool valve with the stiffer torsion bar.

2. Along the lines of @xjtony, sizing the pump is pretty critical and if the pump is undersized (or ram too big), steering will be heavy while you wait for the hydraulics to catch up. If you are set on hydro assist, I'd second @skippy's recommendation. Skip the PSC box and just port a factory size box (or buy a ported factory size box from PSC or somewhere). The hydraulic ram will provide most all of your steering force and the smaller stock size box will have a smaller volume requirement (thus preventing the heavy steering when trying to turn quickly). If you just want more power and are going to avoid the hydro assist, why not go for the bigger diameter box, it will increase your steering force. Although it likely won't be enough to make it easy to turn on slick rock with lockers engaged for example. Probably won't be much different than your steering now when things start to bind because of traction.

3. Also along the lines of @xjtony, make sure your ram, box and steering stops are all timed so everything bottoms out at the same time, otherwise when you get to the extremes of your steering, the ram can cause damage to the box if it has more travel and the box is at its stops. Not a very fun day to twist a sector shaft off. Or like Tony's experience let the ram tear the knuckles/ball joints apart.

My $.02.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I think it was '06-07. I met Tacoma there right after Seth took ownership and was doing a big sale so they could move to the new location. Then a friend went to work for him and I went with them to EJS in '07. Long story short that guy was the worst.

Pile of parts

I think it was '06-07. I met Tacoma there right after Seth took ownership and was doing a big sale so they could move to the new location. Then a friend went to work for him and I went with them to EJS in '07. Long story short that guy was the worst.
I never met the guy, but let's just say the opinions I heard are the reason my sweatshirt isn't worn out after all these years.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I've ran rams and lines from surpluscenter.com a couple of times. Always seemed to work just fine. They have a large selection of rams. Sorry, I don't know what stroke length works best for a JK. I'd probably run a 1.5" bore though.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
8" (1.75") surplus supply ram 1.5 ID
I swapped a Durango Saginaw box on my big TJ.
Lines from Evco house or hose.
I run a wagoneer pitman arm to match my steering arm length.
I used to make a new billet aluminum replacement front cap that was tapped for lines and then I tapped the top cap.
Modified pump with drilled orifice and stretched spring.