I finally gave in...

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Speaking of zooming around,

I am always curious if it is built into the programing of the SXS to automatically gun it and throw sand/rocks all over my rig, family, etc, when I am nice enough to yield the trail to them because I understand they will travel faster than I usually want to go... :-/

***Cough*** Dixie 4 wheel drive ***Cough*** A$$HOLE kid ***

I'm pretty sensitive to this when I've been on trail in our sxs. Most of the sxs use a CVT trans and you do have to rev it before it will actually move, and mine will spin the rear tires easily if you give too much throttle. I keep this in mind when I encounter other users on the trail, so I'm pretty easy on the throttle as I pass and for a little bit after I've passed someone.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I'm pretty sensitive to this when I've been on trail in our sxs. Most of the sxs use a CVT trans and you do have to rev it before it will actually move, and mine will spin the rear tires easily if you give too much throttle. I keep this in mind when I encounter other users on the trail, so I'm pretty easy on the throttle as I pass and for a little bit after I've passed someone.

That's because you're not a newb to off-road culture. As Jinx said, it's the newbs with no etiquette. I have no problem with sxs's other than that factor. :)

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
There isn't a lot of trail ettiquete in the SXS world yet. :(

I try to give them the benefit of a doubt and consider them all newbies, but there is A LOT of newbies...
I mostly ride in the Sand and feel SXS do fairly well out there. The wife and I went to Bear River Lodge area up Mirror Lake Hwy a couple of weeks back and were a little surprised how many AVT's and Motorcycles decided that the main trail was either a parking lot forcing everyone else to go offer trail or just plain old not caring if they are on the trail or not. The difference in machines between mountain riding and sand is very noticeable, and I think the ethic between the two is also noticeable. I really don't think that mountain riding is for those that want to "rip" but more of site seeing. Maybe I'm just old, but if you want to tear it up, play in the sand :cool:

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!

I completely understand the trans rpm situation, but where it is generally with a "age group" of SXS driver, I was guessing it was something with the computer programing... :D

Wait, does this mean that SXS's are like, the millennials of off-road vehicles? :rofl:

Something about knowing everything, feeling entitled, over empowered, etc... :rofl:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I agree with @Shawn about riding styles appropriate for different terrains. After having my first sxs for only a month, it's clear to me that mountain trails are kinda boring in this type of machine. Sand or desert is where I think this machine is more suited, and I'm looking forward to visiting the dunes and even 5 mile for some of the high speed roads.

I might do some rock crawling in this machine, but not a lot. The CVT leaves me with an uneasy feeling when climbing steep and slow. I'd rather do that type of offroading in my Jeep, where I have more control at super low speeds.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
SXS do give the Off Roading industry a bad rap a lot of the times. I was on Hells Revenge years back and there were a bunch of SXS with people standing in the back and they were driving all over the place of trail. But they got theirs when the UHP Helicopter rained down upon them, it was like instant gratification for me.

Coco

Welcome to the fun! I have only had mine for around 2 months, but they are indeed a blast!

Mountain riding is still fun in them I feel, but you definitely shouldn't be 'out to go fast'. I agree that type of riding is for the desert and sand, but when its 100*+ it is nice to escape to the mountains and enjoy some cooler temps and beautiful scenery. My machine is fully capable of going fast, the Packard turbo kit makes that more than easy, but there is a time and place for it.

I agree the etiquette is much needed in the SXS world. I truly wish the dealerships, or the community would be more open and vocal about letting folks know when they are buying a machine about being respectful of the land, tread lightly, and respectful of other people and rigs. There has actually been multiple threads on UTV Utah on Facebook about trail etiquette and the lack there of. I try to put in my .02 cents and be respectful of others, while educating the community as a whole, but it seems like a fine line that is walked. I knew when I bought mine I would instantly be slapped with the 'SXS Douche' label, but I still like to be respectful and continue to have fun. I just hope that in the future myself and others can teach more of the community and change the non-educated ways about them. I know lots of people do not like SXS's for that reason, and I admit several of the owners are the bad apples. Hopefully someday that can change however.IMG_2577.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2577.JPG
    IMG_2577.JPG
    819.1 KB · Views: 1

ID Bronco

Welcome to the fun! I have only had mine for around 2 months, but they are indeed a blast!

Mountain riding is still fun in them I feel, but you definitely shouldn't be 'out to go fast'. I agree that type of riding is for the desert and sand, but when its 100*+ it is nice to escape to the mountains and enjoy some cooler temps and beautiful scenery. My machine is fully capable of going fast, the Packard turbo kit makes that more than easy, but there is a time and place for it.

I agree the etiquette is much needed in the SXS world. I truly wish the dealerships, or the community would be more open and vocal about letting folks know when they are buying a machine about being respectful of the land, tread lightly, and respectful of other people and rigs. There has actually been multiple threads on UTV Utah on Facebook about trail etiquette and the lack there of. I try to put in my .02 cents and be respectful of others, while educating the community as a whole, but it seems like a fine line that is walked. I knew when I bought mine I would instantly be slapped with the 'SXS Douche' label, but I still like to be respectful and continue to have fun. I just hope that in the future myself and others can teach more of the community and change the non-educated ways about them. I know lots of people do not like SXS's for that reason, and I admit several of the owners are the bad apples. Hopefully someday that can change however.View attachment 114534
I think it's that way anytime you can buy an off the shelf built machine. I think there is some of that with the 4 door rubicons and it takes more time to teach them. Also the sxs's are so powerful right out of the box that you get every knucklehead with some money can cause quite a bit of damage with zero effort. If they had to build them, most lazy knucleheads wouldn't be in the game.

My problem with them is the lack of respect for the 50" rule. Most of our trails out here do not have 50" gates and the wider ones are all over, all the trails now have three tracks, two for 50" vehicles and another one for the non legal wider ones.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
After 300 miles I am still very happy with my purchase. I have added a rear bed cover, 40" led bar (cheap Amazon) swapped the 12v socket out for a usb port and installed a street legal kit. I have a 4500lb winch coming and an aluminium roof that will be here next week. I'm going to ride out the stock tires, I don't think they will last long and then decide if i upsize to 14" wheels and 28" tires or stay with the 12" wheels and go to a 27" Terrabite. I will add a windshield when the weather gets cold, not a fan of dust and that's what my experience gives me with windshields. I'm going to build some bumpers and a couple other accessories before I sell my bender. With the 10 gallon gas tank I can get pretty close to 200 miles on a tank and that is pretty important to me.

I think that Can-am has hit a homerun with this machine, the 90" wheelbase makes it incredible on climbs and is super smooth on the trails. it handles the high speeds better than any 4 wheeler or 50" machine I have been on, and will run at 68 mph and wants to keep going but is speed limited. I don't think I will make any performance upgrades to the powertrain, but will probably upgrade to a better shock system in a year or so after I have it set up like I want it and can afford to dump 3k into a set of shocks.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I had a chance today to ride a couple black diamond trails and am very happy with my choice. The first trail I stopped riding on my 4wheeler because it was hard to keep the front end down on the climbs. The Maverick Trail just walked up them, I didn’t have any issues with ground clearance and after a few spots I got used to how the front locker engauges. I have really come to like the selectable rear locker, I had some very tight switchbacks that I could just unlock the rear and let the front pull me around the corner. The eco mode really smooths out the throttle on the rough stuff. I was worried that a 90” wheelbase would be hard to wheel on the tight trails but I never got hung up.E1093437-B26A-4B71-B00A-C63AB75E16DC.jpeg39C850E9-80E7-402F-BA7F-C11A55F36E00.jpeg

Last edited: