I hate Craigslist Lowballers...

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I could also title this thread "I'm a dick...", but thought I'd explain a little more. :D

I have listed my little utility trailer for sale on the local Craigslist, I have bought and sold many items on CL and find that most people that contact you are usually flakes, possible buyers have no intention of following thru and sellers descriptions are usually more than a little hopeful. I try not to be a CL Jerk, don't make low-ball offers on something sight unseen, etc.

So enter my ad... - http://westslope.craigslist.org/for/4509577216.html

Yes, it needs a tail light... you can pick them up for $10 at Harbor Freight. It's not perfect, but when I usually list stuff for sale I try to be honest about the condition, fair on the price and include pics so anyone interested has a good idea of what to expect. I have it priced at $300, which is about what I have into it and I feel like it's a good price. If someone showed up and looked at it, talked and made an offer of $250 I'd consider it. I want to buy something a little bigger and could use the money to do just that.

I've had a few interested emails so far... I HATE lowballers. So I decided to mess with this jackass lowballer....

Lowballer said:
Hi there.

Would you take $150 - $175 for this trailer?

Me said:
How about free, would that be better?

Lowballler said:
That would be great

Me said:
*silence*

Lowballer said:
When can I come get it

Me said:
*silence*

So I've been thinking how to play this... I think I'm just going to make him wait until tomorrow, when I can either tell him I sold it after a full price offer or just unload on him and tell him it's simply insulting to offer 1/2 the price for any item, especially without taking the time to meet up face to face, see the condition of said item, come up with reasons to justify a lower offer, etc, etc.

So yeah... I know, I'm a dick... :p But at least I'm not a Craigslist lowballer...

RogueJeepr

Here!
That crap never happens with ksl.com!

They have thier fair share of lowballers. But it depends on what they are selling .
In my ads i put (Serious inquries only)(FIRM) and such wich helps a bit. But be honest and tell him firm right away. Playing games is just dumb .

Last thing I sold . A guy came from Orem to look at it. Another called while he was looking at it and I told him I'd call him back when I was done. It sold it and I texted the guy back it was sold before he would even come out. All I was trying to do was not have 2 guys looking at it at the same time.
He sent me a nasty txt back about how I never let him look at it. Booo Hoo . I got my money.:D

Last edited:

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
My favorite is the 15 automated texts I get as soon as I post an item. "Is it still for sale" yup listed it 37 sec ago. What is your final asking price. F off and die scammer

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
When I get lowballed, I just raise my price to match how much they lowered it.

"$300"
"Would you take $150?"
"Would you give me $450 for it?"

It always seems to confuse the person. Then they talk you down to $300 and everyone wins.

Reactions: H-K

Greg

Admin
Free + $300 fee for being a jackass?

Seriously, free + a $300 jackass fee... I like that!

Craigslist?? That's your problem. That crap never happens with ksl.com!

I've dealt with a few winners from KSL as well, like the guy with a FZJ80 in Draper. His listing indicated that he had a pretty clean Land Cruiser that was pretty well built up and was a fair price. I explained to him that I was coming from Colorado to look at it and ask him if everything was as described. After driving for hours to look at it, from 20 feet away you could tell that it had a super shitty paint job and it was peeling in places. He swore up and down but it had not been repainted when was blatantly obvious. I was super pissed, did not buy it of course and ended up in a different Land Cruiser which I paid a little more money for, but there were no surprises with that one.

Greg,

I appreciate your 2 cents on the topic of Craig's list low ballers. I would like to offer you 1 cent for it.

:)

Sincerely,
Craig L.
Or email me at doucheyMcrodsniffer@sightynseencheapskate.com

:cody:

They have thier fair share of lowballers. But it depends on what they are selling .
In my ads i put (Serious inquries only)(FIRM) and such wich helps a bit. But be honest and tell him firm right away. Playing games is just dumb .

Last thing I sold . A guy came from Orem to look at it. Another called while he was looking at it and I told him I'd call him back when I was done. It sold it and I texted the guy back it was sold before he would even come out. All I was trying to do was not have 2 guys looking at it at the same time.
He sent me a nasty txt back about how I never let him look at it. Booo Hoo . I got my money.:D

I'm going to let it ride, if he is dumb enough to make an insulting offer and think of that's okay then he's going to reap his reward.

Greg

Admin
When I get lowballed, I just raise my price to match how much they lowered it.

"$300"
"Would you take $150?"
"Would you give me $450 for it?"

It always seems to confuse the person. Then they talk you down to $300 and everyone wins.

:rofl:

This trailer is going to get expensive, going from free to $450.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
I hate the good offers that are sight unseen. Example item is for sale for 350$ and they say "will you take 300?" you agree, and then they show up and say I will give you 150$.

Greg

Admin
I hate the good offers that are sight unseen. Example item is for sale for 350$ and they say "will you take 300?" you agree, and then they show up and say I will give you 150$.

I've not had that one happen to me yet, but if somebody tried that with me, they would probably hear two words in response and that would be it.... "F%$# off!"

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I think its a plague from the History Channel shows that show how guys go from $200 stuff to $100k motor homes in six transactions. Now everyone thinks they are a bitchin negotiator when they show up and piss you off. I ask them if they want to try again and if they say the same thing I tell them full asking price and turn around to what I was doing when they showed up

Last edited:
Reactions: H-K

sixstringsteve

I find more lowballers on KSL than craigslist. In fact, I prefer dealing with craigslist because most people aren't from Utah and they're easier to deal with.

ID Bronco

I don't like it either, but you know what you are getting into, why worry, fret, get pissed about an idiot? Life's too short for that.

I sound like the exception, but I like getting a good deal on craiglslist items. I like dickering on price, I expect some of that when I place an ad on there. To me it's like a glorified garage sale.

Other than my bronco that I had 8 times the money into as what I was asking, I don't get offended at low offers. I just let them know we are miles apart and when they are serious to call me back. I find that if I do not allow texting, less riff raff contact me.

Good luck!

I'm with ID Bronco. Negotiating is the name of the game on any online forum. I will often do it sight unseen if I'm confident of the condition. No reason to see the item if the seller is going to stick on some high price. If your price is firm, say so in the posting. If you only have a little room to negotiate, say so. Otherwise, play the game. If you don't specify where you are at, expect to get a bunch of low-ball offers. I wouldn't jerk people around - scammers excepted.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Some people were raised without the benefit of learning any respect or they decided to be jerks later in life.
It's a fine line between bartering and insulting.

But respect generally reaps the reward of respect.

They guy I sold my V8 YJ to still call me and PAYS me to work on the Jeep for him from time to time because he is respectful and polite.

I would just tell the guy politely "NO" and that your price is firm and ignore him from then on.

I do share your distaste for the "double negotiation move," super lame to bargain on the phone then try to bargain after you show up.