I hate Craigslist Lowballers...

Tebbsjeep

I've been trying to sell my wife's old car for a while, and we've dropped the price over half of what we first listed it for. I had a guy text me today offering $1200 for it (it's listed for $1900), I said no thanks. He then offered $1500, and I said no again. He came back with "You have it listed for 1900 but wont take 1500?" like he was doing me a favor. I then proceeded to give him a lesson on proper bartering etiquette. He didn't like that, and left with "You can't even sell that car for $1200, good luck boss." Then why did he offer $1500?:thinking: This year has been the most frustrating year for selling stuff on ksl. I'm hesitant to even list my old set of tires and rims. I might just let them sit in the backyard and save me the aggravation.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I'm terrible at bartering. I drove down to Fountain green a while back to pick up a boat motor for my dad, about a 2 hour drive, guy had something come up so I ended up waiting another 20 minutes for him to show up. Checked out the motor it ran, looked like what we want so I handed him the full amount. I think I threw him off, he ended up giving me $40 back because that's what he was happy with and expected the folks on KSL to talk him down to.

Tebbsjeep

I think I'm more than fair when they show up and talk to me in person. We can talk about potential issues, get a feel for each other, and usually strike a deal. Fair is fair. I think that goes a long way. But when the first correspondence is "what's the lowest you'll take?" that kind of seals your fate with me. If they continue with attitude, they don't even get the chance to buy it. Call me petty, but I hate that crap.

Last edited:

Tebbsjeep

I will sometimes make offers before I meet someone, but only on small items that I know exactly what I'm willing to pay, and never before having a decent dialog before hand. I let them know that their price is reasonable and that they'll most likely find someone to buy it. Then I'll tell them where I'm at on price with no disrespect intended, and either way they decide, there's no harm no foul. Then neither of us waste time showing up to a meeting that doesn't end in a purchase. I'd never do that on a big or unique purchase though. Giving an offer isn't a bad thing, just depends on how it's delivered.

glockman

I hate Jeeps
But when the first correspondence is "what's the lowest you'll take?" that kind of seals your fate with me.
I have started responding with, what is the most you will pay? Sometimes they make an offer, then I add 25% to my asking price. It throws them off, then I stop responding. Like has been said, show up, look at the item and assess if it has issues, then make me an offer based on that.

DAA

Premium Member
Premium Member
I mostly just don't list stuff anymore. List it here, give it away or throw it away. But when I do, I mostly just don't respond to the obvious bottom dwellers. Once in awhile, I'll reply to a low ball offer by raising my price, I'm asking $100, they text and ask if I'll take $50, I reply "For you, $150". But, mostly, I just ignore them.

The ones I hate though, are the "Do you still have?". Because some of those, are legit, I have responded and ended up selling to that person. But seems like about 90%, if I respond that I still have it, I never hear from again and I'm left wondering exactly what sort of scam I just fell for and how many crappy lists my number is now being sold to as "verified".

The whole ordeal of selling on KSL pretty much just sucks ass.

Reminds me though, I have a pair of KC fog lights that just came off my LJ, 100w halogen, still work perfectly fine. $20 from someone here or I'm just throwing them away.

- DAA

Stephen

Under Construction
Premium Member
The ones I hate though, are the "Do you still have?". Because some of those, are legit, I have responded and ended up selling to that person. But seems like about 90%, if I respond that I still have it, I never hear from again and I'm left wondering exactly what sort of scam I just fell for and how many crappy lists my number is now being sold to as "verified".

- DAA
I have a Google Voice number that I only use for posting ads on KSL and Craigslist for this reason.

TRD270

Web Wheeler
I mostly just don't list stuff anymore. List it here, give it away or throw it away.

Reminds me though, I have a pair of KC fog lights that just came off my LJ, 100w halogen, still work perfectly fine. $20 from someone here or I'm just throwing them away.

- DAA
This is me now, if it doesn't sell on RME I don't try and sell anymore i'm fed up with KSL trolls

That being said would you take $5 :rofl:

Hardcastle

Maybe I’m just callused but the annoying classified ad trolls don’t bother me too much. I guess I just accepted that it will happen and ignore them. They rarely get a response out of me. I do happen to add each one of their phone numbers to my “KSL Butthole” contact in my phone. It’s funny to see a repeat “customer” pop up every now and again.

I do have one story that really pissed me off. Years ago for a few weeks I attempted to sell a camper/truck as a combo rather than split them up. The truck was setup perfectly to haul the camper so I gave it shot first. I had one troll do nothing but heckle me for days. Never even made an offer. Repeated texts telling me how much of an idiot I was thinking I could get that kind of cash for my setup. I eventually split the 2 items and came out $2.5k ahead of what my combo price was.

My normal tactic when I post stuff for sale is price it fare but on the low side making sure it's the lowest item on ksl in the same condition. Because of this I usually sell stuff within 1-2 days. Whoever buys it knows the deal slightly favors him and I can just ignore the negotiation game and most importantly ignore the time sucking trolls.

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
Premium Member
If I am travelling any significant distance to buy something I want to know we have an agreed upon price, if I am going to hook up the trailer and spend the gas money I want to know what I am in for when I get there.

There are a lot of trolls out there but some give and take between two serious parties goes a long way. Being a dick from the seller side is just as bad a s being a dick from the buyer side.

Stephen

Under Construction
Premium Member
One of my favorite's is when you have agreed on a price, then the buyer shows up with the wrong amount.
Say you agreed on $15 for an item listed for $20, person shows up with $10 and say's "Sorry, I didn't have a $5!". Ya huh. Even better is when they haggle you down from $20 to $15, then show up with a $20 bill and ask for change. I've always said that I don't have change, but I'll take the $20 if they want the item right now; otherwise I have people waiting on it. That has usually worked out well. Morons. :rolleyes:

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I have started responding with, what is the most you will pay? Sometimes they make an offer, then I add 25% to my asking price. It throws them off, then I stop responding. Like has been said, show up, look at the item and assess if it has issues, then make me an offer based on that.
When ever I get a low ball offer I always respond with my asking price plus 25% is the lowest I can go. They always respond with what my price in the ad is. I respond to that by saying it’s a deal.

Coco

Supporting Vendor!
Supporting Vendor
A couple years back I was talking with a kid that had a somewhat built Samurai for sale. It was a good price, and we agreed on said price so I drove out to Tooele to to take a look and take it for a spin with my truck and trailer there and cash in hand. Get there, take it for a spin, give it a look over and tell him I'll take it, when he gets a call... Dude on phone offers a little higher price and the dude with the samurai tells me he won't sell it unless I want to go to that price. I told him to eff off, and we had agreed on a price, I was there with the truck and trailer and cash and he decided to screw me over. Needless to say some choice words were said, and I left pretty pissed with no rig. Come to find out one of my buddies that I did RC with bought it and was on the phone with the guy when I was there. Needless to say I gave him a TON for crap for it, and told him he cost me that sale.