I hate Craigslist Lowballers...

sabatoa1

I had a guy call me and offer me $2500 for my 4runner I was asking $4000, and I told him I was firm on price. He said he wanted to come look at it, and I said just let me know when you are coming and I will hold it until you get here. He drove down looked at it, and said he he wanted it. We go in the house to write up a bill of sale and sign the title and he pulls out $2500. I ment it when I said I am firm on $4000 and he got all mad and said I figured since I drove so far you would be willing to make the deal of $2500. Well to keep it short he left all pissed off and I bet feeling like a cheap ass and an idiot thinking because he drove so far I would give it to him cheaper.

skeptic

Nothing wrong with getting or making a low-ball offer, especially something like this where you can't just look up the blue book value. In this case I'd just reply "no" to his offer, and not bother to counter.

OrvisKrawler

Captain Obvious
I do it all the time, I buy and flip cars, there is good money it in if you get the right car for the right price, most the cars I get I pick up for rough trade in value and sell for close to retail after a good cleaning, you would be surprised at how many people take your low ball offer, I made enough money last summer flipping to buy my duramax and flat bed car hauler with cash, I may come off as a cheap ass or whatever but the money is there, thats the only reason I will do it

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I don't like it either, but you know what you are getting into, why worry, fret, get pissed about an idiot? Life's too short for that.
Good luck!

I'm not pissed, more .... unhappy with the lack of respect? Like I mentioned earlier, if someone shows up face to face and we talk about the condition and price, I'll haggle. But offering 1/2 of a fair price is just dumb.

Man... that'd be a perfect trailer to mod into an off-road trailer.

I usually deal with lowballers directly. When they shoot me a way-too-low price, I reply with "No. Sorry." I don't even bother haggling, which is part of buying/selling IMO.

Funny, but true, there's a older fella I got to sell me a vintage Snap-On box and side cabinet without the top box (which didn't match). After a few days of the whole set-up not selling he agreed to split the set-up up for a fair price that I considered a great deal. So, when I got to his place, I dropped him an extra ten bucks for hooking me up. Now he calls me before he even posts anything on KSL that I may be interested in. He's even called me to give me a few oddball tools.

The best wack-a-doo offers I've had are worse than lowballing. I contemplated selling my 26/27 Touring car and a man offered me scrap steel in exchange. I just needed to get it out of his pasture. What a deal! Plus, he figured it was about a thousand short of my asking.

Next guy, same car, offered me my asking price but he'd make monthly payments, which came out to nearly three years I'd have to hold onto this car.

With selling stuff on the side, I've come across all sorts of odd ducks. I cannot really say Utah is the worst, though. Sure, I've come across some cheapskates but, really, no different than some folks I've dealt with back east.

I've actually used it for long weekend trips, even made some uprights to mount the RTT to!

P7081140-M.jpg

I've been nice or ignored many a lowballer, this one just got under my skin and I let it ride. :D

I'm with ID Bronco. Negotiating is the name of the game on any online forum. I will often do it sight unseen if I'm confident of the condition. No reason to see the item if the seller is going to stick on some high price. If your price is firm, say so in the posting. If you only have a little room to negotiate, say so. Otherwise, play the game. If you don't specify where you are at, expect to get a bunch of low-ball offers. I wouldn't jerk people around - scammers excepted.

See, the thing is that the price isn't firm... I'd happily take $250, but the lack of respect and offering 1/2 the list price is what bothers me.

Some people were raised without the benefit of learning any respect or they decided to be jerks later in life.
It's a fine line between bartering and insulting.

But respect generally reaps the reward of respect.

They guy I sold my V8 YJ to still call me and PAYS me to work on the Jeep for him from time to time because he is respectful and polite.

I would just tell the guy politely "NO" and that your price is firm and ignore him from then on.

I do share your distaste for the "double negotiation move," super lame to bargain on the phone then try to bargain after you show up.

Agreed, respect goes a long way in negotiations.

I had a guy call me and offer me $2500 for my 4runner I was asking $4000, and I told him I was firm on price. He said he wanted to come look at it, and I said just let me know when you are coming and I will hold it until you get here. He drove down looked at it, and said he he wanted it. We go in the house to write up a bill of sale and sign the title and he pulls out $2500. I ment it when I said I am firm on $4000 and he got all mad and said I figured since I drove so far you would be willing to make the deal of $2500. Well to keep it short he left all pissed off and I bet feeling like a cheap ass and an idiot thinking because he drove so far I would give it to him cheaper.

What a waste of time, yours and his. His loss for being a cheapskate.

I do it all the time, I buy and flip cars, there is good money it in if you get the right car for the right price, most the cars I get I pick up for rough trade in value and sell for close to retail after a good cleaning, you would be surprised at how many people take your low ball offer, I made enough money last summer flipping to buy my duramax and flat bed car hauler with cash, I may come off as a cheap ass or whatever but the money is there, thats the only reason I will do it

I negotiate on cars for sure, but taking the time to look at in person, see what you're dealing with to justify a lower price it totally understandable.

I would absolutely say that someone just gave you 20 bucks for it, ha ha.

Done! :D

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I'm with you Greg. I mess with KSL people all the time.
I was selling a toy hauler for $9k. It was the cheapest one one KSL of that model. A guy texts and offers me $5k. I say no. He asks if I'd trade a skidoo sled for it. I ask how much the sled is worth. He says $5500, so still low balling. I offer him $2500 Cash for the sled. Touche he responded.

I get a kick out of it sometimes.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'm with you Greg. I mess with KSL people all the time.
I was selling a toy hauler for $9k. It was the cheapest one one KSL of that model. A guy texts and offers me $5k. I say no. He asks if I'd trade a skidoo sled for it. I ask how much the sled is worth. He says $5500, so still low balling. I offer him $2500 Cash for the sled. Touche he responded.

I get a kick out of it sometimes.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I think most people realize they're trying to pull one over, so when you call them on their bullshit most decent people will acknowledge that they were trying to get away with something then otherwise probably would not fly.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
i just low-balled a Mercedes for $700.

It was not running, I know how to fix it. The owner does not. After I fix it, I'll resell it for $3500.

WHAT!!!!? That was you? Screw you!!!! I'm not selling it to you now! You won't be selling anything and making any money off me! So there!!

:D Just kidding. I wasn't the seller. But that would be funny.

MOODY

Bald Guy
Typical stuff all across the board, be it KSL, Craigslist, etc. I fully expect some negotiation on price, but all too often it is 12k for something that is listed for 18k. Not even close. I have a watch I am selling. It's a really nice 14k Movado. Diamonds and all. I get offers of $250 because "that's all they can afford". Probably shouldn't be looking at a 2,300.00 watch then buddy. I generally just go with "firm" to alleviate the headache.

STAG

On my grind
WHAT!!!!? That was you? Screw you!!!! I'm not saleing it too you now! You won't be saleing anything and making any money off me! So their!!

:D Just kidding. I wasn't the saler. But that wood be funny.

I fixed your typos to make it believeable that you are a real KSL seller.

STAG

On my grind
I fixed your typos to make it believeable that you are a real KSL seller.
Wow. Literally no later than I post this, I get an email from one of my estimators on a jobs-awarded. (A regular nightly email I get from all my estimators including maps and explanations of the jobs they received approval to complete work on.)

His map includes lines like "the parking lot is really ruff," "drive threw" and "water axes points" [access]

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
WHAT!!!!? That was you? Screw you!!!! I'm not selling it to you now! You won't be selling anything and making any money off me! So there!!

I bought it already about 2 weeks ago. LOL

1521758_10152168113275028_3475247343162226346_n.jpg

:D Just kidding. I wasn't the seller. But that would be funny.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I have a heavy home made bike carrier on KSL for $75. I care nothing for the item, want it out of my yard. Belongs to my BIL, so he will end up with the money anyway.
I figure $50 is a reasonable value.

Text comes in:
-Will you take less?

Uh... For what??

-sorry, your hitch carrier

How much were you thinking?

-$40

No, lowest I will go is $50.

-can you send me some pics?

(all ready in the ad!!!!!) send pics anyway.

silence for a couple hours.

-I'm in syracuse, so I will give you $50 if you deliver it to me, or only $40 if I have to come get it.

People are unbelievable.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
People feel like they have to get a good deal on it.
Well he got a good deal.. because I told him to come get it. But rest assured, he was every bit of the arrogant punk I though the would be..
He spent a lot of time telling me how cool he was, and how fast his 125 is..

sixstringsteve

I just got a text from a random number.

"hey, what's the lowest you could go on your truck?"

to which I replied

"what's the highest you could go?"

It'd be a different story if he were here looking at it and we had talked about it a bit, but for the first thing out of the gate, that's just plain cheap.

Last edited: