I Got a Tick

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
So this has been a thing for awhile but I forget about it because it'll go away for weeks at a time. Then all the sudden it's back for a week, then gone again. The last time I was dealing with it was in December.

I have a ticking sound coming from underneath the Jeep, 99 Wrangler. Only happens when I let off the gas and I'm going faster then 20 mph I'm at a loss because of the going away and coming back thing. The "Ticking" keeps speed with the jeep, being that it goes faster when the jeep is going faster and slower as I slow down. I found some forums saying possible gear breakage in the differential, and another that said it was a loose connection to the Front driveshaft causing the front axle to engage and disengage over and over. I haven't had a chance to check the diff yet but wanted to ask if anyone has dealt with this before. Opinions, kind words of support?

gatchmo5710

Drive with only fwd or rear driveshaft to isolate. U joints. Check pinion nuts on all the yokes. Cracked wheels. Rock stuck in tires. Look for zip ties left from a RME member. Flexplate bolts.

Does it change based on temperature?

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
Drive with only fwd or rear driveshaft to isolate. U joints. Check pinion nuts on all the yokes. Cracked wheels. Rock stuck in tires. Look for zip ties left from a RME member. Flexplate bolts.

Does it change based on temperature?

For a bit I thought it happened with the cold, but then it persisted through the summer.

Definitely not an RME associated zip tie. Though they are quite numerous throughout the vehicle.... :rofl:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
It wouldn't hurt to peek inside the diff if you can't find anything external. It's an old-style ARB, and those have been known to have the bolts that hold the case together come loose or break.