I hate Craigslist Lowballers...

MOODY

Bald Guy
Message rec'd while going into the desert for a couple of days this weekend:

"I know you said in your KSL ad $750/Firm, but would you take $650? Cash."

I was just going to delete it, but my brother in law (being the smartass he is) replied with "I'll take $850 from you."

A day later when I actually had a smidgen of service, he replies with, "Did the price go up? You should read your text"

I replied with "You should read KSL ads that say "Firm".

Am I off base to make it very clear about a firm price and then be annoyed when people ask for a lower price?

193kyle

Yeah, I had my truck on ksl for $19k, you wouldn't believe how many offers of $12.5k I got. I would usually just laugh at them and tell them to go waste someone else's time....

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
... Am I off base to make it very clear about a firm price and then be annoyed when people ask for a lower price?

Nope, nothing wrong with that. People that won't read the specific details are just wasting the sellers time... and I HATE having people waste my time.

flexyfool

GDW
Yeah, I had my truck on ksl for $19k, you wouldn't believe how many offers of $12.5k I got. I would usually just laugh at them and tell them to go waste someone else's time....

So did it sell for $19K? I find that if multiple people offer about the same low price, then that is what the item is really worth. They are comparing it to other ads or the infamous "Blue Book Value".

The biggest problem I have with selling stuff is people wasting my time -- asking for my phone number and calling me to ask questions that the ad answers and setting up a time to look at the item and never showing up.

I get the impression that many people are simply looking to "steal" an item in order to resell it.

Last edited:

STAG

On my grind
This thread is one of the reasons I like pawn stars; "I'll give you $700 for this item."... "well how about $800?"... "How about $600?" "Okay $700 it is" ha.

Or when they play the good guy and say "I know you are only asking $1,000, but your item is actually work $5,000 so we'll give you that."

or when they say "we are just too far apart, I'm not even going to insult you with an offer."

193kyle

So did it sell for $19K? I find that if multiple people offer about the same low price, then that is what the item is really worth. They are comparing it to other ads or the infamous "Blue Book Value".

The biggest problem I have with selling stuff is people wasting my time -- asking for my phone number and calling me to ask questions that the ad answers and setting up a time to look at the item and never showing up.

I get the impression that many people are simply looking to "steal" an item in order to resell it.

Nope, it hasn't sold. The truck does book for about $12,500 but I have another $10k invested in it. And I certainly understand that I won't get all my money back, but offering me $6500 less than my asking price isn't even in the ballpark, especially when they haven't even seen the truck yet....

Caleb

The thing that drives me nuts about listing on KSL...even more so than the low ballers is the "services" that will help you sell your crap. If they are so certain they can sell it for more, then they should buy it from me and sell it for a profit.

ttora4runner

When I was trying to sell my Corolla on craigslist I got sick of scammers and other phone calls and ended up posting this at the end of the ad:

A bit of a **Disclaimer**, if you don't speak English or enough English so I can understand you I'll hang up. Sorry, but I don't speak Spanish, French, Chinese, Japanese, Portuguese, etc (you get the picture). If your a scammer get a real hobby and make something of your life instead of wasting peoples time

Needless, to say I people can't read since it didn't work.

Last edited:

rondo

rondo
I had some MREs for sale (meals ready to eat) and always get lots of calls. one dude was a lowballer. so I had these 5 for like 5$ each. he says i'll give you 20. I say i'll take 25. he was persistent i'll give him that. after 2 days of back and forth I finally said ok, 20$ it is. come get 4 MREs :) never heard from him again lol

ID Bronco

Exactly. If someone isn't even willing to look at it before negotiating, it tells me they're just looking to flip it for more later.

I understand your logic, but I also understand that because a rig is "clean" and shows well it probably doesn't justify a huge price difference. The one thing 193Kyle needs to understand too is most people in the 17K mark are getting a loan and the bank won't loan on "upgrades". Maybe it's better that they offer you low instead of you showing it ten times and getting ten rejections from banks on all these people.

I think it's a glass half full kind of thing.